Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How different are z28's to SS's?

This is a discussion on How different are z28's to SS's? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by misdeal ok guys, gonna clear this up for ya. SS package was 2500 bucks if I remember ...

Quote Originally Posted by misdeal View Post
    ok guys, gonna clear this up for ya. SS package was 2500 bucks if I remember correctly. It contains the 17 inch wheels, higher spoiler,exhaust, hood w/ cold air, badging, power steering cooler, don't remember the brand but different shocks, and the weak anti slip slp rearend gears. Thats what the package contained for 2002. I personally didn't want the most of that stuff and I wanted the appearence pkg and the truck rearend with 373's so I bought a Z. You'll find how the engines came together at the plant more of a factor for speed than if it is a SS or a Z.
    Don't forget the larger sway bars with poly bushings, Shady might get upset
    I've also read from several different books that the coil springs were also of a different rating. Some of the cool SLP options available also spiced up the SS's to an extent, some of which are highly sought after now,,,the CME for one example is copied by many, the SS floor mats, and much more. But that's all besides the point.
    Whether it's what we wanted isn't the point I was trying to make for blackbird.

white
    02 Z28

Oh yeah, how'd I forget that. Reading and typing at the same time. Sorry Shady

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Sweet, good info to know. I'm glad I know I should have the same-ish result even if it's an ss

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

ok guys, gonna clear this up for ya. SS package was 2500 bucks if I remember correctly. It contains the 17 inch wheels, higher spoiler,exhaust, hood w/ cold air, badging, power steering cooler, don't remember the brand but different shocks, and the weak anti slip slp rearend gears. Thats what the package contained for 2002. I personally didn't want the most of that stuff and I wanted the appearence pkg and the truck rearend with 373's so I bought a Z. You'll find how the engines came together at the plant more of a factor for speed than if it is a SS or a Z.

And just to throw a wierd bone in the conversation. My Z has Z06 heads (and possible cam) from the factory. Is it still considerred factory? These were not some crazy special order or anything. Just a lack of parts when they decided to go ahead and build 02's. Gm originally planned on canning the car in 01 but reconsiderred because of the annivesary and a bunch of other reasons. When they started building the first run of 02's there was a lack of parts for a few of the first engine runs. Istead of killing the line they just grabbed what was available so to speak. I know this is a huge rumor but it is true. I used to work at gm during this time in engineering. I have personally seen other cars with odd engine parts, even a couple with slp parts.
    you have 243s ?

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

I HIGHLY doubt your car came from the factory with 243 zo6 heads. I think what your meaning to say is you have the LS6 block. Which a few cars in 01-02 got because of a shortage of LS1 blocks.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by km346 View Post
    I HIGHLY doubt your car came from the factory with 243 zo6 heads. I think what your meaning to say is you have the LS6 block. Which a few cars in 01-02 got because of a shortage of LS1 blocks.
    Agreed, if you do have 243 heads they arent stock. Remember 241 heads arent z06. My late year 2000 had 241s.

white
    02 Z28

I had the car in for converter replacements years ago. I never noticed anything different other than it ran way better than it should. But the chevy mechanic said something didn't look right. spposedly he pulled the numbers off them, checked it and told me they were zo6 heads. I personally don't know, I never verified it. Never really mattered to me if it was true. I just enjoy the car. What I can tell you is I am the original owner, bought her brand new with 83 miles on her. So if it is true, then they are definitly factory. I can also tell you the only mods on the car are slp loudmouth catback exhaust, slp lid, slip cold induction kit, slp subframe connectors, granatelli strut tower brace and a set of 17" corvette wheels. Oh yeah I also have a shift skip eliminator. I even still have the factory cats (my 3rd set now) and factory manifolds on her. But I have raced 3 different old body z06's that were all factory and each time I finsh at the z06's door or back wheel. so something doesn't make sense. You've kinda got my interest going again, I'll try to get the mirror out this week and pull the numbers off em. Try and settle it for myself. Keep you guys posted on this one.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Racing an SS would be more of an "apples to apples" comparison to your WS6. But in all honesty,,,,,15.17 at 94 mph for an LS1 with headers and exhaust???? Even if you guys are at 5,000 feet that's still a little weak for that car. Was the DA just that bad??

I'm pretty sure you've had a tune which would help your car tremendously at those elevations. Did your buddy have a tune yet?? These cars run pig rich at WOT with the stock tune for warranty reasons (11.5 AFR or so)
    That would absolutely kill the cars performance at 5,000 feet.

Find yourself some other LS1's to run for a better comparison.
    bandimere. yes 5k and above elevation lol.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Fbodies NEVER got 243 heads from the factory. If you do have 243 heads, someone other than the factory put them on.

white
    02 Z28

I really don't disagree with you, but I have seen much wilder things happen than that while I worked at gm. So it would not surprise me at all.

Very easy to check. Don't even need the mirrors. Just pop the hood. The casting number on the passenger side head will be staring right at you in the front right corner, can't miss it. Takes longer to pop the hood.

I'm betting it will say 241.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    HAHA, yes
    I love that shit, just because its a ws6 its supposed to make 100 more hp then a non ws6 trans am. They always go oh fuck its only a trans am not a ws6?

98' trans am

I had the car in for converter replacements years ago. I never noticed anything different other than it ran way better than it should. But the chevy mechanic said something didn't look right. spposedly he pulled the numbers off them, checked it and told me they were zo6 heads. I personally don't know, I never verified it. Never really mattered to me if it was true. I just enjoy the car. What I can tell you is I am the original owner, bought her brand new with 83 miles on her. So if it is true, then they are definitly factory.
    with 83 miles on it..are you sure it wasnt one of the cars that GM used to show to the higher ups and let them drive...if so i can see them possibly slipping in a pair of 243 or w/e was available at the time.

white
    02 Z28

No shady, wasn't a PEP car. It was just a very early 02 model that sat on the lot a while. But that doesn't matter, I popped the hood the yesterday to change oil and clean my k&n so I checked the number on the heads. No 243's on it. They are 241's so I guess the mechanic was wrong or maybe he meant it has an ls6 block. Well at last that mystery is solved. If anyone has the number for an ls6 block I'll have a look and see if that it. Still have to wonder why this car runs so good? Guess it doesn't really matter cause she is so fun to drive!

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

I would also like to know how you check for a Z06 block. I know pontiac's probably never got them but it'd be nice just to know.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

LS6 block ID #12561168

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    I would also like to know how you check for a Z06 block. I know pontiac's probably never got them but it'd be nice just to know.
    all late 4th gen f-bodies were made at the same plant, Sainte Therese Assembly near Montreal. so being a Pontiac has nothing to do with if you get a ls6 block

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Like said before. The tolerances of that specific engine and the rest of the drivetrain have more to do with the performance than the SS or Z28 package. Have 2 2002 Z28s in the household. Optioned the same except for the t-tops. The t-top car would blow the doors off the hardtop when it was stock.

white
    02 Z28

finally got to check the block numbers, Got the ls6 block, sweet, still not sure what the differences are between the 2 though.

white
    2000 Z28

ls6 casting had better coolant flow and the way it was cast is on average stronger than the ls1 cast. no major improvement in power seeing as how the ls6 power came from the internals which were not put into the cars that were ls1 designated. so block is basically stronger and stays cooler better. any power above the ls1 will usually come from the intake manifold which is the ls6(much better runners) but the increase isnt huge in peak numbers, it is better in the power curve though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information