JET BLACK
    99 SS

Help!!! Buying ss camaro!!!

ok. Ive always wanted a ss camaro and this dude has 2 for sale. a 00 black ss with 132k miles and flows ttops pretty much stock, other is 00 pewter 06k miles really no mods. black one he wants 6500, the pewter one he wants 7500. Problem is he says the black is a real ss and it has cloth interior. Is this a real ss? How much would you guys give this dude the max for each??

the black http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1569088438.html
    the pewter http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1569072522.html

o yea clean titles too. all info greatly appreicated.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Hey fellow bay area member.
    Let me help you out here biggest difference between a ss and z28 is the hood and spoiler. The rest is the cost in insurance money for looking different-catch my drift?
    The pewter one has some nice starter mods, I would ask if that knock sensor stuff was done at a dealership otherwise you don't know if that person has been in the car's internals and then de-modded it for resale.
    Ask what brake pads were used on the black one
    They both are nice (for the miles) and seem to have been maintained when something went wrong. If you spent another 1 or 2g's you could pick some up with less miles, what's important to you other than a working car?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

oh local sites
    norcal-lsx.com
    sacfbodyz.com

JET BLACK
    99 SS

I want the black one. Is this a real ss even though its cloth interor? And I dont have another 1 or 2 gs to spend either this black ss or this z http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1572561964.html

what do yall think? I was also looking at this 89 5.0 chp edition 350 hp. really hot. but dont really want to go to the dark side lol I want a maro.

midnight blue
    2002 camaro

they did make the SS with cloth. my buddy has a 01 ss that has cloth, 6-speed, and a hard top. if you are still not sure get the vin and call your insurance agent or the dealer

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

Hey the same guy, you can look at them both at the same time and decide for yourself which one you like more. Go for an SS they look better than a old 89 5.0 in the mid of a black out at night, LOL. Those are some buyer prices too I'm not parting ways with mine for those amounts combined.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

One of my friends ordered his 99 SS/M6 as a hard top stripper with cloth interior, no power seats or windows, no rear window defroster, ASR or cruise control, in essence nothing that he didn't need as he used the car in shrowroom stock SCCA events.

He'd have deleted the AC but they wouldn't sell it like that (it came out anyway). He put it back to stock a couple of years ago. The car currently has 140,xxx on it.

His old license plate read: OVER1G

Just check the driver side door jamb sticker for the WU8 code. If it has that then it's the real deal.
    You could also look for Y2K, which is an option on top of the SS that designates the car came with some factory SLP options.
    If so,,,,look at the passenger side door jamb sticker for a list of any SLP options.

And yes,,,,you can get cloth interior on the SS. My wifes 2000 SS has the grey cloth. Very hard to find as most were leather. We searched long and hard for one with cloth.

You get much more with the SS other than just a hood and spoiler. You also have springs, shocks, sway bars, wheels and tires etc... that are different. If you are lucky enough to have a Y2K SS with added SLP goodies you could have other nice things such as SS designated floor mats, SS deck mat, a cat back exhaust system, a lid, a nice SS car cover, SS portfolio goodies, or the very popular CME exhaust to name a few.
    I only remember these since both of our SS's came with this stuff,,,there is much more.

All of this would make it more of a collectable years down the road if you are into that. Performance is about the same as any other LS1 Fbody. Hope that helps.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Test drive? Get an insurance quote as stated above. I would go for the SS I like buying a totally stock car, thats just me. The SS has higher resale I think.

nbm
    2002 ws6

Smile auto or 6-speed manual

hello anyone and everyone-not sure I am doing this right as I am an old guy and pretty much computer illiterate and not sure how to post a question on this site. Anyway, Iam looking to buy a 2001 or 2002 SS pewter or sunset orange. Is the automatic or 6-speed the better tranny? I prefer the 6-speed but come across a lot more automatics. Your opinions are appreciated as I am not much of a motorhead but love muscle cars. Thanks donwil

You'll get differing opinions on that.

I personally don't care either way. I have one of each example and like them equally. Pros and cons go back and forth.

The 6 speed has a nice overdrive ratio for slightly better mileage. Other than that it has alot of weak points as well. The output shaft is the tiny 27 spline,,,same as what you find in a 4L60E or 350 turbo, or any of the lower HP trannies made throughout the 60's through the 80's.
    It also has weak shift forks, and some other cheaper parts inside. They will take moderate HP levels like cam and cylinder head upgrades but if you plan to pound on it expect transmission upgrades.
    The clutches aren't that great either and will need disc upgrades as well as hydraulic upgrades.

The 4L60E has it's drawbacks too. Their strength is questionable. It's hit or miss with alot of guys when power is added. The sun shells are one of the weak points. They too can be upgraded to hold a decent amount of power. Biggest drawback from a racing point of view is the steep 3.06 first gear and the large gap to second gear, causes alot of rpm drop.

Overall in my opinion, I wouldn't let the transmission decide which car you buy. I'd find the best overall 4th gen for the money spent and let the transmission fall where ever it may.

As you have found, more autos are out there to choose from which broadens the search, and gives a better chance of picking up a nice example. You also have to take into account the autos seem to live an easier life so you have a better chance of picking up a car with less problems.
    The 6speed cars lead a rough life in the hands of the younger crowd, and could have other problems like sincros, rearends etc...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You'll get differing opinions on that.

I personally don't care either way. I have one of each example and like them equally. Pros and cons go back and forth.

The 6 speed has a nice overdrive ratio for slightly better mileage. Other than that it has alot of weak points as well. The output shaft is the tiny 27 spline,,,same as what you find in a 4L60E or 350 turbo, or any of the lower HP trannies made throughout the 60's through the 80's.
    It also has weak shift forks, and some other cheaper parts inside. They will take moderate HP levels like cam and cylinder head upgrades but if you plan to pound on it expect transmission upgrades.
    The clutches aren't that great either and will need disc upgrades as well as hydraulic upgrades.

The 4L60E has it's drawbacks too. Their strength is questionable. It's hit or miss with alot of guys when power is added. The sun shells are one of the weak points. They too can be upgraded to hold a decent amount of power. Biggest drawback from a racing point of view is the steep 3.06 first gear and the large gap to second gear, causes alot of rpm drop.

Overall in my opinion, I wouldn't let the transmission decide which car you buy. I'd find the best overall 4th gen for the money spent and let the transmission fall where ever it may.

As you have found, more autos are out there to choose from which broadens the search, and gives a better chance of picking up a nice example. You also have to take into account the autos seem to live an easier life so you have a better chance of picking up a car with less problems.
    The 6speed cars lead a rough life in the hands of the younger crowd, and could have other problems like sincros, rearends etc...
    Well said Firebirdjones.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by donwil View Post
    hello anyone and everyone-not sure I am doing this right as I am an old guy and pretty much computer illiterate and not sure how to post a question on this site. Anyway, Iam looking to buy a 2001 or 2002 SS pewter or sunset orange. Is the automatic or 6-speed the better tranny? I prefer the 6-speed but come across a lot more automatics. Your opinions are appreciated as I am not much of a motorhead but love muscle cars. Thanks donwil
    Upper left hand corner above the black band on the forum front it sez "New Thread". Put your cursor (arrow) over that and left click the mouse. That's how you start a new thread.

Like Larry (Firebirdjones) I also have a 6-speed and an A4 car. I DD the 6-speed (better gas mileage) and race the auto (more consistant). I did have to rebuild/upgrade the A4 so it would live though.

All in all, if you just want a driver then pick the one you like the most.

Thread Information