Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

none
    none

How long will the LS1 hold up?

Hi, I'm looking at buying a 00 z28 with 92,000 miles for like $9500, How long do these motors last? I drive rather hard usually but I don't wanna blow a motor or buy one that won't hold up for me. Would this be a bad car to get, i don't plan on modding it that much I plan on only doing a full exhaust and that's about all maybe intake, plenum, throttle body but most likely just exhaust. Any info would be great thanks guys. (I change oil every 3k miles and keep everything maintained as well...) So, will it last me to 175,000 miles? And do the transmitions in these cars hold up well? Sorry, I don't know much about the Camaro's and Trans am's.....Please help!

Thanks!

Black
    99 SS

to much money for that many miles man, try and find another one, "should" last that many miles, the transmission are not very good unless they are built up a bit

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

all depends on how you maintain it, that is alot of miles tho, and that price should be lower i'd say idk

Awaiting Activation
    to answer your question yes it can last that long. I have a friend who has 160,000 on his 1999 Z28 6spd and its still going strong and he beats the hell out of it.

I got 88 k on my 2002. Do a compression check or get a dyno to see how it has been maintained. My car got the dyno at around 80 k in Jan 06. seems to be running fine to me.
    Is everything else ok ?, Paint, no dings, seats not to worn ?, rotors good, window motors still strong ?, there is more to worry about than just the motor. Is it fully loaded ? http://www.kbb.com/
    Last edited by Danger731; 07-24-2006 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    to much money for that many miles man, try and find another one, "should" last that many miles, the transmission are not very good unless they are built up a bit
    Dont listen to him...the trannies are very strong if you maintain it and you don't take shortcuts. The stock M6 will be more than enough to last you to 200k as long as you dont do anything too outrageous (I believe they are rated to 600 RWHP). The 4l60E is a little weaker and prolly won't last as long, but still not that bad if you don't run your car into the ground. Good luck! P.S. I bought my 02 Z28 Fully loaded (leather, ttops, hurst, etc.) M6 bone stock with ext warranty and one owner who was 43 with 78k miles for 10 grand. (Prolly shoulda paid around 13 to 15 for it) But for a 2000, if its an auto dont pay more than 9k and if its a stick 10k. My 2 cents!

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

that's a lot of miles for that price. blue book is prolly on close to $8K. do your homework. don't jump into the first car you see. i picked mine up, for 5K. i have 175K on the clock, and it runs strong, with no problems. and it's all stock, except an exhaust cut out.. (not my doing). Most people will probably tell you to go for an 01-02 model cause of various upgrades compared to the earlier models. but i still think $9K is too much for a car with that many miles. also, is it t tops, leather, etc... i would find a RPO list, and take that with you, so you can see what options came on the car compared to what might actually be on the car. I.e leather seat option v.s. cloth actually being in the car.

sunset orange
    2001 SS VERT

I agree with these guys theres better deals out there. Sometimes you may have to drive a lil bit to get the deal you need. I know many guys on here that traveled across states for their cars. Good luck

none
    none

Thanks guys, I doubt I will be getting this one, but, it's hard to find a z28 (I'd like to get an SS but, those are even more....) In my area there arn't many AT ALL. I have yet to find one at a dealer or by owner for sale within a 50 mile radius or so. That one that i found is about 3 1.2 hours away from where i am. The thing is I don't have much money saved up, i'm just relying on the trade in for my 01 stang gt.....I don' tknow of anybody who would wanna get a GT after having a Camaro.....or Trans am for that matter....I dunno I guess there is time.....(I just liked the thought of being able to trade in my car and be able to get a z28'n have money left over to put in a full exhaust....) Oh, well, thanks for the help guys!

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

my 01 z28 m6 dynos over 350 rwhp, has seen alot of track use, street races, spirited driving and autox races.

I just turned 100,000 miles and the only thing I have had to replace was the water pump.

A guy on ls1tech.com had 184,000 miles on his ls1 before spinning a bearing but he was also low on oil.

Another buddy of mine on lsall.com has 160,000 miles and the car still screams.

Ls1 do last, but then again it comes down to how well do you maintain it. Also do you drive the car hard or beat on it. there is a difference

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09 View Post
    Dont listen to him...the trannies are very strong if you maintain it and you don't take shortcuts. The stock M6 will be more than enough to last you to 200k as long as you dont do anything too outrageous (I believe they are rated to 600 RWHP). The 4l60E is a little weaker and prolly won't last as long, but still not that bad if you don't run your car into the ground. Good luck! P.S. I bought my 02 Z28 Fully loaded (leather, ttops, hurst, etc.) M6 bone stock with ext warranty and one owner who was 43 with 78k miles for 10 grand. (Prolly shoulda paid around 13 to 15 for it) But for a 2000, if its an auto dont pay more than 9k and if its a stick 10k. My 2 cents!

i have been through 3 transmissions in the last year once you throw power at them they sucks ass, and destroy there selves. so if you do any upgrades i suggest a stall for an auto and clutch upgrade for a M6.

none
    none

Even if you did just a full exhaust, a new clutch would be needed?

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by walden31 View Post
    Even if you did just a full exhaust, a new clutch would be needed?

no, it would not be needed, but if your going to put a full exhaust, cam, and shit in then you will be replacing your clutch in the near future i would say , hell run it till you break it

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

IMO, I would keep looking. For $ 9,500.00 you can have a z28 with fewer miles. you are taking a risk with that many miles, you just dont know how well it was taken care of before you. Just be patient and keep looking, for the money you are looking to spend, I feel you can find one with less then half of that mileage.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Dont buy it if you want to mod it and be hard on it. If you plan on racing it etc. then that is way too many miles. The trannys are strong, the rear ends are not but that is only apparent with more power. A4 is plenty strong as the M6 and will not break the rear end as soon.

red
    2000 camaro

I have a 2000 z28 auto all stock with 188,000 .Mobil 1 oil every 5,000.Since I had it I have had little problems here and there but never got stranded.right now I am trying to figure out a hesitation problem and ac not working other than that its fine.

Bright Red
    2000 Camaro SS

IMO,100,000 miles on a modern vehicle is really not that much,if you're talking about something pre 1990,100K is wore out,my Trans Am had 95K on it and still ran just as hard as it did when I bought,but the car in question should go for $1000.00 or so less in my opinion.

none
    none

Thanks for all the info guys. But what is the difference between driving a car hard and beating on it? haha that confused me a bit. I like to accelerate quickly alot, but i don't redline on purpose and all if that's what you mean I run it hard to get it's full patential but don't do anything that will purposly destroy the motor and tranny. If that is what beating a car is?....

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by walden31 View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. But what is the difference between driving a car hard and beating on it? haha that confused me a bit. I like to accelerate quickly alot, but i don't redline on purpose and all if that's what you mean I run it hard to get it's full patential but don't do anything that will purposly destroy the motor and tranny. If that is what beating a car is?....
    If you just like too accelerate hard (like me) you should be fine.

Driving a car hard = accelerating hard/fast.
    Beating on a car = power shifting, brake tourqing, doing donuts.

Quote Originally Posted by MCH SS View Post
    IMO,100,000 miles on a modern vehicle is really not that much,if you're talking about something pre 1990,100K is wore out,my Trans Am had 95K on it and still ran just as hard as it did when I bought,but the car in question should go for $1000.00 or so less in my opinion.
    Actually, in 85 or 86 with the addition of the OD gear and lock up torque converter, the F-bodys began to get 120 to 135k miles. I got 89k on my LT1..

Thread Information