Help, SS won't start

This is a discussion on Help, SS won't start within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I only drive my SS once every 2 weeks, so last night I decided to back it out and run ...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5227

Exclamation Help, SS won't start

I only drive my SS once every 2 weeks, so last night I decided to back it out and run everything since it had been sitting. The car started right up, and when I went to move it back inside, it wouldnt start. The battery seemed totally dead, the only thing I got was a weak but rapid door chime. My neighbor came over with a battery charger, and it said it was good. The car would still not start, and nothing is getting power. I have read some things about the VATS acting up, but I think you usually have power to other accesories. If it wasnt for the charger, I would say the battery was dead, but it isnt that old either. Just curious if anyone has any ideas. Thanks

Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by JDurick View Post
    I only drive my SS once every 2 weeks, so last night I decided to back it out and run everything since it had been sitting. The car started right up, and when I went to move it back inside, it wouldnt start. The battery seemed totally dead, the only thing I got was a weak but rapid door chime. My neighbor came over with a battery charger, and it said it was good. The car would still not start, and nothing is getting power. I have read some things about the VATS acting up, but I think you usually have power to other accesories. If it wasnt for the charger, I would say the battery was dead, but it isnt that old either. Just curious if anyone has any ideas. Thanks
    Stupid question... but did you check all your battery connections? Pos. and neg. cables? Corrosion on the battery posts?

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic
    D1 @ 14psi - E85 - Forged - Kooks LT's - Kooks exhaust - Mcleod RPX twin disc clutch - RPM trans - 100# ID injectors - Holley 12-1400 pump
    701 rwhp 687 rwtq

2015 Silverado Z71 5.3 - Midnight Edition
    OEM

2002 Z28: M6 NBM **sold**

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Stupid question... but did you check all your battery connections? Pos. and neg. cables? Corrosion on the battery posts?
    +1 sounds like a bad connection somewhere

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5227

Yeah, I checked all the connections, and even tried to disconnect the negative for about 15 min. I forgot to mention, the car has 70,000 miles, and the only mods are exhaust and a lid.

black
    1991 camaro

OK

have you tryed running the codes on it

Work..Eat..Sleep..Repeat nut6778's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28

Disconnect the battery and touch the + and - together for 30 seconds. Then reconnect. This was a tip I got a long time ago on another vehicle and it has fixed about 90% of all wierd electrical issues I've had.
    Let me know if it works!
    Nut

2002 Z28

Track History
    5-10-08 13.522 @ 106.59 72 degrees ~ Stock? No Mods? (this is how I bought it)
    6-14-08 13.577 @ 106.71 93 degrees ~ SLP Lid, Smooth Bellow, and Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
    Next Race: I'm done for this season...be back next year!

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5227

Thanks

Hey guys,

Thanks for the helpful info so far. I had to go out of town until Sunday night, so it will be until Monday until I get anything figured out. I swear it is like a dead battery, but the charger says it is good. My door chime is really weak with the key in the ignition, and if i try to use an accesory like the power seat, it fades away until I let go of it. If nothing else, I might just have to try a new battery. I only hope it is that easy.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Hey guys,

Thanks for the helpful info so far. I had to go out of town until Sunday night, so it will be until Monday until I get anything figured out. I swear it is like a dead battery, but the charger says it is good. My door chime is really weak with the key in the ignition, and if i try to use an accesory like the power seat, it fades away until I let go of it. If nothing else, I might just have to try a new battery. I only hope it is that easy.
    If your other car has a side post battery throw it in and see if she will fire up

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5227

Got it started

Hey guys,

Thanks for the helpful info. Finally after getting the time to look at it I got it to start. I guess I over reacted from the weird symptoms. Turns out that there was a little corrosion under the positive connector, not much but enough I guess. I am just glad it wasnt some weird electrical issue.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Hey guys,

Thanks for the helpful info. Finally after getting the time to look at it I got it to start. I guess I over reacted from the weird symptoms. Turns out that there was a little corrosion under the positive connector, not much but enough I guess. I am just glad it wasnt some weird electrical issue.
    glad it was a quick fix for you

Thread Information