2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

HP to expect after mods

OK so I have a 2000 SS. current mods are a hypertech tune, lid, and catback.

In the near future it will have Lid, LS6 intake, pacesetters, full exhaust, 160 thermo and a frost tune.

How well should I expect to do on the dyno. 75K on the motor, well maintained

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

ditch the hypretech HTT III, and sell it. it will lean out your car at higher RPMs that the stock tune. i know from experience and have the dyno sheets to prove this.

i would guess you currently have around 325/330 at the rear right now.

also, from personal experience, skip the Ls6 intake, especially if you plan to do H/C down the road. it's a waste of money. find a FAST 90/90 combo and port it once/if you get heads.

also, there is no need to doule list what you car will have in the future, since we already know you currently have a lid and catback. really all youre adding are LT's, 160 themro (not a power marker), and then a general mail order tune.

i would suspect at best after all the mods, around 360/365 to the ground

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    ditch the hypretech HTT III, and sell it. it will lean out your car at higher RPMs that the stock tune. i know from experience and have the dyno sheets to prove this.

also, from personal experience, skip the Ls6 intake, especially if you plan to do H/C down the road. it's a waste of money. find a FAST 90/90 combo and port it once/if you get heads.

also, there is no need to doule list what you car will have in the future, since we already know you currently have a lid and catback. really all youre adding are LT's, 160 themro (not a power marker), and then a general mail order tune.

Depends on the dyno too. Mustang dyno may only give him 340's.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

isn't that a bit ambitious since he doesn't have an ls6 intake? i'm a y2k with the same mods I only put down 315/315 on a dynojet
    M6, MS3 Cam, FAST 92/92, LS7 Clutch, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, Lid, K&N, OBX LT's, 3in ORX True Duals, KYB AGX shocks, BMR 3-Point SFCs, BMR springs, BMR Adj. PHR, LCA Relos, STB, 315 NT555Rs, DeepDish C5Z06s.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

No, because I have my stock dyno run for my 2000 SS and I put down 325/330 to the rear after detuning the HPP III back to the stock tune on a dyno jet. If you want me to post it I will once I get home this evening.

Also, my SS is an M6. You dyno'd slightly lower because you have an A4. It's proven that autos suffer more powerloss than a manual.
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 10-02-2010 at 05:46 PM.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

No, because I have my stock dyno run for my 2000 SS and I put down 325/330 to the rear after detuning the HPP III back to the stock tune on a dyno jet. If you want me to post it I will once I get home this evening.

Also, my SS is an M6. You dyno'd slightly lower because you have an A4. It's proven that autos suffer more powerloss than a manual.
    O woops I didn't realize he was an m6, O and for the record do dynojets give higher or lower numbers than mustang dynos?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I only double listed the lid....I'm ditching the cat back and getting and x pipe with 3" all the way back and no cats.

I didn't do the hypertech, it was on the car when I got it, and the LS6 intake and thermo came with the car, so I figure I'll throw them on

And Im contemplating heads and cam, but nothing too crazy, mild cam and 243 heads if I do anything.

Next on my to-do list is pay for a lot of non auto things, then tires, then new hydraulics, I'm getting a little bypass...I might as well do a new clutch while I'm there, just gotta decide on OEM or aftermarket
    Last edited by Spikito; 10-02-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: H/c

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Except for Andy, were all from Texas, lol I'm only about 2 hours from DFW

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I can confirm what SSwt00SS is stating about the hypertech, its junk, ditch it.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

12.8 at 109

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    O woops I didn't realize he was an m6, O and for the record do dynojets give higher or lower numbers than mustang dynos?
    Mustang dyno will give less hp numbers because the put a road force on the runs.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I can confirm what SSwt00SS is stating about the hypertech, its junk, ditch it.
    Yeah I didnt think they were anything special, but it came with the car...but my PCM will be going to frost as soon as I get my bolt ons added..

Curtis......WTF?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Like it was said depends on the dyno could be 350 or 360+ the brand of dyno makes a difference. Too me itjust matters from the seat of the pants feel 1/4 mile and dyno numbers don't matter to me just how much fun it is to drive.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    12.8 at 109

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    Yeah I didnt think they were anything special, but it came with the car...but my PCM will be going to frost as soon as I get my bolt ons added..

Curtis......WTF?
    Sounds like my combo, LT, ORY, exhaust, but no LS6 intake. I ran 7 runs at 109+ , with a best of 12.89 @ 109.85, 3 Octobers ago, 9 months after my LT/ORY combination, no tune. I've been tuned since, going to the Drag strip in a couple weeks, hoping for nice cool weather like 3 years ago to put down some more 109s. Probably no 12s for me tho, my tires are just about worn out.

I think Curtis and I believe more in track times then dyno times for power output.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

well yeah, but my closest track got shut down, so I'm hoping to pull out some numbers, then make a weekend trip to track somewhere

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

do you have the actual HPPIII handheld unit or not? if so, set it back to the stock tune and sell it along with the Ls6 intake, and there you will have $500-550 in funds for a FAST intake/TB combo. It's worth it, trust me.

here is my stock SS dyno run from back in 2006. these are the numbers after taking the HPIII off and on the stock tune.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Yeah I have the unit, but it cane with the car, already tuned....when I bought it, the guy had bought the tuner a few years before, and used it, then he bought the intake, headers , and thermostat....but never installed them
    LS6 intake, Pacesetters, TSP rumbler !EGR, !AIR, 295/35 BFG KDW II's, UMI Adj LCAs. Tick Master Cylinder, LS7 Clutch and flywheel, Pro 5.0, Lous short stick, Frost Tune.

Hate to predict anything. Dyno's are all over the place. The main thing is to have a good tuner there that can dial your car in where it makes best power, that's really what dyno's are for.

Then where ever it falls, it is what it is. At least you know you've gotten the most out of the combo you have.

Thread Information