Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

How's this deal sound? ...'00 SS, needs some work.

I found this online over the weekend...

'00 SS, NBM w/tan leather, T-tops, A4, 71K.

Needs brakes, a tune-up, and driver's door color does not match rest of the car. Door was swapped because power window motor let go, as the story goes.

I saw pics,and from what I can tell the rest of the car and interior looks pretty clean.

Listed price was 10k, seller told me they'd let it go for 8k.

I talked to a body shop today, they said between six and seven hundred to paint the door and blend it into the fender and quarter.

Brakes and tune would run....????

I'm thinking maybe total investment of under 9,500?

Sound good?

Either this or a loaded 65K mile '00 Formy A4 with T's, leather, and new 17" chrome wheels and tires for 10k. Going to see this one on Wed.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    and driver's door color does not match rest of the car. Door was swapped because power window motor let go, as the story goes.

I have a hard time believing someone swapped an entire door out because the window motor failed. This also means you wouldn't have the correct RPO codes on this particular car.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post

I have a hard time believing someone swapped an entire door out because the window motor failed. This also means you wouldn't have the correct RPO codes on this particular car.

I know.... body shop guy said the same thing. Honestly, I don't care if the door WAS hit, as long as it's just the door. Good point about the RPO codes though. They don't have the original door, it was the first thing I asked. The interior matches though, so at least they swapped the original door panelback in.

One guy on the Appearance board said he's heard of the door swap being done for the window motor before though.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I know.... body shop guy said the same thing. Honestly, I don't care if the door WAS hit, as long as it's just the door. Good point about the RPO codes though. They don't have the original door, it was the first thing I asked. The interior matches though, so at least they swapped the original door panelback in.

One guy on the Appearance board said he's heard of the door swap being done for the window motor before though.
    But, and this is a big "but", if they are being dishonest about the reason behind the door swap, what else are they not disclosing. I personally wouldn't pursue that one any further.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

My door did not have the RPO codes either, I contacted GM on it, they said....

The first option would be contacting your local GM dealership to provide you a copy of vehicle build. (I was able to get info here)
    OR
    The second option would be product guide with full specs information located through media on line website: http://media.gm.com/ca/gm/en/product...000Camaro.html
    OR
    The third option would be a to obtain a Build Sheet on your Camaro, you may contact GM Vintage at (905) 440-7689 by telephone or (905)440-7644 by fax. Please be aware that there may be a charge for the service. (I also contacted & received documents from here)

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I would go for that 00 formula, sounds like a better deal

Black
    99 SS

go with the formy

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

For a little bit more money with no problems plus more rarity, less miles. Try to talk it down you might be able to get it cheaper then 9,500. Only thing is that the NMB is a sexy color. What color is the formula?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    But, and this is a big "but", if they are being dishonest about the reason behind the door swap, what else are they not disclosing. I personally wouldn't pursue that one any further.
    I said the same thing about swapping a door out for a window motor BS!!!!!
    I agree with Pewter -anyone who would bs about that wouldnt have a problem bsing about other things. IMO

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    For a little bit more money with no problems plus more rarity, less miles. Try to talk it down you might be able to get it cheaper then 9,500. Only thing is that the NMB is a sexy color. What color is the formula?
    Well they said they'd take 8k for the SS. The Formy is the same colors, NBM w/tan leather.

I talked to the guy about the Formy, he said he's pretty firm on the price.

I looked it up, only 306 A4 '00 SS's made in NBM.

Not sure about the Formy, although the total production of them in '00 was about 1,300.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

What do you mean by it needs a tune? - IMO sounds like something isnt right.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Go with the formy and forget the SS. That SS sounds like it has seen better days.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Swapping a door to fix a window regulator! HaHa!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Go with the formy and forget the SS. That SS sounds like it has seen better days.
    I agree with him on this. 8 gs seems a bit suspicious to me plus the whole " We changed out the door because of the window motor and dont have the original door" thing. If you spend a little more for a car and dont always go for the lowest price you can find most of the time you will get a better car. Alot of these people selling junk are hoping for some young inexperienced kid to look at their car. Like that guy said to you earlier " Patience young grasshopper". hahahahahaha I love that.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Still any of the cars that are NMB is going to be sexy and kind of rare. I think there is more Camaros NMB then the the birds. I agree with the changing the door thing. The power window motor is only like 80 or 90 bucks, no one is that dumb to buy a new door. I bet it was hit or something.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Still any of the cars that are NMB is going to be sexy and kind of rare. I think there is more Camaros NMB then the the birds. I agree with the changing the door thing. The power window motor is only like 80 or 90 bucks, no one is that dumb to buy a new door. I bet it was hit or something.

The body shop guy said the same thing, that the expense of the door is way beyond the cost of the window motor. He told me to check it out very carefully.

As far as a tune, they said it needed a tuneup, so I'm thinking plugs, wires and whatnot. Probably just a necessity because of the age/mileage.

Anyway...

I looked at the Formy today.

It really IS very clean. The interior looks near mint, it's tan and I couldn't find any stains anywhere, and the leather on the driver's seat is in great shape, no rips or tears at all. Mirrors and driver's seat work, and the A/C blows cold. Fogs and headlights work just fine too.

Outside looks great, no dings or dents, just a few minor surface scratches that look like they could be buffed out. Drivers door has a few chips in it on the edge, it looks like it was opened into something at one point. I have the same damage on my Jeep actually, looks like touchup paint would do the trick.

There are a few scrapes under the nose, looks like from parking lot barriers. You can't see them from above though, just below.

Tires are pretty good, wheels are UGLY though, at least IMO.

Drives really nice, seems nice and tight, no rattles.

It's also bone stock, except for the wheels. Not even a lid or aftermarket stereo.

Only thing that concerned me was a kind of whirring noise coming from underneath the hood. I popped the hood and tried to figure out what it was, but couldn't trace it. Sounded like a sucking noise almost, but it also had a whirring, rotating sound to it, if that makes any sense.

He's firm on the 10k price, but it seems fair. Book retail is about 12,700.

I think I'm going to go for it.

I just want to hear and drive another for comparison's sake. There's a local dealer with an '01 w/21k on it. Maybe I'll drive that one for the heck of it. They want 17k for it, so it's out of the question, but it might make a good comparison.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Im not sure about the wiring noise but if everyone on here says its ok and not to worry about it, I would buy it. and dont forget to post pix

Red
    2000 SS

The noise could be the AIR pump. My car makes a noise, my Dad's 98 SS makes a noise as well. Does the noise stop after a bit? Sounds like a nice car though. Post up some pics man.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Something just smells fishy about the whole deal with the door being swapped cause the window motor went out. Who the hell goes and replaces a perfectly fine door in perfect condition (not hit in accident excluding normal wear and tear) because a window motor went out? . I don't know...if I were you I'd pass 'er up.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Window motor replacement=$50 at your local O'Reilleys

Thread Information