Black
    02 Z28

head rest DVD players

Let me start off by saying this, its for the kids!
    I'm not trying to pimp my ride, my kids have just never had a car without a DVD player in the back. My '05 Malibu Maxx has one, my old Denali had one, even the minivan we rolled back on the dealer had one, and that was an '01.
    I was wondering if anyone here has put a rear seat entertainment system into their F body. I found a pair of disney 7" TFT, but those hang on the seat. I think I'd rather install screens into the back of the seats.
    If anyone has had experiance with this please let me know, oh yeah, and I wouldn't mind hearing about some deals about saving $$$.
    Thanx.

White
    2001 Camaro SS & 2007 R6

Honestly, why would you want to waste money on something like that?

How old are your kids? and they must not be that big. I wouldnt think of putting someone in my back seat that is taller than 5'0".

I tell everyone that I know that I only have a 2 seater. Being 6'3" there is no way that I would get in the back seat of the Camaro, unless I was doing something else...

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by baseballguy View Post
    I tell everyone that I know that I only have a 2 seater. Being 6'3" there is no way that I would get in the back seat of the Camaro, unless I was doing something else...
    even then, i think the damn thing doesnt have enough room for anything good.

Black
    02 Z28

My kids are 2 and 3 yrs old. They got these really cool, comfortable looking car seats back there; 5 point harnesses, head rests (for sleeping), and best of all, they sit down into the buckets. Those cool car seats, plus the fact that I'm 5'5", and my wife is 4'11", means that if we go somewhere as a family, we usually take my car.
    Problem is the kids always fall asleep back there, something about the sound of that exhaust...
    Sometimes sleeping kids is not the best option, sometimes, the 3 yr old respectfully asks for t.v.
    I have two girls, I suspect they will be spoiled until the day I die.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Hmmm, if you were some young guy asking about them, I'd tell you to do your camaro a favor by selling to someone who will love it, and buy a ricer. but youve got a good situation.

My main thing against the technical aspect of it is that your like 6 inches from the screen in a camaro, but a 2 and 3 year old wont care, they just want their damn cartoons, and that can make driving tons easier.

Theres a user named knappbunch, hes into visual mods, im pretty sure he has screens in his car

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28

Handheld DVD players...
    http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72177.asp
    They could carry a TV with them everywhere...

Black
    02 Z28

that is really cool, thanks 02!
    only issue is its kinda pricey...especially cuz I gotta get two of em.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

I would say ignore everybody that is knockin this idea, go for it if thats what will entertain your kids. I'd love to drive kids around someday in the back of the camaro. Anyways, the Camaro doesn't really have a separate headrest. However, the Trans Am Seat does, so maybe some trans am seats are in order, you may be able to have some lcd screens installed into those..... Just my thoughts, goodluck, I'd love to see pics of this when its all done.

Black
    02 Z28

Trans Am buckets huh? sounds like an option, so long as they don't have any badging or stitching on em.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

No, they are direct bolt in and almost look like they belong. No badges or stitching, I Just did em in ebony black, love the seat, and like I said you actually have a head rest a good audio shop could install something into.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

i agree, if it'll please the kids do it. and the trans am seat sounds like a better idea, just because the top part of the camaro seat doesnt have a headrest, and its a pretty thin seat, might not fit anything into the camaro seat.

another idea might be mounting them in the ceiling of the car and having them flip down? might be a better cost than the trans am seats.

Black
    02 Z28

In the roof!
    yur smarte!
    I can't beleive I didn't think of that...
    I'll make a mock up with cardboard and see what that does to driver visibility, and to make sure it doesn't break the girls necks to watch.
    Thanks for the idea, new buckets would probably start @ $300 a piece, now I can devote that $ to quality flat panels...
    & mods

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I wouldn't put them in the roof. I would look on Ebay. Theres a seller on there that exports stuff from over seas and has REALLY low prices on headrest monitors. Maybe $200 for a pair of 7". I was looking at the 9" monitors. I think they were around 250ish, but they might not fit. I wouldn't go with the TA seats. I think the Camaro seats looks much better.

As far as DVD goes, I would get a carputer. Makes sense for me since I would have my music and movie library on it (250GB+). Don't know if you download movies or what not, be it Vongo or illegally.
    Last edited by squee; 06-05-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Black
    02 Z28

yeah, after testing the theory rof mounted screens aren't pheasable, the girls are just too close, they'd have to look almost straight up. I like what 02somz said, maybe something portable...get my kids ready for when cell phones, personal computers, and dvd players are all integrated into one unit.

Thread Information