Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Exclamation help??? heads/cam/etc

Okay so my fiancee never comes on here and im at a loss...I want to get him something good for christmas and i was thinking heads and cam or something along those lines....he owns a 99 SS....

Suggestions? Brands? Etc.? I know absolutely nothing about this and need help....Thanks guys!!

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

The fact that you want to give him head for x-mas is awesome...I'm going to ask my wife to contact you ASAP...please give her any tips you think will help...LOL

J/K He's a lucky guy

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Joe00SS View Post
    The fact that you want to give him head for x-mas is awesome...I'm going to ask my wife to contact you ASAP...please give her any tips you think will help...LOL

J/K He's a lucky guy

lol j/k

No really though i need help asap im flyin blind....

White Liquid Silver

I'm just a wise guy...I really can't help with your question...my car is stock and I'm content with it that way. Now if my wife (fiance) wanted to buy me a fishing boat for x-mas...hmmm

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Comp cams are really good, I am not sure what is the best set of heads

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

It will also help to know more about the car, is it an auto or stick, does it have any mods yet? becasue if your going to get heads and cams you want to make sure he has full bolt ons (headers, exhuast intake ect.)

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    It will also help to know more about the car, is it an auto or stick, does it have any mods yet? becasue if your going to get heads and cams you want to make sure he has full bolt ons (headers, exhuast intake ect.)
    automatic....headers, exhaust, cold air intake, no cats, chipped

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Well what does he want a drag car, or soemthign that is also streetable. Heads arent cheap thats one hell of a christmas present, and if you get him a cam, you will need new pushrods, oil pump, timing chain and springs but if you get heads they would coem with the springs. If i were you i would get him everything for a cam swap and then a lsx fast intake manifold.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Also wat kind of chip does it have? If its one of those "speedchips" from ebay that you connect to the intake, mite be helpful to tell him to take it off right away unless he wants to buy a new motor soon...

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I think it's great that you want to get him such a thoughtful gift, as any of us guys would appreciate it. The problem is, that it is such a difficult gift to buy. My suggestion would be this; as you guys are looking at his favorite Chevy magazine together, you kinda very sneakily ask "So Honey, if you were going to throw a set of heads on the Camaro, would you buy a set of Patriots, or RHS?" Then listen carefully and be ready to take mental notes as he rips off his answer. "These are the ones I want!!!!" Because trust me, each of us guys already knows which set of heads we want for our car, if we were asked. I honestly don't think you'd be letting the cat out of the bag if you did this, because which of us would think we'd be getting a set of heads for Christmas? Good luck.

White Liquid Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 01LSS6Camaro View Post
    because which of us would think we'd be getting a set of heads for Christmas? Good luck.
    Exactly! She has my vote for women of the month

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Many factors come into play when picking a cam. It would be nearly impossible to know exactly what to recommend. What is his goals with the car, what rear end ratio is in the car, daily driver, street/strip, mostly a weekend warrior, smooth or choppy idle, if you do get an aggressive cam, you will also need a new intake manifold, + probably a dozen more questions.

For any good cam, head, push rod, spring, timing chain combo you are looking at it is at least $3500 not including labor and the custom Dyno tune you will need at the end to make the car run correctly. You are looking at around a $4500-5000 if not more x-mas present.

If you have that kind of dough, Why didn't I meet you first (Just kidding), better to have him be a part of the decision making process.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 11-08-2007 at 07:41 AM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Another suggestion is just buying a cam kit. Its around $750 for a new cam, push rods and valve springs. Depending on the mileage on the car you might also need a new timing chain and oil pump. If his car is mostly a daily driver or an occasional strip car, he really doesn't need the heads. Install and a custom tune is also needed. You are looking at around $1800-$2200 total to do something like this.

Like I said above in my other post, many factors come into play when picking out the right cam and only your Fiancee knows where he is going with his car.

Beware, a cam adds horsepower to the car, He also needs the supporting drive train modifications to handle the extra power. That is a whole other topic but having Sub frame connectors is almost a must have.

What ever you decide, it is a decision that has a 1000 different answers and I would definitely not buy anything until he has a say in the matter. Might be best to surprise him on X-mass with your intentions, then let him pick what would be best for what he was trying to do, and let you be in on the goings on. Could be a fun project between you and him.

I know my wife would never buy anything for my car unless she knew for sure exactally what I wanted.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 11-08-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

If you get gim a cam, you will need, springs, pushrods, the cam timign chain oil pump. Are you just getting him the parts or are you paying for the install. Its not hard to do a cam swap. You dont need a new intake manifold, but it does help unless alot of resitriced hp. He will proably also need a clutch. If he has an auto he should get some tranny work but i see people running cams on stock auto trannys all the time.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Forgot to mention, if you live in an area with emissions, more than likely a larger cam will not pass. he will either have to change cams every 2-3 years to get it to pass or you might need a smaller cam that will pass emissions.

I live in a county that does not require Emissions so I don't ever have to worry about it.

White Liquid Silver

Just give him a gift card x-mas morning dressed in only a Santa hat...nothing else...problem solved

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by Joe00SS View Post
    Just give him a gift card x-mas morning dressed in only a Santa hat...nothing else...problem solved
    +1 problem solved!!!! Why didn't I just say that in the first place.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

What about a gift card for summit racing lol

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Lets try to help the OP and lay off the sexual jokes guys.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

White Liquid Silver

your absolutely right...sorry...does OP mean older person? J/K

Thread Information