Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How do i find out if i have a SLP induction???

This is a discussion on How do i find out if i have a SLP induction??? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS Ever hear of a vacuum? Those are bits of the original leaves from the SLP factory ...

Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Ever hear of a vacuum?
    Those are bits of the original leaves from the SLP factory in NJ.

Jim

NBM M6
    2000 SS

Here are some pics of the obvious stuff. He also has the Auburn rear.

SLP decal:

Those were just options you could buy. I have the slp decal sticker on my door too!The auburn diff was a 700-800 dollar option.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by pewterzron View Post
    Here are some pics of the obvious stuff. He also has the Auburn rear.

SLP decal:

Those were just options you could buy. I have the slp decal sticker on my door too!The auburn diff was a 700-800 dollar option.
    His car has SLP stickers on both doors. I dunno. My brother was told there was something special about it. I guess maybe the guy that sold it to him told a good story.

Jim

Black

Okay, my brother talked to SLP this morning. I've been bugging him to do this ever since he got his car this past summer.

Based on his VIN, his car, in addition to the standard SS options, came with the following SLP options:
    - Key fob
    - Dash plaque
    - Floor mats
    - Chrome SS rims
    - Dual tip exhaust

The representative at SLP he spoke to said that ALL Camaro SSs, irrespective of the model year, started out life as Z28s and were shipped to SLP's facility in Canada for conversion to the 'base' SS package. So I was wrong about that.

The representative went on to say, however that "not all SSs are SLP SSs". SLP SSs are uniquely optioned and have decals on both doors to indicate this. Whether you want to call them 'secondary options' or whatever, the SLP SS is unique from the regular SS.

Whether you want to pay more for an SS because it has some additional SLP options and special stickers (like a Firehawk) is something you have to decide for yourself. My brother paid a small premium for his car over a 'regular' SS, but it was an inconsequential difference to him because he wanted a pewter convertible with a black interior which is hard to come by. I chose to pay less for a TA and make a fake Firehawk :-p

Jim
    Last edited by turbojimmy; 11-23-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    dont tell that to some people on here, they cant even get ahold of customer service
    Doesn't surprise me....they only want to talk with people asking questions (people that didn't order a part from them) about factory options.
    Everyone has problems with their parts....

Quote Originally Posted by yanoZ28 View Post
    Hmmmm. you sure that all SS are in fact "slp"
    Yup. Which would be why they are worth roughly the same as the Z28...

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by yanoZ28 View Post
    Hmmmm. you sure that all SS are in fact "slp"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Yup. Which would be why they are worth roughly the same as the Z28...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

I did pay a premium for a used SS over a Z28 but there is a noticable difference in appearance and drivablity between the two. Iv'e owned both.

Also, I'm glad I finally got to talk to SLP to clear things up.
    Last edited by Redegal; 11-23-2009 at 09:08 AM.
    2002 SS M6 Convertible

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Redegal View Post
    I did pay a premium for a used SS over a Z28 but there is a noticable difference in appearance and drivablity between the two. Iv'e owned both.

Appearance....very much so.
    Driveability....not really. Maybe a slightly more comfortable ride if you have the SLP shock package. Otherwise, nothing was done to the SS that the Z28 didn't have when it comes to driveability.

I know driving a base Trans Am and my WS.6 (when it was stock) was like driving the EXACT same car. The upgrades are just about identical (WS.6 upgrades over base T/A in comparison to the SS upgrades over the Z28).

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I've ridden in a few SS's and driven one myself and I do not agree with that driveability part at all.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    I've ridden in a few SS's and driven one myself and I do not agree with that driveability part at all.
    You don't have to agree - it's all in perception. There's a huge difference between 16" and 17" tires alone. I slapped the 17" Firehawk rims on my base TA today and there's a HUGE difference in ride and cornering.

It depends on which Z28 you're comparing to which SS. My bro's '01 SLP SS is a nicely optioned example that is so much more car than his stripped '99 Z28. I've driven and ridden in both. The Hurst shifter in the SS has a lot to do with it, too.

I have to say, though, that I prefer my Pontiac over both my dad's SS and my bro's SLP SS. Different feel completely.

Jim

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    You don't have to agree - it's all in perception. There's a huge difference between 16" and 17" tires alone. I slapped the 17" Firehawk rims on my base TA today and there's a HUGE difference in ride and cornering.

It depends on which Z28 you're comparing to which SS. My bro's '01 SLP SS is a nicely optioned example that is so much more car than his stripped '99 Z28. I've driven and ridden in both. The Hurst shifter in the SS has a lot to do with it, too.

I have to say, though, that I prefer my Pontiac over both my dad's SS and my bro's SLP SS. Different feel completely.

Jim
    The Hurst shifter that came as an option on the SS's isn't even a "performance" shifter IMO. It didn't even come with solid positive stops. It was just another "gimic" SLP used to charge an exaggerated price increase for people to pay....

Black

The Hurst shifter that came as an option on the SS's isn't even a "performance" shifter IMO. It didn't even come with solid positive stops. It was just another "gimic" SLP used to charge an exaggerated price increase for people to pay....
    I didn't say it was a "performance" shifter. Would you say it's an improvement over the base shifter? I would. I've owned both.

Jim

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I will take your word it is an improvement over the standard shifter as I have never driven a Camaro without one. And I only say this because I have since took my Hurst OEM shifter out and replaced it with a performance Hurst shifter, and I like the new one I bought A LOT better so I guess that would compare to a standard shifter versus the OEM Hurst option.

Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion on the following: If it's not a "performance" shifter, how is it better than a normal shifter? It surely isn't classified as a "short-throw" by any means it doesn't seem. If it is, it isn't much shorter. What features of it make it "better"?

Black

Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion on the following: If it's not a "performance" shifter, how is it better than a normal shifter? It surely isn't classified as a "short-throw" by any means it doesn't seem. If it is, it isn't much shorter. What features of it make it "better"?
    I've had other cars (a *cough*Mustang*cough*) with the Hurst billet shifter with adjustable stops and it is a better shifter but.....

With the stock GM shifter, there seemed to be a lot of room between gears both vertically and horizontally. I would always find a never-never land between 3 and 5, when shifting quick to 3rd, with the stock shifter. The Hurst, as ordered from GM or SLP, has shorter throws and more positive shifts. The gears are definitely "closer together" with the Hurst shifter. Tough to explain, but you know what I mean (I hope).

Jim

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've had other cars (a *cough*Mustang*cough*) with the Hurst billet shifter with adjustable stops and it is a better shifter but.....

With the stock GM shifter, there seemed to be a lot of room between gears both vertically and horizontally. I would always find a never-never land between 3 and 5, when shifting quick to 3rd, with the stock shifter. The Hurst, as ordered from GM or SLP, has shorter throws and more positive shifts. The gears are definitely "closer together" with the Hurst shifter. Tough to explain, but you know what I mean (I hope).

Jim
    Yes, I understand. Thanks for the explanation. I was just wondering.

Black

/end hijack

So did the OP get his question answered?

Jim

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

There is no difference in driveability of the two.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    There is no difference in driveability of the two.
    Really? How so? You can't prove that there's no difference any more than I can prove that there is a difference. Please elaborate.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Really? How so? You can't prove that there's no difference any more than I can prove that there is a difference. Please elaborate.
    We aren't going to agree so no point in elaborating, waste of both of our times.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

It's all in your head. Like me thinking my STB actually does something to improve the way my car handles on the road.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information