How to clean engine bay

This is a discussion on How to clean engine bay within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Aright I bought a 1999 camaro z28 and it is in great condition and compleatly stock because a older lady ...

How to clean engine bay

Aright I bought a 1999 camaro z28 and it is in great condition and compleatly stock because a older lady owned it and washed it all the time but never washed the engine. It has 25000 miles on it. Anyway she had it under coated and the engine is filty. My question is how do I clean the engine will it be ok if I go to the carwash and presure wash it or will it cause shorts and make things go bad? thanks rob

My advice is don't "pressure wash" it, allow any water under the intake, around the fuse panels under the hood, or PCM area. Be careful. More info probably in the appearance section.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

get some orange cleaner at the dollar store spray it down keeping bottle about a foot away from the engine and let it sit for a couple minutes and then go back with the pressure washer from the car wash and keep it like 2-3feet away, and keep it away from the front of the intake and turn your head lights on because they will try to fog up. That's what this guy at a carshow told me, and it works. I did it and my engine looks GOOD!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I take off the lid/maf/bellow and put a plastic bag around everything else that's kinda sensitive...like the pcm, fuses/relays, opening of TB. Then I spray degreaser on a cold motor and then use a hose under normal pressure.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Use stp son of a gun and some elbow grease

Heres a pic of my motor using son of a gun and some hard rubbing. I dont let water touch the motor, some people do but I dont like the idea of a chance of moisture getting into anything on my engine.
    Last edited by Speedy_Gonzales; 12-09-2006 at 09:54 PM.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Any water that gets under the manifold or any hidden spots will just boil off...I always bring it up to running temp after a wash.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I've tried a few things, but my best recommendation is going to Advance and picking up a can of Black Magic's engine clean and shine. Engine Brite works well too. You just spray it on everything (except the obvious; ecm, filter, etc) then after like 15 minutes, run an open ended hose over it. Works pretty dang well, and it's safe for everything it's touching. Sure beats the 3 hours I used to spend in there with rags and Q-tips!
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Thread Information