Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

How do i find out if i have a SLP induction???

how can i find out if my 2000 camaro ss has the SLP induction?? what can i do to find out?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I am pretty sure that if you say SLP induction, you mean the SLP cold air induction. If you take off your air box lid and take your filter out and look down below, you will see a large steel plate with a slot in it. If you don't see that, you don't have it.

The induction would not have been a SLP option that was added from the factory I don't believe. This would have had to be put on by the previous owner.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I am pretty sure that if you say SLP induction, you mean the SLP cold air induction. If you take off your air box lid and take your filter out and look down below, you will see a large steel plate with a slot in it. If you don't see that, you don't have it.

The induction would not have been a SLP option that was added from the factory I don't believe. This would have had to be put on by the previous owner.
    maybe hes asking if his ss was slp modified?

i started to say all ss's were slp but then i remembered after 97 they arent..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post

Possibly. Not sure. I know the newer models (02, possibly 01) that were SLP modified I believe came with a SLP lid and SLP CME. This was the 345HP package. Also, some came equipped with Bilstein/Eibach Shocks/Springs as a performance suspension upgrade.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Possibly. Not sure. I know the newer models (02, possibly 01) that were SLP modified I believe came with a SLP lid and SLP CME. This was the 345HP package. Also, some came equipped with Bilstein/Eibach Shocks/Springs as a performance suspension upgrade.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

All SS's are SLP cars. They may not have gotten the blackwing lid or exhaust or suspension package but the SS package was installed at SLP. IE hood spoiler and any other SS specific options.

But the CAI was not a factory SLP option. The only SLP induction option was the Blackwing lid and if you search you can find a pic of one and see if that is your lid.

Red
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Dabom75 View Post
    All SS's are SLP cars. They may not have gotten the blackwing lid or exhaust or suspension package but the SS package was installed at SLP. IE hood spoiler and any other SS specific options.

But the CAI was not a factory SLP option. The only SLP induction option was the Blackwing lid and if you search you can find a pic of one and see if that is your lid.
    Hmmmm. you sure that all SS are in fact "slp"

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by yanoZ28 View Post
    Hmmmm. you sure that all SS are in fact "slp"
    I "thought" a majority of them were built at the SLP plant in Canada, but not "all" of them were.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think he is correct. When you call SLP, they have your build number on file. How else would they know?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Every 4th generation SS is from SLP.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Every 4th generation SS is from SLP.

for 1998:
    The 305 hp (227 kW) rating for the Z28 was a rather conservative estimate. It is estimated that a more realistic rating (somewhere around 350 hp (261 kW)) would have placed the Camaro's power closer to the Corvette than General Motors would have liked to admit at the time[citation needed]. Minor changes were made to the suspension and the brakes were increased in size. The SS continued for 1998, producing 320 hp (239 kW) (these cars now being produced by GM in house, with production code WU8), as did the RS ground effects package, though the RS designation was dropped. While the numerous design improvements did spark sales; the total production for 1998 was just 48,490, a far cry from the 110,000 units sold in 1994 or the 200,000+ units per year sold during the 1970s.

i guess just because ss's were produced strictly by gm after 1997 doesnt mean they didnt use parts supplied by slp, thusly ar still slp 'modified'

thats where the confusion is coming from,

Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

To add to the confusion, some SS' were sent to SLP for the "SLP treatment", which make them what everybody refers to as "SLP SSs". My brother has an '01 SLP SS convertible. SLP put stickers inside both doors. I can't read them anymore so I don't know what they say. I can only assume that it's a list of options? The SLP options varied, but his car has different badging inside the car, SLP y-pipe and exhaust, SLP lid and some other crap I don't remember. It has an SLP MAF, too, but from what I've read that wasn't one of the options.

Jim

NBM M6
    2000 SS

All SS's were from slp. All Z's went to slp and they,only they converted them to SS's. And the C.A.I. was not an option. It was something you had to buy yourself. Slp had a contract with Gm to build the SS's. I spoke personally to SLP exec at SLP day.

Only options by SLP were

Auburn diff
    the 17 inch rims, chrome or silver finish
    floor mats
    hood/spoiler
    dash plaque
    later years CME
    later years Air lid
    The bfg's cant remember the exact ones

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pewterzron View Post
    All SS's were from slp. All Z's went to slp and they,only they converted them to SS's. And the C.A.I. was not an option. It was something you had to buy yourself. Slp had a contract with Gm to build the SS's. I spoke personally to SLP exec at SLP day.

Only options by SLP were

Auburn diff
    the 17 inch rims, chrome or silver finish
    floor mats
    hood/spoiler
    dash plaque
    later years CME
    later years Air lid
    The bfg's cant remember the exact ones
    what about suspension..

your right for 1996/1997 models, they did all go to slp,

but from 1998 on gm started making them in house, only some went off to get really modified

and you got to talk to the executive? dont tell that to some people on here, they cant even get ahold of customer service
    Last edited by justinmc978; 11-21-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Black

but from 1998 on gm started making them in house, only some went off to get really modified
    That's what I was trying to say. My dad has a '99 SS and my brother has an '01 "SLP" SS. There are distinct differences between the two, the most significant being the SLP option tags on the doors.

Jim

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

If SLP did not put all SS packages on then why would you call SLP to get your SS number?

Yes you could get an actual SLP optioned SS but all SS's are SLP cars. Most people consider SLP optioned SS's to be SLP SS's. But all of them actually are.

My 35thLE has no secondary SLP options factory but it still went to SLP for hood spoiler Badging and Decals.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Dabom75 View Post
    If SLP did not put all SS packages on then why would you call SLP to get your SS number?

Yes you could get an actual SLP optioned SS but all SS's are SLP cars. Most people consider SLP optioned SS's to be SLP SS's. But all of them actually are.

My 35thLE has no secondary SLP options factory but it still went to SLP for hood spoiler Badging and Decals.
    I don't know about the 35th cars, but the 'regular' SSs were assembled by GM. They did not go to SLP. SLP provided the parts, but they were made in-house at GM. SLP keeps track of the SSs by number in order to limit distribution of SS-specific parts to non-SS vehicles. My dad's 99 is a rebuilt total, and he had to provide his VIN to SLP in order to get a hood for it (which turned out to be so expensive that they just repaired the old one).

The "SLP SSs" are different. People liken the 'secondary SLP-optioned' SSs to Firehawks the same way the 'regular' SS is likened to the WS-6. The "SLP SSs" have options that were not available on a regular SS and were sent to SLP for those options.

Jim

NBM M6
    2000 SS

I think this is the TOE-may-to, Toe-ma-to thing. Slp did do all the cars, the parts are from them. I spoke to Scott Settlemeire-sp?, he was the Camaro brand manager or whatever title he held. He personally told me all SS's were put together by slp. But who knows maybe they just sent the parts to GM and they converted them in house?

I met Scott Settlemeire at SLP day in Milan Michigan with all the big wigs from SLP. Had lots of fun. About 15 of us caravaned from Chicago to Milan, MI. The drive up there was suoer fun.
    Last edited by pewterzron; 11-22-2009 at 09:21 AM.

NBM M6
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    That's what I was trying to say. My dad has a '99 SS and my brother has an '01 "SLP" SS. There are distinct differences between the two, the most significant being the SLP option tags on the doors.

Jim
    Just curious, what are the distinct differences? I had a 98 ss, now I have a 2000, and my brother has a 2001 ss.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by pewterzron View Post
    Just curious, what are the distinct differences? I had a 98 ss, now I have a 2000, and my brother has a 2001 ss.
    Here are some pics of the obvious stuff. He also has the Auburn rear.

SLP decal:

SLP floor mats:

SLP dash badge:

Jim

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Ever hear of a vacuum?

Thread Information