Got my car tuned...need help!!!

This is a discussion on Got my car tuned...need help!!! within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Sent my PCM out to Frost. When I got it back I threw it in. And let the car idle ...

Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28

Got my car tuned...need help!!!

Sent my PCM out to Frost. When I got it back I threw it in. And let the car idle for a while. I took the car for a quick spin, noticed no problems. Later I went by my friends work revved up the motor and heard what seemed like a loud screeching noise from under the hood. Got out and looked and didn't see anything wrong. Happens only at 3000+ rpm's. Sitting at the light and I heard a rattle, gave it a little gas and it went away. Took the car home and let it sit. After it cooled down I checked all the fluids and let the car idle. I then revved it up and did not here the noise. The next day the noise was back. Doesn't seem as loud but it is defanitely there. One person said that it sounded as a pulley, but it seems to be coming from the passnger side. One mech says not to worry about it, that the noise could be from the increased timing. The only oher thing I think it can be is I dropped a torx bit down there. I wonder if it could be rattling at certain rpm's. Car runs great, I don't feel anything in the motor while driving. Hard to really say what it sounds like, but it seems that at 3000 rpms that it rattles inside but as soon as you let of the gas it goes away. Was driving fine when I took the computer out and let it sit for a week. Really can't take much more. Last thing I need is a blown motor. Supposedly the motor was just put in. The motor is supposed to have about 80,000 miles on it.
    1998 Z28: SLP Ram Air, SLP Loud Mouth 2 Exhasut, P&P Throttle Body, Tuned By Frost, KYB Adjustable Shocks and Struts, Eibach Sway Bar, EGR/AIR Delete

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

you need to find that bit you dropped...i'd start there and make sure it isnt wedged between a pulley and some metal or anything else for that matter. It sounds like a pulley to me if its squeeling or "screeching". Can you replicate it when the car is in neutral with the engine running by popping the throttle with the hood open? If you are sitting right over the engine and pop the throttle with your hand you might be able to locate the exact spot its coming from and go from there.

Can you explain the rattle noise a little more...? What does it sound like and do you think its coming from the motor or something else?

Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28

I can. It doesn't sound to be coming from the front. When I am driving I don't here it. Its just wierd that it only happens at 3K+ RPM's. Its like a rattle. One mechanic said it sounded like something wanted to get out. Oil is good, pressure is good. Going to work on replacing the PS Pressure hose. While I have the belt off. I'll start the car. And verify that it is not one of the pulleys.

Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28

Its like a loud rattle. Almost like something is shaking. Coming from the middle of the passenger side of the motor.

Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28

No rattle or knocking at idle or start up. It's really wierd. Leaving for college in a few weeks, last thing i need is motor to blow.

Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28

So thinking that it is narrowed down to the AC Compressor. THe parts on the front seem to be rattling. Turn the ac off and you barely hear the noise. Did find the torx bit that I dropped.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If it is an A4, I would be checking the flex plate at the back of the motor. Wouldn't be the first time a bolt has backed out, especially after a swap.

Primer
    1964 ChevyII Nova

i was going to pitch in flywheel/flexplate as well! Flexplates will screech before croaking..and a loose flywheel bolt, or dying dual-mass flywheel will sound like a rod knock..either way, it makes you anxious!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Might be the idler pulley or assembly...

Primer
    1964 ChevyII Nova

Did you figure out what it was ?

Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28

Nope...I was told it might be the AC. Then again I guess it could be a exhaust leak. Car runs great. Actually ran a 13.3@105 the other day

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyZ76 View Post
    Nope...I was told it might be the AC. Then again I guess it could be a exhaust leak. Car runs great. Actually ran a 13.3@105 the other day
    You can usually see black marks on the heads if its an exhaust leak at the header.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28

Sounds good. Thank you. When I am in the car I do not hear it. Been this long I don't thing it is anything to really worry about

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyZ76 View Post
    Sounds good. Thank you. When I am in the car I do not hear it. Been this long I don't thing it is anything to really worry about
    its probably not anything to worry about "well hopefully not" lol Mine decided to start squeaking last week for some reason but it was also like 15 degrees outside...hasnt done it since then tho.

Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28

I hate hearing new little noises. Makes me freak out, lol

Thread Information