Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

got time?

This is a discussion on got time? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Thats odd,,,my 97 Z is not a ramair car,,,has a factory flat fiberglass hood. My 02 SS which is of ...

Thats odd,,,my 97 Z is not a ramair car,,,has a factory flat fiberglass hood.
    My 02 SS which is of course ramair, also has fiberglass. Larry.

midnight blue
    2001 trans am ws6

Whats It Good For

if all of the above is true and people say that u dont need ram air or things like that then y would they even make performance packages?

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6ramair View Post
    if all of the above is true and people say that u dont need ram air or things like that then y would they even make performance packages?
    damn good question

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

So they can charge you more money.

Why does nascar use it? NHRA? IHRA? Because it makes a difference, plane and simple. It's common knowledge, cooler, denser outside air will make more power. It's printed everywhere you look, just do a google search on it,,,,every 10 degree drop in inlet air temperature is worth 1% increase in power.
    It can be as hot as 200 degrees or more under the hood, if the engine is sucking that air in,,,it kills power. Grabbing outside air, even if it's 95 degrees outside it's benificial. It has nothing to do with taking your money. Larry.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

because they are cooler looking and people say, oh there's an SS!
    and people who don't know shit about cars think my car's awesome because it has a hoodscoop.

LOL, thats the funniest thing I have heard. It's silly to even argue over it. Do you mean to tell me that all those million dollar engineers at nascar are wasting their time and don't know what they are doing? Common. Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Why does nascar use it? NHRA? IHRA? Because it makes a difference, plane and simple. It's common knowledge, cooler, denser outside air will make more power. It's printed everywhere you look, just do a google search on it,,,,every 10 degree drop in inlet air temperature is worth 1% increase in power.
    It can be as hot as 200 degrees or more under the hood, if the engine is sucking that air in,,,it kills power. Grabbing outside air, even if it's 95 degrees outside it's benificial. It has nothing to do with taking your money. Larry.
    I have seen the light

Thanks alot for the input Larry, I get what your saying. That would be a good power boost.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I know from owning a 97"SS", it was worth the performance package. My 97 SS came with a torsen diff, ta axle cover, ram air, bistein shocks, rear lower control arms, front sway bar, panhard bar, jounce bumper spacer, firmer bushings, ported stock exhaust manifolds, progressive rate springs, 17" ZR-1's with R1 competition series tires, performance stainless exhaust, hurst shifter, synthetic fluids, skip shift eliminator, transmission mount, and a couple more small things.
    Was it worth the extra money for the performance package? I don't know.
    Did it make it better performing car? Hell Yeah!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    How does having ram air make the car heavier? Do you mean the hood is heavier? Fiberglass hoods weigh less than the factory steel hood by about 10 or so pounds.
    the WS6 or the SS have leather seats, more spoilers and such which adds on weight.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

marketing, plain and simple.
    go on a dyno and get the numbers on a ram air car.
    now block off the holes to the ram air, youll dyno the same.
    now if they called it cold air induction, that would be right on the money.

dyno is one thing, but when your going 80 mph and your sucking in the cold air to feed your engine that would make a big difference.

I am going off what Larry said about the 10 degree difference in the incoming air yeilds 1% power... which is alot of power

black

so if its 10 degrees outside like it is right now, ill make 10% more power than on a day thats almost 100 degrees, its not happening without an intercooler.
    no way my car will make 37 more rwhp just because of a couple of holes in the hood.
    Last edited by nhraformula; 02-11-2007 at 06:27 PM.

black

LOL, thats the funniest thing I have heard. It's silly to even argue over it. Do you mean to tell me that all those million dollar engineers at nascar are wasting their time and don't know what they are doing? Common. Larry.
    race a stock Z/28 and a SS three times at the track, best driver is going to win, not whoever has holes in their hood.

black

Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post
    dyno is one thing, but when your going 80 mph and your sucking in the cold air to feed your engine that would make a big difference.

I am going off what Larry said about the 10 degree difference in the incoming air yeilds 1% power... which is alot of power
    how often a person doing 80mph?
    while cooler outside air is better, you wont see any difference in power outside of a few h.p compared to a non ram air.
    the systems on WS6 and SSs arent true ram air anyways, they are not sealed systems.

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    race a stock Z/28 and a SS three times at the track, best driver is going to win, not whoever has holes in their hood.
    i love how you call the "holes in your hood" your a mean old fart thats for sure...

Or your just stuberen one... You have to face the fact that a Ram air package would produce more HP period..

maybe your mad since you dont have one

i dont mean to bash you, i understand you know ALOT mor about cars ( F-body's) than i do but it seems to be obvious that Ram air would be a way to make a F-body faster

black

i love how you call the "holes in your hood" your a mean old fart thats for sure...

Or your just stuberen one... You have to face the fact that a Ram air package would produce more HP period..

maybe your mad since you dont have one

i dont mean to bash you, i understand you know ALOT mor about cars ( F-body's) than i do but it seems to be obvious that Ram air would be a way to make a F-body faster

im an old fart whos been tinkering with cars longer than you have been on the face of this earth. while ram air will give a few horsepower, its not going to make a car faster than a non ram air car, its been proven many times by peoples 1/4 times and e.t.
    all stock f-bodys run mid 13s, ram air or not. do some research,
    i do like the looks of the ram air hood though.

Larry! i need back up

black

Larry! i need back up

do research, no larry needed.
    even larry wont argue the fact all stock ls1 f-bodys run about the same times.

Wait, a forum is to learn? this is reasearch you old fart

It can be one-sided reasearch, but its learning..

I research every day about F-body's.... i know what times they run

Go under a rock and die

haha no hard feelings.... but you are a grumpy one it seems

.....Larryyyy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information