Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

How much does new paint cost?

Im getting a good deal on an 01 SS. Only problem is that it needs new paint. The body has around 60k and the motor/trans/chasis has less than 5k. Its gotta cartek built motor, moser 12 bolt with 4.33's, stage 2 T56 etc...

The guy wants 12.5 for it, but the car needs to be repainted. I dont have access to a paint booth/sanders etc... so I will need to take it to a shop.

Just wondering if I should go ahead with buying it if it turns out to be a good car and was wondering how much new paint costs? Any good shops around the NJ area you guys would recomend??
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

No one knows??

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Are you wanting a cheap/quick job, solid in the middle quality job or something custom?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I don't want something cheap because I want a good re-sale value if I sell and the car will be a DD. I want a good quality job but nothing custo
    . I will most likley go with black or hugger orange.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Are you wanting a cheap/quick job, solid in the middle quality job or something custom?
    Preston here actually has the Crylon touch... with a rustoleum base coat of course!

I believe even a full body Maaco job is a couple grand. A quality paint job with same body color should be twice that easily.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

assuming you are keeping the same color and arent wanting besides a solid color shot on the whole car, $3500-4500 depending on if you are going to a shop or dealership.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My car was crashed (the 02) back in 2008. Cost to fix (+ repaint front wrap) = $9K....

I figure repaint (quality job) was approx, $1500 over body damage fix...

White
    1998 Trans Am

I paint cars same color for $2k but most shops here are $3k. My work is as good or better and has a warranty. Your far away so I'm not looking for work but don't let anyone BS you. If you get some estimates scan and email them to me and I can tell you where and if your getting screwed.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Im getting a good deal on an 01 SS. Only problem is that it needs new paint. The body has around 60k and the motor/trans/chasis has less than 5k. Its gotta cartek built motor, moser 12 bolt with 4.33's, stage 2 T56 etc...

The guy wants 12.5 for it, but the car needs to be repainted. I dont have access to a paint booth/sanders etc... so I will need to take it to a shop.

Just wondering if I should go ahead with buying it if it turns out to be a good car and was wondering how much new paint costs? Any good shops around the NJ area you guys would recomend??
    No shop I can recommend, but paint is just like the horsepower saying:

HP costs money, how much do you want to spend?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Price and quility are 2 differnt thing. My cars come out only one way perfect and reasonable prive. Go to a dealer and see the high price and low quality.

white
    1999 Trans AM 30th anniv.

a quality lob with gooood paint and wet sanded and buffed is going to run close to 3000 + extra for body damage--thats what we charge and most shops charge more for the same or less quality--you want to make sure they are wet sanding and buffing the finish after painting--

I don't want something cheap because I want a good re-sale value if I sell and the car will be a DD. I want a good quality job but nothing custo
    . I will most likley go with black or hugger orange.

When it comes to these 4th gens, make sure you buy one that is in the factory color you want. Because a color change is a major pain in the rump to do it right on these cars. The entire drivetrain will have to be pulled to spray the engine compartment, and I won't even mention the underside of the car.

If a color change is not done properly, it will kill your resale if you do indeed plan to sell it later. Hard to sell a black or orange car that has a silver engine compartment and floor pans. Raises a flag every time.

If you stay with the original color, you can get buy with a reasonable price that might even include jambing the car too if it needs it. If you want a color change done right, you can double the price easily.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Well the car is Sunset Orange Metallic. I guess I will keep the SOM, and have them re-paint it. I just cant find anyone around with a decent price.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Well the car is Sunset Orange Metallic. I guess I will keep the SOM, and have them re-paint it. I just cant find anyone around with a decent price.
    Um yeah...you BETTER keep it SOM!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    Um yeah...you BETTER keep it SOM!
    Does any1 know if macco is any good? The engine and underside seem to be good, its just the body/panels a little. I dont wanna spend more than I need to. I am checking it out on Friday so I will get a better understanding.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Well, SOM is a colour worth paying the extra $$$ for. And I cannot recommend Maco as a paint shop, unless they say they won't do it for more than a couple thousand dollars.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Does any1 know if macco is any good? The engine and underside seem to be good, its just the body/panels a little. I dont wanna spend more than I need to. I am checking it out on Friday so I will get a better understanding.
    Maaco is not good, you might as well leave it as is instead of flushing money away with them.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I quit MAACO because I couldn't lower myself to do that low quality work. Kinda what made me open my own place so I control quality. I charge $2k wet sanded buffed and sealed except reds. $3k is usually the norm.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I quit MAACO because I couldn't lower myself to do that low quality work. Kinda what made me open my own place so I control quality. I charge $2k wet sanded buffed and sealed except reds. $3k is usually the norm.
    Too bad you're not closer. You obviously take pride in your work, and I am buffing/cleaning the badly neglected paint on my '68 Le Mans ragtop. There is a shine under that oxidized layer, but it's old paint, doesn't even have clear coat.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

500 to 1000 for a crap job.
    2000 to 3000 for a good job.
    4000 plus for a custom job.

Spent 2200 on a paint job for my 68 skylark 455. Looked awful... so make sure you tell them exactly what you want. Base Coat, Clear Coat, wet sanded, etc... make sure you get an estimate on exactly what they are going to do in writing. Do not take their word for what they say they are going to do! I ended up learning to paint myself... I'm not fast or what i would consider to be great but mine looks better then the $2200 paint job. I think one thing you need to do is make sure that you get the wet sanding. Good Luck..
    Last edited by snlrulez; 07-01-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Thread Information