black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

Help with noise!

Hey guys, since I got my z28 in february there has been a screeching noise coming from under the hood. It almost sounds like a supercharger that is squeaking if that makes sense. Auto zone said it was the idler pulley or the water pump. I hope it's not the water pump, but has anyone else had this problem? Also my SES went off and they said it had something to do with my Air Pump, has anyone had that code?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

sounds like the AIR pump has crapped out or on its way out. but the AIR pump is only active on cold starts and does not run the entire time the engine is on. find a used working one for cheap and replace it...

if your water pump was going, you would be leaking coolant through the weep hole and you would be able to smell it as well...

idler pulleys do go bad, but start w/the AIR pump from there and then the other areas. also whoile you're at it, check all your belts for cracks...

black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    sounds like the AIR pump has crapped out or on its way out. but the AIR pump is only active on cold starts and does not run the entire time the engine is on. find a used working one for cheap and replace it...

if your water pump was going, you would be leaking coolant through the weep hole and you would be able to smell it as well...

idler pulleys do go bad, but start w/the AIR pump from there and then the other areas. also whoile you're at it, check all your belts for cracks...
    If I understand what you're saying then it is probably the Air pump because it makes the noise for about 5-10 minutes but eventually goes away after driving it.

Thread Information