Thread: HID Conversion

HID Conversion

I really wan't to do one. But what bulbs would I need? I know stocks are 9005 or 9006 but the h9 look more like them.

Anyone do one? Which kit did you use?

I guess this should have been in the appearance section. . . . Sorry

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

I just put a HID conversion on my 04 F150, I purchased them through eBay, best set I could find with a lifetime warranty on the bulbs and ballasts, my truck has low and high beam all in one bulb (9008)...the low beam is amazing! OEM or better HID quality, the high beam sucks! http://www.euroeffects.net/ very simple to install...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 camaro SS A4

'93-'97
    http://ledgauges.net/catalog/product...products_id=63

'98-'02
    http://ledgauges.net/catalog/product...products_id=61

Theres a few people on the fourm that have the HIDs from this company.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SS #2988, A4, Navy Blue Metalic, 335HP Dual Dual Exhaust, Chrome 10 spokes, Floor mats, Dash plaque, and SS Grille
    Best ET 13.08 @ 106.1, 2.00 60', with SLP lid

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 camaro SS A4

OOPS!! Worng links

'93-'97 low beam
    http://ledgauges.net/catalog/product...products_id=62

'93-'97 high beam
    http://ledgauges.net/catalog/product...products_id=63

'98-'02 fog light
    http://ledgauges.net/catalog/product...products_id=61

'98-'02 low beam
    http://ledgauges.net/catalog/product...products_id=59

'98-'02 high beam
    http://ledgauges.net/catalog/product...products_id=60

Theres a few people on the fourm that have the HIDs from this company.

White Liquid Silver

A little pricey (250), I paid 172 shipped for my set...but like I said the high beam is useless so maybe these sets are better...I like the fog light set! I rarely drive my Camaro at night so I never bothered getting a set for that, but they made a huge difference on my truck.

I bought the lowest Japanese made priced kit I could find using the 9006 socket. My problem was the kit comes with 8000k bulbs. 8000k is the front of the blue spectrum so the light you see is cast that way. I would recommend the white end (5000k) of the spectrum as there's something about the blue that doesn't seem to give the vivid daylight detail to the surface of the road or objects on it. Road signs and periphery seem to be much more visible in the 8000k + spectrum but I think that kind of lighting is also the type of light that blinds on-coming traffic. I have been told that the blue type lighting makes seeing difficult on snow but have no personal experience. Anyway, my 8000k lights are not what I had hoped for and replacement bulbs are as much as the entire kit. Perhaps my problem is rooted more in the 93/95 rectangular housing I chose to install the bulbs to. The modern LS1 housing are so much better for reflection that if I switched the kit to that car I might have an entirely different story.

To make matters worse, there are these xenon bulb replacement that claim to be HID but obviously are not; they are simply 65 - 85 watt X 12 volts. The HID kit I have is 35 watts with 23k (that's 23,000) volt step up. Maybe your thread will help produce better HID data so folks don't waste their money.

White Liquid Silver

Interesting b/c I got the 8000K and they seem to light up real nice and in the 2 weeks I've had them I've only had one person high beam me...and now my High beams are useless with this kit, but the low beams are incredible. I'll see about the snow soon enough..

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

You will need 9006 HID bulbs to replace the 9006 halogen bulb. Ledgauges is pricey there are better alternatives. PM me to find out where I got mine.

Mike
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

Quote Originally Posted by Joe00SS View Post
    Interesting b/c I got the 8000K and they seem to light up real nice and in the 2 weeks I've had them I've only had one person high beam me...and now my High beams are useless with this kit, but the low beams are incredible. I'll see about the snow soon enough..
    I wish I had gotten a notice of reply but apparently they're not showing up on my end; hence I'm reviving a month old thread.

Anyway - the headlights on the post 97 fbody is far better and the reason you're happy with the 8000k lighting I would think. I almost put the 8000k HID kit on my 01 with the angle eye aftermarket lights but my 95 is in such need of better lighting that I installed the kit into it. I might just buy another kit for the 01 but I think the silverstar ultras will be good enough.

I did discover that my driver side light was pointing low so the adjustment may help things. I think it depends on the mentality of the area drivers but here it seems blue lights and shiny objects are annoying to oncoming traffic.

White Liquid Silver

I'm going with the Silverstar Ultra's next time too...I have the older Silverstar's in the Camaro now and they light up just fine, the Ultra's claim to be even better. Screw all that ballast crap and expensive replacement bulbs.

Yeah, the ballast shit does not look like something I want to deal with eather.

White Liquid Silver

They say they are plug and go but I would disagree...I'm currently waiting on a relay kit for my truck b/c if I keep my lights on auto and I unlock the truck the lights would come on but with the HID's the driver side flickers until you start it and gets full power...Wish I hadn't spent all that $ on them...oh well.

I guess I made a good dissision. How are higher end cars on this?

White Liquid Silver

When they are OEM then it's no problem, like anything else you just have to find a reputable place and usually that means spending some $...the cheaper knock offs are just that...cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post
    I guess I made a good dissision. How are higher end cars on this?
    What was your decision?
    The $150 (shipped) kit I bought has a chrome plated ballast and what I think to be a weather sealed transformer. It appears to change the 12v / 35 watt power consumption to 23k volts for the 9006 socketed bulbs. The bulbs do not look anything like 9006 but the socket end matches the 3 tab, weather sealed locking drum for direct fit replacement of the oem bulbs. It comes with a quality looking harness and 4 3M style and quality double back pads. The bulbs are advertised to last 3000 hours which is far longer than the OEM.

I'm not sorry at all that I bought the kit, I just wish it would have come with white or yellow cast lighting. I really think my disappointment on the road has to do with those 93/97 rectangular sealed beam housings and reflectors from the original conversion and the fact I had the driver side headlight adjustment pointing down. The adjustment bubble was pegged so I don't know how bad my alignment was and haven't had the car out in the dark since fixing it.

White Liquid Silver

To be honest my car barely see's the dark and that's why I put them in my truck instead...but I don't believe I would buy another set again..

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

I have HID kit on mine. I bought them on sale. 6000K lumens.

Plug and play. I don't have to use my high beams anymore.

2K LPM Z28 M6- GMHTP StreetHeat feature Nov 12- Camaro Performers Readers' Rides feature Nov 12
    2K4 BS G35 sedan 5AT

Never got em'. It is kind of the same for me, my car never sees the dark. I drive my car around the block once a week, take it to the track once a month.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Have a set of 10000K HIDs for my lowbeam and my foglight replacements...

Working just as good as day one. One happy camper!!

(sorry, having problems with inserting pics)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...6_186_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...6_137_full.jpg

Thread Information