Hey everyone, new here and have a quest.

This is a discussion on Hey everyone, new here and have a quest. within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hey everyone, i'm new here. been reading the forums for a while but signed up recently. I know a little ...

Hey everyone, new here and have a quest.

Hey everyone, i'm new here. been reading the forums for a while but signed up recently. I know a little bit about cars, but nothing too technical. So I've been looking to buy either a z28/ss ot a t/a or ws6. been looking and looking, i live in miami. I'd really like an ls1 but i found this 97 z28 with good miles (for being a 97) and it looks pretty clean. they want 5,993 for it. Which to me seems like a good deal. I'm coming from a 04 accord and a v6 4runner so anything really is faster than those. Is there anything I should look for with this car? let me know what you think. thanks

http://www.autonation.com/index.cfm?...ntorytype=Used

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Save for the ls-1, the car is still 11 years old. You get what you pay for suck it up and spend the money on a nice car. Don't mind the waiting I waited over a year before I purchased mine. Preferably wait for one that has the bolt-ons and the tune. Those are usually cheaper or as cheap as the stock cars, and make sure to take it to a ls-1 mechanic and spend the 100 bucks for them to look it up and down-it's worth it, I know from personal experience.

thanks for the advice, theres also a 2000 ss 6spd vert nearby but it has 86k miles. Id rather find one that less miles than that. Would you say its better to get an auto because they last longer rather than a 6spd? id probably choose the one in better condition. i guess i have a lot of looking to do. but i hope to get something within the next 2-3months.

whats the average price for 00 to 02 z28's and ss's?
    Last edited by lakai; 08-29-2008 at 04:55 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I paid $5k for a 98 with 174,xxx miles on it. I use it as my DD. It runs like a top.

Look at it this way: Would you rather have a low mileage car that was rode hard and put away wet or a high mileage car that has been well taken care of?

That said, I don't subject the 98 to too much abuse. The 2002 on the other hand..... With 3.73's and a 3400 stall.... It's gets ridden pretty hard at the track. It's not put away wet though.

I'd look for an LS1 car. The performance difference is nigh and day. My prior DD was a 96 Z28.

If you can afford it then get an 01 or 02. Better factory exhaust, better posi and an LS6 intake make them better than prior years.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

nws

Quote Originally Posted by lakai View Post
    thanks for the advice, theres also a 2000 ss 6spd vert nearby but it has 86k miles. Id rather find one that less miles than that. Would you say its better to get an auto because they last longer rather than a 6spd? id probably choose the one in better condition. i guess i have a lot of looking to do. but i hope to get something within the next 2-3months.

whats the average price for 00 to 02 z28's and ss's?
    Where your at I have no idea what the price is expect to pay 11000 to 14000 for a cherry car maybe 8000 if your lucky being the lowest but 11000 is going to be the average(like I said regardless ask around for a local ls-1 mechanic and take it to them before purchasing so you find out the real price of the car is). Get an 01-02, you'll regret having to put the ls-6 intake on yourself or if your mechanically inclined go for the 98-00'. As for trannies autos last longer if you keep it strcitly just a bolt-on car, if you add a cam or smaller gears then the autos longevity goes out the window, along with the rear end-but that goes for both trannies. Yeah you do have alot of reading to do go to ls1tech.com and start looking at the stickies posted in the external section search for ls-6 intake swap or on ls1howto.com (pretty informative just type in opsu broke in the ls1tech section and you'll save yourself trouble during a swap). Look at dynaometer results, check out peoples pictures of cars and videos to see which car tickles your fancy etc

thanks for the help i appreciate it. a lot of the ss's i see for sale that are <60k miles are 13-17,000. and then the gto's are 18-21,000. but i like the camaro's more. guess i got a lot of looking to do to find a good one. i had a friend with a t/a that was going to help me but he ended up moving recently. i guess you guys are right in waiting and getting a good ls1 so i dont end up regretting it later on. i'm more interested in getting an auto because of miami traffic but if i find a really nice m6 i wont pass it up. i probably wont end up doing much more than the traditional bolt ons because i'm gonna use it as a DD but we'll see. ive been looking at the threads of everyones cars here and you all have really nice rides! hope i can join you guys soon. thanks for the help!
    Last edited by lakai; 08-29-2008 at 10:17 PM.

Black
    98 Z28

Hello Im new here too just picked up a 98 Z28 auto. This is my 2nd Camaro the first was a 94 with the LT1 auto. Definately a difference between the two. I got a good deal and found one with some really nice mods. The mileage is a little high but the car was well taken care of.

any reason though not to get an lt1 other than it being slower?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

yeah they are older and things are much more likely to break down. Shouldn't slower be more than enough reason? Quick personal history raced an lt1 with shorties intake and 3.73 gears at infineon. Me bonestcok with 2.73 gears I got 13.4's and he got 13.3's. put 3.73's in mine if I didn't already have the bolt-ons would make it a 12 second car.

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by lakai View Post
    any reason though not to get an lt1 other than it being slower?

The LT1 is not a slow car. I guess if you compare it stock to a stock LS1, it's slower but 275 hp is not a slow car to me. I've owned a few sports cars and several mustangs.
    There are mods that can be made that turns that LT1 into a beast. Back when I had mine I addd a functional ram air kit with the hood, larger throttlebody and pacesetter ceramic headers. Those few bolt ons really improved the performance of the car. The real weakness of the LT1 are the exhaust ports in the heads. Add an LT4 top end package and its supposed to be a proven 425hp. There available at summit and a few other places.

Heres the problem I have with the LT1, the optispark distributor and the whole cap and rotor setup. Who ever designed this should be drug out in the street and shot. The distributor cap and rotor are very expensive but that wasn't my problem. My problem is where its located. You have to take off damn near the whole front of the engine to get to it. And a simple cap and rotor change means you really need to replace the water pump and distributor. Why? Because if either of these two parts fail they will destroy the new cap and rotor you just spent all day trying to replace. For this reason alone is why I got rid of the car. And don't think about taking it anywhere to have it done because the cheapest price I got was about $700 bucks.
    Last edited by Lethal Z; 08-31-2008 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
    The LT1 is not a slow car. I guess if you compare it stock to a stock LS1, it's slower but 275 hp is not a slow car to me. I've owned a few sports cars and several mustangs.
    There are mods that can be made that turns that LT1 into a beast. Back when I had mine I addd a functional ram air kit with the hood, larger throttlebody and pacesetter ceramic headers. Those few bolt ons really improved the performance of the car. The real weakness of the LT1 are the exhaust ports in the heads. Add an LT4 top end package and its supposed to be a proven 425hp. There available at summit and a few other places.

Heres the problem I have with the LT1, the optispark distributor and the whole cap and rotor setup. Who ever designed this should be drug out in the street and shot. The distributor cap and rotor are very expensive but that wasn't my problem. My problem is where its located. You have to take off damn near the whole front of the engine to get to it. And a simple cap and rotor change means you really need to replace the water pump and distributor. Why? Because if either of these two parts fail they will destroy the new cap and rotor you just spent all day trying to replace. For this reason alone is why I got rid of the car. And don't think about taking it anywhere to have it done because the cheapest price I got was about $700 bucks.

yea i heard that opti spark is a pain in the ass. thats the only thing that makes me weary of the lt1

red
    99 camaro ss

camaro

i bought a camaross on e-bay got a great deal

Thread Information