Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Headlights

This is a discussion on Headlights within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Can any of you guys tell me where to get a new set of headlights for a reasonable price? Mine ...

  1. #1
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Headlights

    Can any of you guys tell me where to get a new set of headlights for a reasonable price? Mine are fogged bad and I dont know if its worth paying someone to de-fog them. Anyone have any advice on this? THANKS

  2. #2
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    I believe a new set from GM is upwards of $300

    I would wetsand them first and see what that does for you before you invest in new ones. I have seen some great results from wetsanding on them. Start with a 400 grit and work your way up to 2000 grit. I bet you would be pleased with the results and thankful you didn't waste the money on new ones.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

  3. #3
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I believe a new set from GM is upwards of $300

    I would wetsand them first and see what that does for you before you invest in new ones. I have seen some great results from wetsanding on them. Start with a 400 grit and work your way up to 2000 grit. I bet you would be pleased with the results and thankful you didn't waste the money on new ones.
    So the plastic lenses come off to where I can get to the inside? thanks

  4. #4
    Impounded MikeSomething's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420

    Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

    Try "Meguire's Plast-X"...
    Worked great on my friend's car, we couldn't believe it as we applied it on the lenses...

  5. #5
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething View Post
    Try "Meguire's Plast-X"...
    Worked great on my friend's car, we couldn't believe it as we applied it on the lenses...
    From the inside though right?? Is it hard to get them apart? I havent even looked yet.
    Thanks

  6. #6
    Member Whiteboycntdnce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    190

    Black
    2000 / SS

    I saw in an older Camaro Perf. mag some guy had black housing headlights! If anyone knows where I can find those I'd love ya' forever...

  7. #7
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    So the plastic lenses come off to where I can get to the inside? thanks
    They will but it takes some patience. They have to be heated up so the adhesive will break free, but they do come apart.

  8. #8
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboycntdnce View Post
    I saw in an older Camaro Perf. mag some guy had black housing headlights! If anyone knows where I can find those I'd love ya' forever...
    I saw those on Ebay a while back but they arent there anymore cause I wanted those also.

  9. #9
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    I would try wet sanding the outside before you go taking them apart. My left headlight is in bad shape, but it is all on the outside.

  10. #10
    11's HERE I COME INIT2WIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    86

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28 A4

    headlights

    The hayzing you see on your headlights are usually on the outside. I recently took the hayze off of my headlights, Advance Auto sells a de-hazing kit for $20. It worked realy well on my car and is fairly straight foward.

  11. #11
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by INIT2WIN View Post
    The hayzing you see on your headlights are usually on the outside. I recently took the hayze off of my headlights, Advance Auto sells a de-hazing kit for $20. It worked realy well on my car and is fairly straight foward.
    Thanks- For some reason it just looks on the inside to me.

  12. #12
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    Thanks- For some reason it just looks on the inside to me.

    I wasn't understanding why you were wanting to take them apart, but the hazing is on the outside. You really shouldn't need to disassemble them, just wet sand them.

  13. #13
    Member Z28_SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    282

    Red
    98 SS Camaro

    just buy new lights, dont be cheap and treat your car. they are like 180 for the halo lights.

  14. #14
    Member Corey1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    231

    Black
    1998 Z/28

    mine looked like shit then i wetsanded with 1200 then 1600 then clearcoated them and they look pretty good. i mean u can get 1200 and 1500 sand paper for cheap and a can a rattle can clearcoat and do it all for less than $20 so if u dont like it, ur just out 20 bucks.

  15. #15
    Member Ripper415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NY
    Age
    32
    Posts
    378

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

    yea everyone here has the right idea. i saw a thread on either this or the ls1tech message board where some guy showed before and after pics of his headlight lenses when he wet sanded them (and i think afterwards he used some kinda plastic polish too) and it was amazing. they ended up looking better than when it was new from the factory.

  16. #16
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28_SS View Post
    just buy new lights, dont be cheap and treat your car. they are like 180 for the halo lights.
    Dude I would love to do just that but I injured my spine and cant work right now. I think I will try the wetsanding if that dont work then I will break down and get the new ones.

  17. #17
    UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omar's Tittie Taverna & Grill, Deh Rawod
    Posts
    1,447

    18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

    Old School

    Here's an old school solution that works. I was skeptical until I saw it in action. It yields amazing results. Try this before wet sanding.

    Toothpaste. Get some regular old toothpaste and a rag. rub toothpaste on and buff the shit out of your headlights. Then wipe clean with a damp cloth and voila. Clean headlights. Try this FREE solution first.

    Let us know how it turns out.

  18. #18
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    Here's an old school solution that works. I was skeptical until I saw it in action. It yields amazing results. Try this before wet sanding.

    Toothpaste. Get some regular old toothpaste and a rag. rub toothpaste on and buff the shit out of your headlights. Then wipe clean with a damp cloth and voila. Clean headlights. Try this FREE solution first.

    Let us know how it turns out.
    The toothpaste I use cost 7 bucks for a small tube(rembrant) so I got the Meguires plastic cleaner for headlights for 4. I am gonna try it first if that doesnt work good enough then I am gonna try the sandpaper. Thanks for the suggestion though. I have heard that toothpaste will get scratches out of your windshield from when a wiper falls apart and scratches it and if all else fails it works half decent on your teeth also. LOL J/K with ya!!!

  19. #19
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    The toothpaste I use cost 7 bucks for a small tube(rembrant) so I got the Meguires plastic cleaner for headlights for 4. I am gonna try it first if that doesnt work good enough then I am gonna try the sandpaper. Thanks for the suggestion though. I have heard that toothpaste will get scratches out of your windshield from when a wiper falls apart and scratches it and if all else fails it works half decent on your teeth also. LOL J/K with ya!!!
    The Meguiars product works very well. I have used it a few times and been pleased with the results. Don't expect miracles, but it does work.

  20. #20
    Aw shucks. bluefields88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    3,619

    Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

    I'll be wet sanding mine. they're getting pretty old looking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Headlights on a '94 Z28?
    By manarth5103 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 04:12 PM
  2. Gen 4 Headlights
    By CF Medley in forum General Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 05:28 AM
  3. Don't Flash Headlights At Any Car With No Headlights On!!
    By Danger731 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 01:56 PM
  4. Headlights
    By 99Ztwenty8 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 09:41 AM
  5. T/a Headlights...
    By 6sw00 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 05:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •