Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How fast will my 2001 SS go ?

This is a discussion on How fast will my 2001 SS go ? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by shady milkman heres a read out. notice the drop of torque..not so much h/p. GEAR -- 3.42 ...

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    heres a read out. notice the drop of torque..not so much h/p.
    GEAR -- 3.42 ---- 4.10
    1 ------ 49 ------ 41mph
    2 ------ 74 ------ 62
    3 ------ 101 ----- 84
    4 ------ 131 ----- 109
    5 ------ 177 ----- 148
    6 ------ 263 ----- 219
    now maybe you'll notice how people arent saying 263mph is there top speed. with a 6th gear ratio of .5 plus drag a STOCK f-body doesnt have enough to keep pulling. what you get in 5th gear is the fastest you can go. now you know..i'm not trying to be a dick or anything..but i just want you to understand how engines and gearing works..alot of people think that hey have a whole other gear to play with after 150-160ish.
    so on this chart is it saying to shift at about 6000rpm on a stock ls1? and is this also saying that 177 is about the top speed?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    so on this chart is it saying to shift at about 6000rpm on a stock ls1? and is this also saying that 177 is about the top speed?
    yea pretty much. however you'd want to shift at 5200 rpm..becuase it ussually goes up 500 rpm by the time you shift

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by ReBop View Post
    An M6 car hits top speed in 5th gear, NOT 6th. It will slow in 6th because of the loss of torque.
    not exactly...the car does not lose TQ, rather since 6th gear is such a tall overdrive gear, it's out of the TQ/powerband. The power is there, you just aren't able to harness it. At those speeds it's drag, areodynamics, and gearing that prevent 6th gear from realy being used for anything but to meet EPA MPG requirements. Not that at 160 mph you will still achieve 26mpg/highway...lol

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

awesome, what a cheap way to fly somewhere hahaha!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

awesome, what a cheap way to fly somewhere hahaha!
    whats up man....u coming to the cruise in this weekend in dalton ? let me know i will save u a space beside me. it starts at 4 pm. i will be there at 3 pm to get a good spot

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Well here is a question for you.

How much power (HP/TQ) would an F-body need to produce to make sixth gear with a 3.42 "useable" for high speed? I'm asking the rated power needed to make it a significant gear for the powerband.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    whats up man....u coming to the cruise in this weekend in dalton ? let me know i will save u a space beside me. it starts at 4 pm. i will be there at 3 pm to get a good spot
    Where in dalton is it going to be? I'll be sure to bring my jacket this time hahahaha!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Well here is a question for you.

How much power (HP/TQ) would an F-body need to produce to make sixth gear with a 3.42 "useable" for high speed? I'm asking the rated power needed to make it a significant gear for the powerband.
    with that tall of a gear i'd estimate 400hp-450hp to the fly. its more so the torque curve. that the tall gear keeps it out of the optimal area..so you'd need to up the hp/tq and mess with the curve a lil. but i'm sure someone that has a lil more knowledge will chime in and tell what needs to be done.
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Red
    1971 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    pussys j/k...in all reality..most people will hit the limiter..maybe between 1-5 times..shits scary when your going 160

Try 150 in a 2nd gen....its scary as hell...esp when you're a little nose heavy with a big block.. Haven’t quit got the suspension all balanced out, need a little more shock in the front.. haven't had the balls yet to push it past 150...it'll go more but I guess age makes me a little more cautious..

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by RAT454 View Post
    Try 150 in a 2nd gen....its scary as hell...esp when you're a little nose heavy with a big block.. Haven’t quit got the suspension all balanced out, need a little more shock in the front.. haven't had the balls yet to push it past 150...it'll go more but I guess age makes me a little more cautious..
    lol damn i would prob. piss my pants in a gen 2 going that fast.

Red
    1971 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    I have 3:42's in my A4 Z28. I've had it to 145+ with the T tops off. Will never do that again, the inside of the car was like a blender, everything was being sucked out the top. Had more in it, and this was when car was pretty much stock. The other night I hit, 140ish, but bounced off the rev limiter since my tc is acting up.

I had one of the old VW Bradly GT kit cars, had gull wing windows for doors. had an 1835 in it. Was a blast to drive, light and quick.One day at 90, the window on the pass side came open and the wind sucked it off.. what a bitch. almost wrecked the whole thing...glass busted to hell..hunted for years for a pass glass I could afford to buy. They were expensive as hell, finally sold it before I went back to Germany the second time...

80 was more than enough for me to run with the t -tops off.

A blender is a pretty good discription..

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Where in dalton is it going to be? I'll be sure to bring my jacket this time hahahaha!
    downtown on hamilton street. i will call u saturday

Not gonna read through all the replies on here.

98 z28 a4, stock, hit 155+ on San Jac bridge in Houston years ago. I'll never do it again.

Had to slow down, ran out of road. Really no clue if I was going 160+, after I let off the gas all I know is the needle didn't move for a bit.

Scabbedwings616 scabbedwings616's Avatar

black
    2001 corvette

i used to have a 1988 camaro tbi 305 and the spedo only said 115 but went for a lot more than that...it took a few more seconds for it to get back to 115....i also blew the engine after all this happened...it was well worth it...droped a 350 in it afterwords...that was even better..the good old times...my newer camaro i have only had it up to 120 and probably wont go any higher than that other than the track...but its a fucking rush to get that speed....

71/95 camaro

I took my second gen with an 11 sec 468 on a 3.08 gear to the rev limiter on 28 inch mickey thompson slicks with my richmond 5 speed with a 1:1 5th gear and i was a lil scared to hit 6800 PRM. I dont have a speedo but i wouldnt have looked at it anyway, because the rev limiter was enough to say stop.

BLACK
    1998 Z28

Detroit Muscle

I Was Flying On The Highway With My Boy In His C6 We Got Up To Damn Near 165 He Said, I Didnt Look For Myself, I Kept My Eyes On The Road, He's Got The Heads Up Display

Navy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS M6

not fast enough.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Hit 135 mph

I was going down the interstate the other day on my way to work and this guy in a BMW thought he would challenge my American muscle car. Needless to say I left him far behind, didnt realize how fast I was going. Looked down and 125 mph and climbing fast. I got up to 135 mph had to let off traffic ahead in my way. It had PLENTY left. Man what a rush. I pulled into my work parking lot I was so pumped up lol ! I love my 01 SS CAMARO. I know they are much faster cars and mine its just stock but its mine and I am very proud of it. It was so smooth going that fast really cool how the car handles. When I get up the nerve I am going to hit 150 mph+ and video tape it. Trick is driving that fast with one hand on the wheel and the other hand trying to hold the camera still. I will post the video after I do it.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

sounds like bull

I have owned/ driven many machines, trust me I know what I am talking about here guys. Her are some actual facts

In my stock 02 camaro SS:
    1. It will pull top speed in 5th gear
    2. It pulls pretty hard up to about 130 and then you feel like you hit a wall around 140. It is accelerating very slowly at about 145. You will also suddenly hear all kinds of wind entering through the door and window seals at about 135-140. It is kinda scary the first time.
    3. I do not know the actual top speed, but I could make a very good guess that it would be about 150 -155 if you had plenty of road to work with.
    4. The car is aero limited, so the only way to go faster is to be more aero dynamic or to get more hp.
    5. Keep in mind that it would take a lot of hp to go faster.

These speeds really aren't that fast.
    If you really want to see what speed is like, go ride a hyabusa. I was fine up until about 185mph. That is when I chickened out! Everything is smoother and doesn't feel as fast on a bike like that, but mentally u start to think about that you have no protection so it makes u scared.

98' trans am

bud they are limited around 162...it still has more..like 10mph more.
    Last edited by shady milkman; 11-04-2006 at 06:18 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information