Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

How different are z28's to SS's?

In terms of power? I've raced a couple Z's and spanked some ass but I have yet to race an SS of the tree

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhcqiCA-V1w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhcqiCA-V1w[/ame]

This guy had headers and exhaust like me just different brand names I guess
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Gs2vtRl04"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Gs2vtRl04[/ame]

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

No difference. It's a debate on if the larger air box really makes a difference or not but the person driving is a bigger factor I believe. What are your mods?

Racing an SS would be more of an "apples to apples" comparison to your WS6. But in all honesty,,,,,15.17 at 94 mph for an LS1 with headers and exhaust???? Even if you guys are at 5,000 feet that's still a little weak for that car. Was the DA just that bad??

I'm pretty sure you've had a tune which would help your car tremendously at those elevations. Did your buddy have a tune yet?? These cars run pig rich at WOT with the stock tune for warranty reasons (11.5 AFR or so)
    That would absolutely kill the cars performance at 5,000 feet.

Find yourself some other LS1's to run for a better comparison.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

come on man..you should know by now in terms of a f body..a ls1 is a ls1. z28 or a SS dont mean squat.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    come on man..you should know by now in terms of a f body..a ls1 is a ls1. z28 or a SS dont mean squat.
    Don't forget the hood!!!!!!!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

"Is it a WS6?"
    "No"
    "O.. well then it sucks."

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    "Is it a WS6?"
    "No"
    "O.. well then it sucks."
    HAHA, yes

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    No difference. It's a debate on if the larger air box really makes a difference or not but the person driving is a bigger factor I believe. What are your mods?
    SLP lid, Lt's,ORY,Magnaflow catback

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Racing an SS would be more of an "apples to apples" comparison to your WS6. But in all honesty,,,,,15.17 at 94 mph for an LS1 with headers and exhaust???? Even if you guys are at 5,000 feet that's still a little weak for that car. Was the DA just that bad??

I'm pretty sure you've had a tune which would help your car tremendously at those elevations. Did your buddy have a tune yet?? These cars run pig rich at WOT with the stock tune for warranty reasons (11.5 AFR or so)

I think you've been mistaken, the headers/exhaust camaro is in the 2nd vid, I think the top is stock
    I have been tuned. I have no idea of all of his mods but when I asked what he had in the staging lanes he yelled out headers and exhaust, I couldn't get out and ask him about it tho.

I have more LS videos, hold on
    Last edited by blackbird0230; 07-08-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

No difference cept for hood, spoiler, wheels. Earlier ss's came with power steering cooler but i believe in '01 and '02 z28s got the cooler as well. I know mine has one. And gm advertising free flowing exhaust is lolish

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

For example on the times up here. This is a 2010 Corvette GS (Stock) His best was 13.8
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeXMN7E1_7Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeXMN7E1_7Q[/ame]

Gotta go downstairs to find the other videos but really LS1's have an average of high 14's up here. You'll see them range big time, the new SS camaro's can only manage the high 14's-low 15's.
    BRB

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    No difference cept for hood, spoiler, wheels. Earlier ss's came with power steering cooler but i believe in '01 and '02 z28s got the cooler as well. I know mine has one. And gm advertising free flowing exhaust is lolish
    sway bars tooo

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Try almost 6K feet. *5800

I thought I had more Ls1 videos, weird. I'll get more this weekend but this is the only other one I got, I have a few Ls3 vids and LS7's but not much else.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7bP5O3FgDc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7bP5O3FgDc[/ame]

White
    1998 Trans Am

I would say the biggest differece it with A4 cars. If I remember all WS6 and SS's came with 3.23 package like my Trans Am. But some Z28's and TA A4's got stuck with those crap 2.73's which are ok if it's a dd and you car about highway mileage, but then you should own a 4cyl if that crap matters.
    When my car was stock I beat alot of 2.73 geared Z's and TA's didn't pay attention to the fact my car came with 3.23's I just wanted it because it didn't have the gay TCS switch and it was title to GM so technically it was used with like 200miles on it but they dropped $4k off the sticker when all the other dealers wouldn't drop a penny off a new one. They were scarce in MA in 98 for TA's and Formula's most dealers were lucky to have one if it was the bigger Boston dealers they maybe had 2 or 3 max.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

like said before LS1's are LS1's... doesn't matter if its a WS6 or Z28... and yes this is true that the SS is stock with 3.23's but you can also get that with the Z28... there are a little more things just a hood... but not really 1/4 time wise.... even if you get the "345hp SLP Package"

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    SLP lid, Lt's,ORY,Magnaflow catback

I think you've been mistaken, the headers/exhaust camaro is in the 2nd vid, I think the top is stock
    I have been tuned. I have no idea of all of his mods but when I asked what he had in the staging lanes he yelled out headers and exhaust, I couldn't get out and ask him about it tho.

I have more LS videos, hold on
    Ah,,,I didn't even watch the second video, thought it was the same car. But ya now after watching it,,,,I'd have to say do that one over,,,,because staging with the rear wheels doesn't count blackbird

sway bars tooo
    With poly bushings

Well,,,ya it does if you really get into the details and you are talking about stock vehicles.

The SS's came with 3.23 gears on the autos as standard,,,but you had to order it on the Z28. Figuring how many did and didn't get it would be difficult to say, but you know what you are getting when you line up with an SS as far as that is concerned. The 6 speeds are toss ups obviously.

Of course there is also the possibility of SLP options on the SS that could add such things as a free flowing exhaust system, and a black wing air lid. Technically the cars are still considered stock,,,,but if you take a Z28 and do those 2 things (2 of the first and most common upgrades you'll find on a Z) Then it's not stock anymore.

The fresh air hood is another issue. Although not as effective as the WS6 hood,,,it's sure as hell alot better than a flat Z hood trying to suck hot engine air under the thin front opening.
    And no the free ram air mod doesn't count on the Z,,,because well then it's not stock anymore.

Ya kinda see what I'm getting at??? Although these advantages sound rather small and pointless, they can add up. If they weren't worth anything at all then why are they the first things all the Z owners do,,,know what I mean???

I don't mean to come off that SS's are faster than Z's,,,,but in stock form they do have some advantages to work with. And it would make more of an apples to apples comparison that blackbird was referring to with his WS6,,,which was the point I was trying to make.
    Now if you really get into modding either car,,,well then it doesn't make much difference at all.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Ah,,,I didn't even watch the second video, thought it was the same car. But ya now after watching it,,,,I'd have to say do that one over,,,,because staging with the rear wheels doesn't count blackbird
    Lol you noticed. I was goin off the tree and didn't even look over at the other car or the guy behind me

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    Lol you noticed. I was goin off the tree and didn't even look over at the other car or the guy behind me
    Lol,,,ya I guess no one else caught that. It's easy to do though with those timing boxes so low to the ground.

white
    02 Z28

ok guys, gonna clear this up for ya. SS package was 2500 bucks if I remember correctly. It contains the 17 inch wheels, higher spoiler,exhaust, hood w/ cold air, badging, power steering cooler, don't remember the brand but different shocks, and the weak anti slip slp rearend gears. Thats what the package contained for 2002. I personally didn't want the most of that stuff and I wanted the appearence pkg and the truck rearend with 373's so I bought a Z. You'll find how the engines came together at the plant more of a factor for speed than if it is a SS or a Z.

And just to throw a wierd bone in the conversation. My Z has Z06 heads (and possible cam) from the factory. Is it still considerred factory? These were not some crazy special order or anything. Just a lack of parts when they decided to go ahead and build 02's. Gm originally planned on canning the car in 01 but reconsiderred because of the annivesary and a bunch of other reasons. When they started building the first run of 02's there was a lack of parts for a few of the first engine runs. Istead of killing the line they just grabbed what was available so to speak. I know this is a huge rumor but it is true. I used to work at gm during this time in engineering. I have personally seen other cars with odd engine parts, even a couple with slp parts.
    Last edited by misdeal; 07-08-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Thread Information