Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

HELP: 2001 SS Engine Swap then NO A/C...........

Hello. I'll try to make this quick. I have a 2001 Camaro SS with 26,677 original miles. The engine self-destructed due to hydro-lock. Antifreeze was getting into the number 6 cylinder from above the Intake Valve. The SHTF at home at start-up, so the car only ran 2-3 seconds before I shut her down.

I had a new complete long block built at TMS in Nevada, TX., and paid a highly revered local Shop that only works on LS cars to do the engine swap. The swap was done the traditional way, with the car lifted up and off entire front end, engine, and transmission. When I got the car back I tested the air conditioning the next day, and the compressor would not turn on. I hooked up a gauge to the AC fill port and there was Zero PSI of refrigerant in the system. So my question is, during the engine swap is it typical for the Freon to be evacuated from the system, then refilled after the swap is finished? If that is the case, a step was obviously skipped. The air conditioning had been ice cold since I had the car, so I'm certain the Freon was full when I took the car to have the swap done. I need to have a little more information before I go back to the installer with my air conditioning problem. Thank you for any help you can provide.....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Normally they would evac the system and refill it.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Normally they would evac the system and refill it.
    Thank you for your reply.. If they evac the A/C system, it makes sense that they would have to disconnect a part of the sealed system at some point in the flow between the Compressor, Condenser, and Evaporator. This would let the Freon out into the atmosphere if not evac'd. Do you have any idea where the A/C system needs to be disconnected as part of the Engine Swap??

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

When I did mine I disconnect the lines from the compressor and carefully move the lines out of the way. I also pulled the condenser with the radiator and IIRC the dryer to ensure the ac stuff didn't get damage pulling it from the top.

If they did it by dropping the K Member then disconnecting it from the compressor is all that should have been done. They may have forgotten to fill the freon back up. They better hook up a vacuum to ensure no leaks and remove all moisture form the system prior to refilling.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Thank you Scott. That is exactly what I was looking for. Also, thanks for the tips in the last sentence,,,that is some great info to make sure they check out. Great!
    Last edited by NastySS; 01-25-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If the system has been open to air you want to have it vacuumed down for at least 30 minutes before recharging it. Hence, I would not simply try to charge it with a parts store AC kit.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If the system has been open to air you want to have it vacuumed down for at least 30 minutes before recharging it. Hence, I would not simply try to charge it with a parts store AC kit.
    Thank you Jeff, yes, at the end of my post I mentioned I plan to take it back to the Installer to have this omission rectified.

Thread Information