Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help needed 1968 Camaro

This is a discussion on Help needed 1968 Camaro within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; OK had the car up on the hoist today... the engine no. is 3970010 its got a 10 bolt diff ...

Blue
    1968 Chevrolet Camaro

OK had the car up on the hoist today...

the engine no. is 3970010

its got a 10 bolt diff and serial no. is 12_48 could be a 2 or a 3 very hard to tell!!

any more info from you guys would be great

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

It's not the original engine then as the 010 block didn't make an appearance til the late 69 MY. Still a 350 though and may be a 4 bolt main. No way to tell short of taking off the pan though. What is the casting date on the block?

Also if you remove a valve cover you will find the casting number and date of the heads.

If it's the original 10 bolt rear that means it's not an original SS. IIRC, all SS's had a 12 bolt rear end.

Blue
    1968 Chevrolet Camaro

thanks for that...

nevermind, she's still a beauty and goes well...

will look for the other things you mentioned when it gets its next service.

In the meantime as I dont have any photos of my own....

http://www.tgsmusclecars.com.au/fifteen.html

in case you wanna see her

FWIW a bit of trivia, I was born 3rd April 1968 and by coincidence she was built 4th week April 68

SPOOKY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    It's not the original engine then as the 010 block didn't make an appearance til the late 69 MY. Still a 350 though and may be a 4 bolt main. No way to tell short of taking off the pan though. What is the casting date on the block?

Also if you remove a valve cover you will find the casting number and date of the heads.

If it's the original 10 bolt rear that means it's not an original SS. IIRC, all SS's had a 12 bolt rear end.
    Your memory serves you well Jim, you are correct, all the SS's had the 12 bolt, since the minimum engine for the SS was the 350 in all the 67-69 camaro's. 295 hp in 67-68 and 300 hp in 69.

No worries though Grange,,,,any first gen camaro is worth having nowadays. That body style has become an icon.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Beautiful car! Congrats!
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by GRANGE View Post
    FWIW a bit of trivia, I was born 3rd April 1968 and by coincidence she was built 4th week April 68

SPOOKY!!!!
    I think that is kind of cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    No worries though Grange,,,,any first gen camaro is worth having nowadays. That body style has become an icon.
    This

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Here is a brief run down after seeing the vid and link:

1. Tach is probably a repro and the gauges are aftermarket. Much better than no tach and the standard idiot lights.

2. While the seats appear to be original 68 style the white piping, while a nice touch is not original. The 712 code is Black standard buckets and the E is black paint interior. The E is a Norwood only thing as LA cars didn't have this code although the interiors are all the same regardless.

3. Steering wheel is aftermarket but it's a nice improvement over the stocker.

4. The tail lights are incorrect insofar as they are all red, ala RS style. Original would be red outside and white inside as those would be the backup lights. It appears to have been rewired to make them all come on when the brake is applied. Not a bad thing as quite a few folks do that over here also.

5. Powerglide tranny and 10 bolt rear end may be original. Would need to check date codes to verify.

6. The rear mount antenna may be original but chances are it's not.

7. The Marina Blue paint looks great. It's not the original color though. Your car originally was Corvette Bronze with a black vinyl top. The rear deck spoiler was probably added at some point also, as were the stripes when it was painted.

8. Chances are the Ralley Wheels were an add on also.

9. The ducted hood (Cowl hood) was a 69 only thing. Not to worry though as it's a popular refit. I have one on my 67.

10. Engine accessory drives are 69 style.

The things I pointed out are not a critique of the car but rather a comparison between what a stocker would be and what has been changed throughout the years. Very few of these cars (1st gen Camaro's) are original at this point as they are all more than 40 years old by now. Most original cars are the "supercars" and even these have had things changed, added, etc as back in the day they were just used cars. They did back then just as we do now with our modern versions: Modify them to suit our tastes and purposes.

Will you have to convert to RH drive to drive it in Oz? If so then too bad as the car looks and sounds like it would be a great DD or really nice weekend warrior.

Wow Jim I didn't even catch the pictures and the video,,I'm glad there are other old folk here to point things out to me

You are right about the stripes, That style striping was Z28 specific only on the 1st gens. The SS's would have had the optional hockey stripe or nothing at all.

I like it Grange, SS or not, these are great looking cars that just never go out of style. Drive it and enjoy it.

Here is an original unrestored Z for ya Jim, although a quicky primer job was done 30 years ago, all the jambs still have original paint. It's otherwise an untouched original. Shhh, it's in hiding right now.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Larry,

Is yours a Norwood car? Does it have a X33 or X77 code (provided it was built after the middle of December)?

The thing with 69 Z28 is the factory built some 28,xxx or so of them but there's gotta be about 50,xxx of them around these days. Most cloned car ever.

The hockey stick stripe as well as the over the nose and back thru the door stripe were 69 only. Any 67/8 could have had a bumble bee stripe over the nose though, and in various colors depending on body color.

You probably already know this but Dale on the AZFBA board has a 68 Z28 that I believe Jerry McNeish (sp?) has certified as genie. He's the one that also has a White 68 RS w/Bumble Bee nose stripe that he cloned into an SS. He also owns the Orange 71 RS that he was building with his son Landon.

I'm gonna have to get up to your place one of these days. It's not like you live across the country anymore.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 03-18-2011 at 02:29 PM.

It's the real deal X33 code RS Z built the 4 week of December (Norwood car).
    With white deluxe houndstooth (code 729) which is actually called Ivory deluxe houndstooth. It's all there, right down to the BX code 12 bolt.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Larry,

Is yours a Norwood car? Does it have a X33 or X77 code (provided it was built after the middle of December)?

The thing with 69 Z28 is the factory built some 28,xxx or so of them but there's gotta be about 50,xxx of them around these days. Most cloned car ever.

The hockey stick stripe as well as the over the nose and back thru the door stripe were 69 only. Any 67/8 could have had a bumble bee stripe over the nose though, and in various colors depending on body color.

You probably already know this but Dale on the AZFBA board has a 68 Z28 that I believe Jerry McNeish (sp?) has certified as genie. He's the one that also has a White 68 RS w/Bumble Bee nose stripe that he cloned into an SS. He also owns the Orange 71 RS that he was building with his son Landon.

I'm gonna have to get up to your place one of these days. It's not like you live across the country anymore.

With white deluxe houndstooth (code 729) which is actually called Ivory deluxe houndstooth. It's all there, right down to the BX code 12 bolt.
    You guys are nerds! jk jk

Thanks for the knowledge you 2, awesome knowing you guys have so much info to share. And beautiful Z Larry

Yep nerds we are When it comes to these cars in particular, numbers, build dates, codes,,, are everything. They are $100K+ cars when done correctly so you have to have your ducks in a row before you fork out that kind of cash. I have an SCJ that is the same way, but Fords are easy to document with Marty reports.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

You find a build sheet anywhere? LA 69's usually have one on top of the gas tank between it and the trunk.

Reason I ask is because of the headrests on the front seats. They may be an option as they were not mandatory until Jan 1, 1969. Yours being a 4th week of Dec 68 build then maybe not...

Also, does it have D80 on the TT. I noticed the front spoiler.

Have you submitted the info on your car to the CRG? If you haven't I'm sure Kurt Sonnet would like to have the info for his database.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 03-18-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added info

2 build sheets on the car. Yes it's a D80 spoiler car as well, cowl induction, 4.88 rear, M22 etc....
    I don't recall anything about headrests on the buildsheet, but I'm certain they are original to the car. Everything about the car is pretty much unmollested. Nothing submitted to any registery. It's been hiding since the early 80's Last tagged in 82. Still runs and drives though.

Blue
    1968 Chevrolet Camaro

[/QUOTE] Will you have to convert to RH drive to drive it in Oz? If so then too bad as the car looks and sounds like it would be a great DD or really nice weekend warrior.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info... yeah I've always LOVED the 67-69 Camaros and I'm not disappointed in those facts.

To be blatantly honest if it was the original color, corvette bronze/black, I probably would have walked right past it

But as I said I love it

She will be my weekend driver and will put a smile on my face just knowing she's in the garage waiting for me.

Here in OZ if its pre 72 we no longer need to convert from LHD so she will stay as she is. I am picking up some dress up gear along the way to refresh some of the more worn/dated stuff (i.e.) new Edelbrock rocker covers, air filter etc.. but, will keep the old stuff even if only for novelty value.

For a laugh, they had a sister car to mine in the showroom which was red with white rally stripes. It had a V-V code and was a 5th week Dec 1968 car. It also had a R183 code but no options. Should be on the website my link came off if you're interested.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Good thing you no longer have to convert pre 72 cars. Like I said it looks to be a solid driver quality car.

FWIW, regarding exterior color codes with regards to the percentage of production:

Your 68 Camaro as an "O" code (Corvette Bronze which is a shade of red) was about 7% of production or roughly 16,460 cars. The V-V (Sequoia Green top and bottom) was about 2.5% of production or roughly 5,900 cars. Much rarer color as a percentage of production.

These figures are courtesy of the Camaro Research Group (CRG) website.

By way of contrast my 67 is a K-K (Emerald Turquoise) code exterior which was about 3.5% of production or roughly 7,700 cars and it has Parchment/Black (White) Deluxe interior, estimated to be about 5% of production or roughly 11,000 cars. Add the fact that it also has power windows (among other options such as power disc brakes, power steering, tilt steering wheel and many others) that only 4,957 67 Camaro's had (a little over 2% of production) and it becomes a XX of XX car by my estimation (main reason I kept it over all the others I've had)... While actual numbers are not available I figure it's pretty rare, especially considering I've only seen 5 other cars that were K-K code paint in 25 years of searching and none of them were white deluxe interior (let alone having power windows).

According to the CRG (per an email with them some years ago) they only had 1 K color code 67 with white interior in their database (before I sent them the info about mine) and it was a big block vert.

Blue
    1968 Chevrolet Camaro

ok we're finding out bits and pieces again...

my suspension guy says its got a "LSD posi rear end????" does that shed any more light on my mongrel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information