Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: got time?

got time?

The SS comes with the ram air hood right? and the Z28 comes with the "flat hood"

--Is it like a T/A with a ws6 ram air=ss and a T/A=z28?--

Also how much Hp does the SS have over the z28 and what are the differences?

Last one... how hard is it to convert a T/A to a T/A with ram air and a ram air hood.... same with camaros

i lied... SS vs Ws6= Z29 vs T/a or Formula=

^^ differences between those cars please

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

The SS & WS6 are the top performance package for the LS1 Camaro & Firebirds.

Despite the different factory ratings for each package, they are all essentially the same thing as far as HP. The main difference between the packages are appearance stuff and improved suspension/handling options.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

So what about the performance differences between a Z28 and a Firebird?

Also how hard is it to get a T/A or a Z28 to match up with a Ws6 or a SS?

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Buy a hood and deck lid. Here's the main thing tho, if you want an SS, buy an SS. Don't buy a Z, change the hood, decklid, and badges and call it an SS cause it's not. Don't try to sell it to anyone as an SS either, it's just wrong!

if you like the car get it. f everyone else

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post
    So what about the performance differences between a Z28 and a Firebird?

Also how hard is it to get a T/A or a Z28 to match up with a Ws6 or a SS?
    to be all truthfull, a normal z/28 or formula will be slightly faster because they are lighter than the SS and WS6
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Your saying a formual is faster than a WS6 or just a T/A... cause if the ws6 and ss have the ram air package... even if they weigh more shouldnt they be faster

black

Your saying a formual is faster than a WS6 or just a T/A... cause if the ws6 and ss have the ram air package... even if they weigh more shouldnt they be faster
    the ram air on both of those are generally useless.the 5 extra horsepower it makes is zeroed out because of the extra weight.
    it is a known fact that a stripper z/28 is the fastest f-body out there.

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    the ram air on both of those are generally useless.the 5 extra horsepower it makes is zeroed out because of the extra weight.
    Ive heard going a ram air conversion on a T/A yeilds 25 hp. It better not be 5 after geting a factory hood costing 1.1k or a carbon hood at 600$ then a ram air package and a paint job... 5 doesnt sound very accurate... i know the ws6 also have the suspension package, so they obviously handle better, not sure about the ss

black

Ive heard going a ram air conversion on a T/A yeilds 25 hp. It better not be 5 after geting a factory hood costing 1.1k or a carbon hood at 600$ then a ram air package and a paint job... 5 doesnt sound very accurate... i know the ws6 also have the suspension package, so they obviously handle better, not sure about the ss

yet again, another newb who thinks ram air is worth a shit.
    i dont know where you are getting youre information, but its wrong.
    Z/28S, SSs, WS6s, T/As and formulas all dyno about the same.
    before saying something doesnt sound accurate, use the search feature.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

WS6 suspension is such a little difference from the base one you won't even be able to tell if you drove both with the same tires. The tires are really what makes the WS6 handle better than the base T/A. IMO the stock suspension of both suck.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

it's not really "ram air", if you look at how the intakes of the F-bodies are, you can see that the air gets into the engine from a small gap under the lid. The SS hood just has some ducting with a small opening towards that small gap. The companies say they make 15 more HP, but I don't really see how that's possible. but they do look cool I wasn't aware that the fiberglass SS hood weighed more than the steel Z28 one tho?

Stripper z/28 the fastest F-body... is there something special about a "stripper" z/28 that makes it the "fastest F-body" ?

All the times will vary due to all kinds of conditions, so saying one is faster than the other is not truthfull.
    On a dyno you won't see the HP difference between ramair and non ramair,,,well simply because the car is not moving.
    It only becomes effective when the car is actually moving.

On a factory road test when the SS and WS6 cars were new,,,,they ran both a WS6 TA and an SS camaro back to back,,,and found the WS6 was slightly quicker. Both were 6 speeds and equipped pretty much identical.
    They chucked up the difference in ET and MPH to the design of the Ram Air systems. The WS6 has a direct inlet from the hood right to the air box,,,a straight shot.
    If you look at an SS,,,the air path is a maze on the hood,,,which not only makes the air turn 180 degrees at 2 different points,,,but most of the pathway is in the hood, which is heat soaked from engine heat and sunlight,,,,that doesn't help either.
    Although the hood has the coolness factor on the SS models, it's been shown that ram air system is not the most effective. Which is why cutting out the bottom of the air box to grab air in front of the radiator makes such a huge difference on the SS.
    A good ramair system will make a difference. I own several cars with factory ram air systems of some make, shape, or form, some work better than others, but at the track I have tinkered with them and found improvements. When you can pack cooler outside air into the engine they will always make more power, every 10 degree drop in inlet air temp is worth 1% power increase. It's worth playing with. Larry.

black

Stripper z/28 the fastest F-body... is there something special about a "stripper" z/28 that makes it the "fastest F-body" ?
    least amount of weight of all f-bodys

hey guys dont forget to mention the better flowing exhaust manifolds and the LS6 intake manifolds that came on the 02sNot sure about 01s

You are right, the 01 and 02's got the LS6 intake which helps, but the camshaft was smaller, they started putting the truck cams in the F-bodies, so the intake is somewhat of a tradeoff.

Not sure on the exhaust manifolds but they can't be too bad because I have seen a few 01 and 02 Fbodies squeak into the 12's still running manifolds with only a tune, slp lid, cat back, and a few other tricks.

Although none of this applies to the test I mentioned above, that was done when the LS1 was first introduced to the F body in 98. Larry.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

How does having ram air make the car heavier? Do you mean the hood is heavier? Fiberglass hoods weigh less than the factory steel hood by about 10 or so pounds.

It doesn't make it heavier, not sure where that came from. As far as steel verses fiberglass,,,,,every 4th gen Fbody I have ever owned has had fiberglass hoods whether it was a ramair car or not. I have never seen one with a steel hood.

As a matter of fact,,,everything on the car is fiberglass except for the quarter panels. Larry.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It doesn't make it heavier, not sure where that came from. As far as steel verses fiberglass,,,,,every 4th gen Fbody I have ever owned has had fiberglass hoods whether it was a ramair car or not. I have never seen one with a steel hood.

As a matter of fact,,,everything on the car is fiberglass except for the quarter panels. Larry.
    My 98 Z has a STEEL HOOD.

Thread Information