Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

HID head lights and fog lights

This is a discussion on HID head lights and fog lights within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 how do you do the whole headlight conversion link??? +1.. id like to know how to ...

02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    how do you do the whole headlight conversion

link???
    +1.. id like to know how to have all lights on at night.. i drive backroads alot! having fogs,lows,highs on all at the same time would deff make my vision WAY THE F**K better! lol

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

technically you do my buddy get brightlighted alot but it not mandatory that you do its just to focus the light on a particular spot on the ground

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by vonskee-z28 View Post
    no you dont. how do you explain the people running hids with stock headlights? it doesnt blind people....
    It most certainly does blind people, and its technically illegal. If a cop wanted to, they could give you a ticket for illegal headlights.

Just because people do it doesn't make it right. The beam pattern with stock housings and HIDs is all over the place, you end up illuminating all the wrong areas and causing horrible glare to other drivers.

There's a reason 99% of production cars with HID's use projector lenses, its extremely difficult to make them work properly in regular reflector lenses.

Black
    '98 Z28

what about e-bay projectors i been lookin at them alot now just kinda skeptical about the whole pay pal thing

im thinking something like this
    Click for full size
    Those look like the sonar projectors. From the research I've been doing, you're going to get a better cutoff line and light output from a projector that uses an H1 bulb and not an H3 bulb. If you can find a projector that uses the stock 9005/6 bulb, even better, but so far I haven't found anything like that.

Maroon
    2000 z28 6 speed

camaro fog lights are projector, HIDS dont require you to have projectors, most new cars have them because they cast a better light with a sharper cut off, thats the part that blinds people. Stock reflector housings light cut off isnt as accurate, but that doesnt mean that putting hids in them are useless, they do help improve vision, and another thing you have to consider is the bulb temperature you decide to run, the whiter the color the more darkness it can penetrate.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

what about e-bay projectors i been lookin at them alot now just kinda skeptical about the whole pay pal thing

im thinking something like this
    Click for full size
    These are the best aftermarket projectors for a camaro. They use an H1 bulb that is good and has a dent cut off. The other projector (eagle eye's) which I used to have, had an H3 bulb that is meant more for a fog light. The light put on the eagle eyes is no comparison to the sonar's. The cut off was also horrible on the eagle eye's. There is no 9005/9006 projector. The sonars are as god as it gets for aftermarket headlights without retrofitting. Even though the projectors are meant for halogen bulbs they handle an HId bulb fairly well. There are plenty of pics and write ups on ls1tech.

To everyone that says HIDs don't blind other motorists is wrong. HIDs are not meant to be in a halogen housing. They are meant to be in a projector housing or something with a shield to limit the amount of glare for an oncoming motorist. Adjusting the beams down with HIDs to not blind anyone sort of defeats the purpose of upgrading the light output.
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    These are the best aftermarket projectors for a camaro. They use an H1 bulb that is good and has a dent cut off. The other projector (eagle eye's) which I used to have, had an H3 bulb that is meant more for a fog light. The light put on the eagle eyes is no comparison to the sonar's. The cut off was also horrible on the eagle eye's. There is no 9005/9006 projector. The sonars are as god as it gets for aftermarket headlights without retrofitting. Even though the projectors are meant for halogen bulbs they handle an HId bulb fairly well. There are plenty of pics and write ups on ls1tech.

To everyone that says HIDs don't blind other motorists is wrong. HIDs are not meant to be in a halogen housing. They are meant to be in a projector housing or something with a shield to limit the amount of glare for an oncoming motorist. Adjusting the beams down with HIDs to not blind anyone sort of defeats the purpose of upgrading the light output.

could u open those up using a heat gun? id like to redesign it.... and i they are the best in projecting lights.. just not the design.... im wondering if u could open it up like the oem headlights.. put em in the oven for a couple mins?

Tan
    1998 Chevy K2500 5.7 V8

i no of a website that u can get HID's for around $40

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

100% agree. Thats what I originally posted, yet people will still argue that you can use HID's in regular headlight housings. Not only is just plain stupid, but its illegal as well.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

could u open those up using a heat gun? id like to redesign it.... and i they are the best in projecting lights.. just not the design.... im wondering if u could open it up like the oem headlights.. put em in the oven for a couple mins?
    I have seen someone open them up on ls1tech. That person removed the halo's an the LEDs.

White
    1998 Trans Am

There is no need for projectors. I have installed hids in my factory trailblazer lights and realigned the lenses and have no issues with cops or passing state inspections with 6k bulbs and I have also installed a set in my ex's Tiburon with projectors and you just have lest adjustment to do for a good light pattern. I have done several Camaro's with factory lenses and those aftermarket projectors lenses both worked fine just had to align the stock lenses differently. I fun hids in my TA with normal aftermarket lenses as well as my stock non projector fogs. Only car I have had issues with is my 93 5.0's stock lenses and think that also has to do with the bulbs being bixenon instead of separated high and low also it is a frosted not a newer style reflector setup like my trailblazer and the camaro's I have done. People say you need projectors or their illegal but yet have to get a ticket in over 3yrs or fail a state inspection. Hids will work in any lens with proper adjustment no projectors needed despite what some seem to think, after doing installs on many makes and models and no one every having an issue with tickets or failing a inspection I have to argue with this whole need to waste money to buy new lenses, unless you want a different look for.you car other than stock than by all means get new lenses. Also another thing I have to say is one thing to remember is no aftermarket companies make better lens than the stock ones for quality. Best projector lenses are on the cars that come stock with them the aftermarket eBay lights are good but their quality is far from oem. I have installed them on everything from Camaro's to civic's stock always fits the beat sand is the highest quality.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

02 Z28

I have seen someone open them up on ls1tech. That person removed the halo's an the LEDs.
    link pls?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

link pls?
    If it's a link to LS1tech, take it to PM's please. Otherwise please don't post it.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

link pls?
    I don't have one. I recommend that you go there and search for sonar projectors.

There is no need for projectors. I have installed hids in my factory trailblazer lights and realigned the lenses and have no issues with cops or passing state inspections with 6k bulbs and I have also installed a set in my ex's Tiburon with projectors and you just have lest adjustment to do for a good light pattern. I have done several Camaro's with factory lenses and those aftermarket projectors lenses both worked fine just had to align the stock lenses differently. I fun hids in my TA with normal aftermarket lenses as well as my stock non projector fogs. Only car I have had issues with is my 93 5.0's stock lenses and think that also has to do with the bulbs being bixenon instead of separated high and low also it is a frosted not a newer style reflector setup like my trailblazer and the camaro's I have done. People say you need projectors or their illegal but yet have to get a ticket in over 3yrs or fail a state inspection. Hids will work in any lens with proper adjustment no projectors needed despite what some seem to think, after doing installs on many makes and models and no one every having an issue with tickets or failing a inspection I have to argue with this whole need to waste money to buy new lenses, unless you want a different look for.you car other than stock than by all means get new lenses. Also another thing I have to say is one thing to remember is no aftermarket companies make better lens than the stock ones for quality. Best projector lenses are on the cars that come stock with them the aftermarket eBay lights are good but their quality is far from oem. I have installed them on everything from Camaro's to civic's stock always fits the beat sand is the highest quality.
    Just because someone is not flashing that person, does not mean that that person is not blinding oncomers.

Tan
    1998 Chevy K2500 5.7 V8

HID's r not goin 2 blind other drivers

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy11 View Post
    some do some dont they really dont in our cars because of the ride height but if they were in a truck they would but oh well who cares no need to flame each other

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy11 View Post
    And how did you reach this momentous conclusion??

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    And how did you reach this momentous conclusion??
    honestly who cares if they do or dont even if they do its only for a few seconds calm down killer lol

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

honestly who cares if they do or dont even if they do its only for a few seconds calm down killer lol
    I'm sure the driver coming the other way who can't see cares.... I know I would.

Also on a side note... please keep this thread civil.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I about got out of my car at the stoplight to yell at someone because his lights were blinding me from behind. HID's do hurt and are blinding.

Even the pics above in this thread hurt my eyes.

I hope you guys will aim them just right and be more courteous to other drivers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information