Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

How fast will my 2001 SS go ?

This is a discussion on How fast will my 2001 SS go ? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; they are not limited, that is nonsense I don't know where you guys get your info. Some cars do have ...

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

not limited

they are not limited, that is nonsense I don't know where you guys get your info. Some cars do have rev-limiters (not the camaro) that will in effect limit the top speed. For example a bmw m-3 roadster.

When you have a rev limiter, you will hit it in nuetral and every gear when you rev the engine, it is very obvious. Obviously some people have been watching to much knightrider and beleive their car is kit.

For those that are idiot enough to beleive their car is magically limited, perhaps this will help you.

Think about from an engineering standpoint how you would actually implement such a thing. How is it done on the camaro?
    1. Would you have the engine spray oil on the gas pedal so that drivers foot slips off when they hit 155mph?
    2. Would you just have the car turn itself off at 155mph?\
    3. The needle stop on the speedometer @ 155mph is strong enough to keep the 330hp ls1 engine at bay.

I mean seriously guys, lets use our brain. I think some of you guys are kids that have no clue. You are driving around in your moms honda civic giggling at the fact that you went 5mph over the speed limit on the highway.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by jpick1353 View Post
    I have owned/ driven many machines, trust me I know what I am talking about here guys. Her are some actual facts

In my stock 02 camaro SS:
    1. It will pull top speed in 5th gear
    2. It pulls pretty hard up to about 130 and then you feel like you hit a wall around 140. It is accelerating very slowly at about 145. You will also suddenly hear all kinds of wind entering through the door and window seals at about 135-140. It is kinda scary the first time.
    3. I do not know the actual top speed, but I could make a very good guess that it would be about 150 -155 if you had plenty of road to work with.
    4. The car is aero limited, so the only way to go faster is to be more aero dynamic or to get more hp.
    5. Keep in mind that it would take a lot of hp to go faster.

These speeds really aren't that fast.
    If you really want to see what speed is like, go ride a hyabusa. I was fine up until about 185mph. That is when I chickened out! Everything is smoother and doesn't feel as fast on a bike like that, but mentally u start to think about that you have no protection so it makes u scared.

@ 135 mph my car was still pulling stong, did it in a 1 mile straight on the interstate, no wind entering doors all was very smooth. top speed is governed at 162 mph w/o it the car will hit the low 170's. lastly 150-170 mph is haulin ass
    Last edited by Speedy_Gonzales; 11-02-2006 at 09:41 PM.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

I have owned/ driven many machines, trust me I know what I am talking about here guys. Her are some actual facts

In my stock 02 camaro SS:
    1. It will pull top speed in 5th gear
    2. It pulls pretty hard up to about 130 and then you feel like you hit a wall around 140. It is accelerating very slowly at about 145. You will also suddenly hear all kinds of wind entering through the door and window seals at about 135-140. It is kinda scary the first time.
    3. I do not know the actual top speed, but I could make a very good guess that it would be about 150 -155 if you had plenty of road to work with.
    4. The car is aero limited, so the only way to go faster is to be more aero dynamic or to get more hp.
    5. Keep in mind that it would take a lot of hp to go faster.

These speeds really aren't that fast.
    If you really want to see what speed is like, go ride a hyabusa. I was fine up until about 185mph. That is when I chickened out! Everything is smoother and doesn't feel as fast on a bike like that, but mentally u start to think about that you have no protection so it makes u scared.
    watch this video of a 01 ss bury the spedo no problem. maybe someting is wrong with your car http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx...7-3F3BB0D082AB

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    watch this video of a 01 ss bury the spedo no problem. maybe someting is wrong with your car http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx...7-3F3BB0D082AB
    man you never know..it could have mods with it..are you sure its a maro?

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    man you never know..it could have mods with it..are you sure its a maro?
    yes i talk with the guy , he is now in the service i iraq

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

I bet he has a toyota tundra that was almost eaten by the lochness monster.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

I bet he has a toyota tundra that was almost eaten by the lochness monster.
    no didnt you hear bigfoot screwed the lochness monster in the ass and he bleed to death

98' trans am

they are not limited, that is nonsense I don't know where you guys get your info. Some cars do have rev-limiters (not the camaro) that will in effect limit the top speed. For example a bmw m-3 roadster.

When you have a rev limiter, you will hit it in nuetral and every gear when you rev the engine, it is very obvious. Obviously some people have been watching to much knightrider and beleive their car is kit.

For those that are idiot enough to beleive their car is magically limited, perhaps this will help you.

Think about from an engineering standpoint how you would actually implement such a thing. How is it done on the camaro?
    1. Would you have the engine spray oil on the gas pedal so that drivers foot slips off when they hit 155mph?
    2. Would you just have the car turn itself off at 155mph?\
    3. The needle stop on the speedometer @ 155mph is strong enough to keep the 330hp ls1 engine at bay.

I mean seriously guys, lets use our brain. I think some of you guys are kids that have no clue. You are driving around in your moms honda civic giggling at the fact that you went 5mph over the speed limit on the highway.
    who are you? its a known fact that the pcm cuts the fuel off at 162ish the 155 was a misprint..but lets look at it from a safety standpoint jpick...would you allow a car to go faster then the speed rating of the tires? no! so yes jackass the cars are limited on speed. i really have no idea wtf your post is even talking about..while your posting stupid shit like oil on the pedal..why dont you say a clown pops out of the glove appartment and slapps the driver at high speeds man

98' trans am

oh yea you lift the spped limiter up to 200+...you still wont go that much faster they are limited shortly after by gearing, and the lack of powerband to keep it going faster..i'm not some kid that drives my mom honda... my first car was a t/a so yea..who the hell are you?

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    who are you? its a known fact that the pcm cuts the fuel off at 162ish the 155 was a misprint..but lets look at it from a safety standpoint jpick...would you allow a car to go faster then the speed rating of the tires? no! so yes jackass the cars are limited on speed. i really have no idea wtf your post is even talking about..while your posting stupid shit like oil on the pedal..why dont you say a clown pops out of the glove appartment and slapps the driver at high speeds man
    jprick is a dick head who can only post smart a** replys...let him have it shady
    Last edited by Speedy_Gonzales; 11-04-2006 at 04:53 PM.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    jprick is a dick head who can only post smart ass replys...let him have it shady
    maybe ed should change his name to jprick...i like the sound of that

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

you are an idiot if you think the pcm cuts the fuel off, but hey at least you had an idea. No one else even gave a reason as to why they thought their car was magically limited to 155 or 162 or whatever. The pcm cutting off the fuel, now that would be very dangerous. Go run your car up to 150 and chop your throttle, prefably while cornering and you will see what i mean.

The tires have no problem going that fast. You would have to run well over 200 mph for a sustained time like over an hour before the tires would be an issue.

You guys like to talk about haulin ass, but you obviously have never done it by some of your comments. Go run in the silver state classic and then you can talk about it. I have run it 4 times (no not in my 02 ss). 192.78 best average for me.

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

The record is over 200mph average.

Oh by the way I have had blowouts going well over 150mph, and the car doesn't magically blow up. It just vibrates and pulls a bit and feels like you hit your brakes.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

you are an idiot if you think the pcm cuts the fuel off, but hey at least you had an idea. No one else even gave a reason as to why they thought their car was magically limited to 155 or 162 or whatever. The pcm cutting off the fuel, now that would be very dangerous. Go run your car up to 150 and chop your throttle, prefably while cornering and you will see what i mean.

The tires have no problem going that fast. You would have to run well over 200 mph for a sustained time like over an hour before the tires would be an issue.

You guys like to talk about haulin ass, but you obviously have never done it by some of your comments. Go run in the silver state classic and then you can talk about it. I have run it 4 times (no not in my 02 ss). 192.78 best average for me.

Oh by the way I have had blowouts going well over 150mph, and the car doesn't magically blow up. It just vibrates and pulls a bit and feels like you hit your brakes.
    I was also racing at Atlanta Motor Speedway last week and just as I passed Dale Jr. all of my tires blew and I flipped over 20 times landed in my pit box got my tires changed and was back on the track without even losing a lap. Even though my car was heavily damaged from the wreck it didnt lose any aero. I lapped the field 20 times started feeling sorry for the fans cause I know they were getting bored so I let everybody get back on the lead lap and ended up beating Richard Petty by a 1/2 car length but blew 4 more tires coming accross the finish line flipped 20 more times but luckily landed in victory circle.

98' trans am

100% dumb ass

98' trans am

i believe it is a liability thing for gm...they arent going to let ANY car go over the speed rating of the tires. secondly it might not "cut" off the fuel but it trims the amount to slow the car down for around 5 secs. i'm not exactly sure which one it is, but i'm praying to god ed gets in this too sutfu.i bet you think the f-bods can go 200+ man buddy...its amazing what a lil looking up would do for u...you might learn something.
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

sunset orange
    2001 SS VERT

Locking due to too many of you guys acting like children. It's either this or I'm gonna pass out warnings. Start a new thread guy if you still need info.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information