Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much HP??

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

How much HP??

I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 A4 with a SLP lid, free mod, C5 drop in K&N filter, custom tune and Magnaflow exhuast. About how much power should I be putting down to the wheels with these modes? I live in New Orleans, LA. I haven't dynoed this one yet. It seems like it pulls about twice as hard as it did before. It breaks the tires lose (pretty good) when it shifts into second gear. I cannot race in a curve for sure. I would bring the back end around. The guy that did the tune said he just dynoed a 2002 Z28 about a month before that. It had the exact same mods as me and it dynoed at 345rwhp. Does this sound about right?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You are probably in the 310-315 RWHP range. LS1's that dyno in the 345 RWHP range typically need full exhaust(long tubes, y-pipe and catback) and that is manual trannies. Automatic transmission+LS1 combos are generally in the 330 RWHP range with full exhaust.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    You are probably in the 310-315 RWHP range. LS1's that dyno in the 345 RWHP range typically need full exhaust(long tubes, y-pipe and catback) and that is manual trannies. Automatic transmission+LS1 combos are generally in the 330 RWHP range with full exhaust.
    I am going to try and dyno it friday. I'll let you know what it makes. I sure thought that might be a little far fetched. I don't want to name the shop because they are a sponser on this site but he said that a stock 2002 Z28 A4makes around 290rwhp to 305rwhp. He said that the SLP lid, free mod and K&N filter added about 15rwhp. The magnaflow exhaust added between 10-15rwhp and the Custom tune made 15-20rwhp.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by odarabla View Post
    the SLP lid, free mod and K&N filter added about 15rwhp.
    Very optimistic estimate, I'd think more like 10
    the Custom tune made 15-20rwhp.
    With no other mods than what you mentioned, this is probably optimistic too.

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    Very optimistic estimate, I'd think more like 10

With no other mods than what you mentioned, this is probably optimistic too.
    This is something I found on gmhightechperformance.com So these numbers might not be to off target. Also, I am getting 2 different base #'s on the 2002 Z28. Some sites say 310hp and 340lb torque and others say 325hp and 350lb torque. Which one is right. I also found out that the 2002 Z28 had the LS6 TB and intake manifold, also some 2002 Z28 has a LS6 block.

The Cars
    "Ringers! They're all factory ringers!" cry our slow-shifting skeptics. Has GM been stacking the deck in its press fleet? We knew these cars were underrated from the factory, but when we strapped a 2001 SS on the dyno and saw 321 horsepower and 341 lbs.-ft. of torque, even we began to wonder if that might be the case. Subsequent feedback from other LS1 F-body owners would lead us to believe that while our results were certainly not typical, they were not unheard of.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

This is something I found on gmhightechperformance.com So these numbers might not be to off target. Also, I am getting 2 different base #'s on the 2002 Z28. Some sites say 310hp and 340lb torque and others say 325hp and 350lb torque. Which one is right. I also found out that the 2002 Z28 had the LS6 TB and intake manifold, also some 2002 Z28 has a LS6 block.

The Cars
    "Ringers! They're all factory ringers!" cry our slow-shifting skeptics. Has GM been stacking the deck in its press fleet? We knew these cars were underrated from the factory, but when we strapped a 2001 SS on the dyno and saw 321 horsepower and 341 lbs.-ft. of torque, even we began to wonder if that might be the case. Subsequent feedback from other LS1 F-body owners would lead us to believe that while our results were certainly not typical, they were not unheard of.
    Its been well known for quite a while that the LS1 was way underrated in terms of HP from GM. I have personally witnessed a bone stock 2002 LS1 dyno 350 RWHP on a dynojet before. He was a manual transmission though. There are freaks out there that dyno high. With you being an automatic though, thats one factor against you right there. Automatics are not dyno queens. If I took the advertised HP from all the bolt ons currently on my car and added them up, it would accumulate to 450 HP, which is not accurate by any means. I am not trying to be negative towards you, I do hope you are very pleased with your results, I just don't want you getting highly discouraged.

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

Its been well known for quite a while that the LS1 was way underrated in terms of HP from GM. I have personally witnessed a bone stock 2002 LS1 dyno 350 RWHP on a dynojet before. He was a manual transmission though. There are freaks out there that dyno high. With you being an automatic though, thats one factor against you right there. Automatics are not dyno queens. If I took the advertised HP from all the bolt ons currently on my car and added them up, it would accumulate to 450 HP, which is not accurate by any means. I am not trying to be negative towards you, I do hope you are very pleased with your results, I just don't want you getting highly discouraged.
    I am not discouraged. I am very happy with the performance of my car. It sometimes scares me how fast it really is. When I first got it I wasn't impressed at all. But after just these few mods I am very well impressed. I have to be careful when I punch it that I am in a straight line. Because the car will come around on me. I cannot punch it from a dead stop without roasting the tires. I pulled away from my friends 2007 Mustang GT m5 with ease. I pulled him about 4-5 cars in a street race. And from 20mph to 110mph I had him about 6-7 lengths. When I first got the car and we raced I couldn't pull on him at all. We ran dead even. Thats when I found out that the car was tuned to run rich.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I am not discouraged. I am very happy with the performance of my car. It sometimes scares me how fast it really is. When I first got it I wasn't impressed at all. But after just these few mods I am very well impressed. I have to be careful when I punch it that I am in a straight line. Because the car will come around on me. I cannot punch it from a dead stop without roasting the tires. I pulled away from my friends 2007 Mustang GT m5 with ease. I pulled him about 4-5 cars in a street race. And from 20mph to 110mph I had him about 6-7 lengths. When I first got the car and we raced I couldn't pull on him at all. We ran dead even. Thats when I found out that the car was tuned to run rich.
    The LS1 responds to mods very well

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Also, I am getting 2 different base #'s on the 2002 Z28. Some sites say 310hp and 340lb torque and others say 325hp and 350lb torque. Which one is right. I also found out that the 2002 Z28 had the LS6 TB and intake manifold, also some 2002 Z28 has a LS6 block.
    Although they are really just advertising numbers, (as already stated, they are underrated) the '01-'02 Z28 was factory rated at 310 hp, the '01-'02 base SS was factory rated at 325 hp.
    All '01-'02 LS1's had the LS6 intake. TB's were no different from '00.

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

The LS1 responds to mods very well
    I am setting up a race with a friend of mine that has a 2000 formula with full exhaust intake and 355 gears. He said he doesn't have a tune but he does have all of the o2 censors turned off because of the off road exhaust. He said his car runs mid 12's on the track. I guess we will see. Also Thunder racing said I might have gears in the rear end because my rear end humms and at 70mph my rpms are at 2300. They said if I had stock 3.23 gears that my rpms would be somewhere around 1800.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I thought only SS's came with 3.23 gears? my car revs at around 2000 RPMS going 70.

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I thought only SS's came with 3.23 gears? my car revs at around 2000 RPMS going 70.
    From what I understand all 2001 and 2002 camaro Z28/SS A4 came with 3.23 gears stock.

Black
    2002 Camaro ss

Thumbs up

Hey Oraraba:

I appreciate what you have going on with the shift from 1st
    to 2nd gear. My car runs great for what it is, but there is no way my car will do that. I guess I need a tune like you had done. There is a place about
    150 miles from where I live called vector motorsports, I believe, I have heard some good things about them. I was going to put in a 3600 stall and then get a tune, but if a good tune will do what you describe, well ........
    All the best.

jess

__________________________________________________ ______
    2002 ss - Black - A4 - 323 - SLP loudmouth 11 - SLP lid - SLP # 5846

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    Hey Oraraba:

to 2nd gear. My car runs great for what it is, but there is no way my car will do that. I guess I need a tune like you had done. There is a place about
    150 miles from where I live called vector motorsports, I believe, I have heard some good things about them. I was going to put in a 3600 stall and then get a tune, but if a good tune will do what you describe, well ........
    All the best.

jess

Ya, try it out and post the results. The bad thing about my car is I don't know everything that was done to the car before I got it. I found out that the car had sub frames already welded in place, they think the car might have 3.73 gears, a shift kit, The smog pump was removed, it already had a ratical tune in it but it was flooding the engine (had to retune it), they think it might have a stall and a small cam. I am still going to go through the car like it was stock and replace the parts but I won't know for sure what parts it already has until I do it. I will post the findings as I go along. My car is a 2002 A4 Z28 with 32,000 miles. Also I am going to try and get the car dynoed friday and I will post the results.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    Z28's have em too...mine is 99... and runs 70 at about 2000rpms too...

I checked the door and I have the 3.23's...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    Hey Oraraba:

All the best.

jess

My car chirps the tires from 1rst to 2nd... and it's almost stock... , I had some really good tires on in before... and it would do it just about everywhere...it wasn't really violent but it would do it...

Then I wonder why people never believe me when I say it's Automatic after I race them... LOL

As for your SS... doesn't it come with Traction Control...or Torque management...that could be causing the lack of spin...?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

From what I understand all 2001 and 2002 camaro Z28/SS A4 came with 3.23 gears stock.
    Stock rear gears for the Z28 with an A4 was 2.73's. These gears also came with a steel driveshaft. 3.23's were an option and came with an aluminum driveshaft. IIRC, all SS's with an A4 had 3.23's. All M6 cars regardless of SS or Z28 had 3.42 gears.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Stock rear gears for the Z28 with an A4 was 2.73's. These gears also came with a steel driveshaft. 3.23's were an option and came with an aluminum driveshaft. IIRC, all SS's with an A4 had 3.23's. All M6 cars regardless of SS or Z28 had 3.42 gears.
    Correct!

Silver
    2002 Z28

Back on original topic- Don't get your hopes up; the worst thing to do is to expect dyno numbers or track numbers... you'll almost always be disappointed. I've seen stock LS1s put down 270rwhp and also 340rwhp, but most are in the 280-300 range. With the mods you have you should be looking at about 315-325; throw on some LTs and get the car re-tuned for them, it will make everything else more efficient. Keep us updated!
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

my car made 306 Rwhp and 317 ft lbs. of torque with an SLP lid, smooth bellows, flowmaster cat-back, throttle body bypass, and a dirty K&N air filter.

Thread Information