Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Help me decide!!

This is a discussion on Help me decide!! within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Z28_SS my ultamite goal for this car is to make it a monster on the track. I ...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_SS View Post
    my ultamite goal for this car is to make it a monster on the track. I want to get it down there as fast as possible and do it on 2 tires....i know the wheels lifting up is a bad thing, but it looks cool....pretty much what im looking at is i have about a thousand to blow. I dont yet want to do gears. I want to start doing engine work and doing things im really going to notice a difference with since it isnt often that i get to throw new things on my baby
    pulling the front wheels is a good thing, means the weight and torque has transfered correctly to the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    If I were you I'd think about the suspension 1st and the driveline 2nd. All that power will do you no good if you can't put it to the ground. A stone stock LS1 does really nice burnouts. That's cuz it's overpowering the tires and suspension and it ain't hooking up. SFC's followed by a T/A and maybe a better rear end. Stickier tires too. Then think about making more power. Beef the motor now and start racing it and I guaranty you that you'll break something like the tranny tailshaft or rear gears.

well said indeed!

Red
    98 SS Camaro

ok so back to square one, do i drop the whole cam thing which i initially wanted to go with and look into doing things like the gears... if so, is there any biiger gears then 4:10's that'll fit and work in my car without snapping anything?

Pewter
    2000 z28

ok so back to square one, do i drop the whole cam thing which i initially wanted to go with and look into doing things like the gears... if so, is there any biiger gears then 4:10's that'll fit and work in my car without snapping anything?
    what trans do you have again?

Pewter
    2000 z28

there are a few options besides 4.10s. its not how big just for your knowledge, its the lengths of the gears averaged out (i think) and the final drive ratio is the gear name.i.e. 4.10. you could go with 4.11s, 4.56s, hell even 3.90s. the rear end, 10 bolt carrier is what will break for sure. this needs to be replaced with a beefier unit, something like a strange s60 or moser 12 bolt or a ford 9 inch housing. all of these are vastly superior to the 7.5 inch rear end currently under your f body. these rears are from the s10s, i know i had the same one in my s10, except it was a 3.73 posi unit!

more details please....

Red
    98 SS Camaro

my transmission is the standard one that comes with it, i think it is called an m6 t56

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

IIRC, the upgrade to the suspension consisted of better shocks (Bilstein vs stock DeCarbon) and bigger tires and rims (17" vs stock 16").

Think of it this way: Every time you dump the clutch your twisting the car in the opposite direction of engine rotation (which is twisting the body clockwise when sitting in the drivers seat). Unless you tie the front and rear sub-frames together you'll eventually twist the car.

One of my buds had a 2000 SS that he drove and drag raced (big shot of N2O). At 50K miles he went to put BMR SFC's in his car. I had to fab a 1/4 - 3/8" thick (or thereabouts) spacer for the back in the right rear cuz the car had twisted that much. Also, if you do this get the kind that go all the way to the spring eye as they work better IMO. FYI: LT1 style (93-97) SFC's will not work with your car as the engine cradle is different which resulted in a slight change to the front sub-frame.

A better (tube steel vs stock stamped steel) torque arm will keep your tires planted and help reduce wheel hop. Wheel hop (a shuddering feel in the seat when you launch) is the #1 killer of the weak rear end our cars have.

If you're serious abut making it a drag only car then you'll definitely want a better rear end. 12-bolt or 9". Gear it so you're at peak HP as you cross the line.

There's more to it and better folks have written books on the subject.

Red
    98 SS Camaro

if you could tell me the name of this literature for me to read up on, that would be great, because i have alot of time on my hands and i am very eager to learn alot on this .

Red
    98 SS Camaro

how much would that ford 9'' run me

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

how much would that ford 9'' run me
    if you want to keep tcs or ABS get a strange or moser

Red
    98 SS Camaro

how much would one of those bad boys run me

98' trans am

how much would one of those bad boys run me
    a strange 12 bolt and a moser will run from 1400-1799+ bones. depending on what you want with it. um a ford 9" is a lil cheaper i believe around the 1000-1300 range. but why put a ford product in a gm..keep the blood line pure j/k

Red
    98 SS Camaro

i completly agree there, i just herd a lot of good things about the ford 9". It would definetally hurt though putting in a ford product...

back to the topic at hand though. What is THE thing that i should do next, because from what everone said, just drop the idea of the cam for now and wait. So should the next thing be the rear end

Pewter
    2000 z28

i completly agree there, i just herd a lot of good things about the ford 9". It would definetally hurt though putting in a ford product...

back to the topic at hand though. What is THE thing that i should do next, because from what everone said, just drop the idea of the cam for now and wait. So should the next thing be the rear end
    it all depends man....no one can answer. i have buddies who have a strong drivetrain and no engine mods yet, and i have buddies with just the opposite. there isnt a right answer to this question, just a bunch of logical ones coming from different people. you can do the h/c combo now, just dont expect to track your car or put the dr's on and launch because you will break your rear housing....

I personally worry about opening the exhaust up. headers are arguably the best bang for the buck. in my opinion you should be patient, cover all your bases and build from the ground up to ensure the absolute most power and durablility from your set up. just remember, if you drag race you are likely to break things....just an expense of the sport. damn worth it in my opinion...

good luck bro.
    oh great intentions, ive got the best of interventions...

Missouri and Central IL members come in!!!!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f26/missouri-muscle-central-il-come-48861/

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    it all depends man....no one can answer. i have buddies who have a strong drivetrain and no engine mods yet, and i have buddies with just the opposite. there isnt a right answer to this question, just a bunch of logical ones coming from different people. you can do the h/c combo now, just dont expect to track your car or put the dr's on and launch because you will break your rear housing....

I personally worry about opening the exhaust up. headers are arguably the best bang for the buck. in my opinion you should be patient, cover all your bases and build from the ground up to ensure the absolute most power and durablility from your set up. just remember, if you drag race you are likely to break things....just an expense of the sport. damn worth it in my opinion...

good luck bro.
    he is 100 percent right

Red
    98 SS Camaro

it looks like my car just decided for me what im going to get.......
    a new tranny and clutch......

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

good luck bro.
    Good post and I agree!
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Red
    98 SS Camaro

yeah... well my tranny and clutch are starting to take a crap on me soo. looks like im going to have to wait on that cam....

Pewter
    2000 z28

i just want to clarify that a ford 9 inch housing are no where near expensive. used is just as good as new and the 9 inch complete without axles or tubes is about 100-200 at your local yard. shit, no better value there. then you can spend your money on new seals, new higher spline axles and gears. i think shady was talking new.....

the strange s60 and moser units are easily over a grand brand new....try looking around on here, ebay, and (oh god) ls1tech for a deal on a slightly used one. if it was installed correctly there shouldnt be a problem...

as for the rest of the drivetrain, your clutch selection is vital. it will determine in part what power gets to the pavement and how driveable the car is and how early on it grabs...so on and so forth. get the right one for your application and power goals and do your research. do not wanna mess up the clutch...i can tell you first hand that a slipping clutch or a soft pedal sucks at the track....

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

i just want to clarify that a ford 9 inch housing are no where near expensive. used is just as good as new and the 9 inch complete without axles or tubes is about 100-200 at your local yard. shit, no better value there. then you can spend your money on new seals, new higher spline axles and gears. i think shady was talking new.....

the strange s60 and moser units are easily over a grand brand new....try looking around on here, ebay, and (oh god) ls1tech for a deal on a slightly used one. if it was installed correctly there shouldnt be a problem...

as for the rest of the drivetrain, your clutch selection is vital. it will determine in part what power gets to the pavement and how driveable the car is and how early on it grabs...so on and so forth. get the right one for your application and power goals and do your research. do not wanna mess up the clutch...i can tell you first hand that a slipping clutch or a soft pedal sucks at the track....
    Thanks for clearing things up about the price of the 9" ford. When I suggested a 9" ford rear for this guy, I was trying to tell him which way to go for the cheapest amount of money and still have a good product. I knew that some people were going to give me crap and say why put a ford product in a chevy but the ford 9" is one hell of a bargain and I guarantee it will last just as long as the moser. I am not a ford fan but the 9" ford rearend is one thing that they did get right.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
    Thanks for clearing things up about the price of the 9" ford. When I suggested a 9" ford rear for this guy, I was trying to tell him which way to go for the cheapest amount of money and still have a good product. I knew that some people were going to give me crap and say why put a ford product in a chevy but the ford 9" is one hell of a bargain and I guarantee it will last just as long as the moser. I am not a ford fan but the 9" ford rearend is one thing that they did get right.
    this pureness crap is overrated. if it works, use it. i wouldnt hesitate to use a ford rear or fuel injectors. they work....for cheap.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information