Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How much slower are the verts compared to the coup

This is a discussion on How much slower are the verts compared to the coup within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Z28 Coupe 3411 6sp 3433 auto Z28 Convertible 3554 6sp 3577 auto so around 140 lbs...think about going to the ...

Black
    99 WS6

Z28 Coupe

3411 6sp 3433 auto

Z28 Convertible

3554 6sp 3577 auto

so around 140 lbs...think about going to the track with an extra person riding with you. not much of a difference to most people but will make a few tenths of a second at the track

Minimal difference. I seriously doubt it would be more than a tenth or two in the 1/4mi. I have no problem hanging with similiar coupes. If you want a vert don't let a performance gap sway you because there isn't one.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

If you want a Vert, get one. Don't worry about the performance.

I can go racing at the track. Then cruise the beach.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

Black
    99 WS6

try making a pass at your track by yourself then get your buddy to ride with and compare the time slips...there's a big difference between a 13.2 and a 13.7. why do you think people remove their sound system weighing only half that amount every time that go to the track?

I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a convertible. You will still walk over 90% of the cars out there I'm just saying there will be a difference.
    Last edited by iwannagofast; 06-10-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
    Z28 Coupe

3411 6sp 3433 auto

Z28 Convertible

3554 6sp 3577 auto

so around 140 lbs...think about going to the track with an extra person riding with you. not much of a difference to most people but will make a few tenths of a second at the track
    Nope,,,100 lbs. is roughly a tenth. Did you just pull those numbers out of a book????
    Because that wouldn't be "real world" comparisons.

try making a pass at your track by yourself then get your buddy to ride with and compare the time slips...there's a big difference between a 13.2 and a 13.7. why do you think people remove their sound system weighing only half that amount every time that go to the track?

I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a convertible. You will still walk over 90% of the cars out there I'm just saying there will be a difference.
    Been there done that. No difference.

Friend of mine had a 98 Z28 auto with t-tops. I was running my 02 SS convertable auto.

His 98 was stock other than,,,
    magnaflow catback with an offroad SLP Ypipe still utilizing the stock manifolds. He also had a tune and 3:73 gears.

My 02 SS was bone stock down to the paper air filter....I also had a tune done by me with HPtuner. That was it.

We ran nearly side by side all day long.
    My best was a 13.40 at 105 mph but I never slowed below 13.44, car was deadly consistent.

His best was a 13.32 at 105 mph. He was in th 30's most of the day.

We had identical MPH's all day long, but he ET'd just a shade better,,,although he had a 3:73 gear verses my stock 3:23.

His car was a tick lighter than mine on the scales that day, but just not enough to matter evidently as you can see.

No way 100lbs makes .5 second difference more like a tenth. Anyone who removes 50lbs of sound system for a 1/4mi run is a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Minimal difference. I seriously doubt it would be more than a tenth or two in the 1/4mi. I have no problem hanging with similiar coupes. If you want a vert don't let a performance gap sway you because there isn't one.

The ole wise tail goes back to the 50's and 60's when convertables were actually 2-300 lbs. heavier. Back then they had big heavy X-frames for structural integrity as well as big bulky/heavy convertable top mechanisms.

Nowadays with advances in design, unibodies, plastic parts, etc...you just don't have the heft in the verts that you once did.

Shucks the only difference in the unibody structure between a 4th gen vert and a roof car,,,is a silly little flimsy Xbrace in the driveshaft tunnel that's held on by a few measly 12mm bolts. It weighs a whole 3 lbs. hahaha.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-10-2009 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    No way 100lbs makes .5 second difference more like a tenth. Anyone who removes 50lbs of sound system for a 1/4mi run is a fool.
    Yup,,,I always get a chuckle at the track when I see all the little foreign cars removing seats, spare tires etc....makes the pits look like a swap meet

Just run what ya brung, and run it like ya drive it on the street if ya want a real world timeslip.

Black
    99 WS6

my roommate has an 05 daytona ram with a hemi weighing around 5500 lbs. he runs consistent 12.6s in the 1000 ft by himself but runs around 12.9 with a passenger on the same night.

my roommate has an 05 daytona ram with a hemi weighing around 5500 lbs. he runs consistent 12.6s in the 1000 ft by himself but runs around 12.9 with a passenger on the same night.
    Does that passenger weigh 300 lbs.???

All kidding aside,,,I'm curious about that 1000 ft. timeslip,,,that was relegated to top fuel racing. Has your track forced the street cars to the same misfortune??

Black
    99 WS6

our strip has always been 1000ft...the closest 1/4 mile track to us is about 4 hours away. my 99 ws6 runs 11.0 @ 95 in the 1000ft but should hit around 13.1-13.3 in the 1/4. i had a 95 deville that would run 11.7 @ 93. that caddy sure was a sleeper

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yup,,,I always get a chuckle at the track when I see all the little foreign cars removing seats, spare tires etc....makes the pits look like a swap meet

Just run what ya brung, and run it like ya drive it on the street if ya want a real world timeslip.
    I still have AC, full interior. Nothing stripped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I still have AC, full interior. Nothing stripped.
    Thats the way I do it too I've even rolled into the track while out with the family, and have a couple bags in the trunk from shopping

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Thats the way I do it too I've even rolled into the track while out with the family, and have a couple bags in the trunk from shopping
    Haha, I have done that too when I was running DR's.

And how heavy was the passenger? Plus how do you know everything was equal on each run? Were there several runs in the 12.6s the same night? Rule of thumb is .1 = 100lbs. A stock vert versus a stock coupe is a drivers race at best there is a gap of a tenth or two.

Silver
    1998 z28 convertible

I have a convertible and when the top is down it seems a hair slower than if the top where up but even then its still not much of a difference. I personally like convertibles better than hardtops and I think you would too. I was the same way didn't really know if I wanted one then I ran across one for a reasonable price and my dad talked me into it. One of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

Black
    99 WS6

either way you still wont have a problem with most cars...unless you really care about a few tenths of a second just get the vert...chicks dig it

Quote Originally Posted by 1998z28 View Post
    I have a convertible and when the top is down it seems a hair slower than if the top where up

That is usually the opposite for most people. You know???

Putting the top down, wind blowing everywhere on a dark lonely narrow road,,,,picking up speed at a rapid pace,,,when 100 mph feels like 130 mph,,,because there is always a little of that pucker factor creeping in

Ever notice the smaller the car (or road) the more this affect takes place???

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

'Verts are slow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information