Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

good sleeper mods

This is a discussion on good sleeper mods within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; oh and i've heard of people havin problems with maf sensors... is that true?...

black
    2001 Camaro SS

oh and i've heard of people havin problems with maf sensors... is that true?

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

you may as well not mod. it all voids the warranty. literally.

MAF mod is not worth it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    SLP also over rates the shit outta their products
    How do you know? Why does everyone say this?

I read a series of articles in High Performance Pontiac, they tested the SLP performance packs, and came within 3hp of the SLP claims.

When asked, SLP said the claims were for LS6 intake-equiped '01-'02 cars. When HPP added a LS6 manifold to the '00 T/A they were testing, they actually exceeded all of SLP's numbers. IIRC they got 17rwhp just from the intake.

I thought SLP was always at the forefront of modding our cars, why is everyone so down on them? Besides thier pricing, that is. You'd think those headers were made out of gold for what they charge for them!

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post

I read a series of articles in High Performance Pontiac, they tested the SLP performance packs, and came within 3hp of the SLP claims.

When asked, SLP said the claims were for LS6 intake-equiped '01-'02 cars. When HPP added a LS6 manifold to the '00 T/A they were testing, they actually exceeded all of SLP's numbers. IIRC they got 17rwhp just from the intake.

I thought SLP was always at the forefront of modding our cars, why is everyone so down on them? Besides thier pricing, that is. You'd think those headers were made out of gold for what they charge for them!
    everyone says it because its true, and been proven time and time again. looking at their designs plus their price in comparison to other companies is enough to believe they are screwing people.

its not a question of if their products work, because obviously they do. but time and time again less expensive products made with the same materials have produced the same, if not more power and are usually cheaper.

slp is the forefront because they pay big money to be this way. its all in the advertising. one must simply glance at their long tube header design and the price of them to see why they are so ovverated.

why is it that their cold air intake is so much more expensive than other offerings, yet probably produces the least amount of gains in comparison to say...volant or fast toys? because ill informed people read that they were the best.

im not knocking you, but take a look at what youre reading. gmhtp and hpp are paid by these companies to advertise and use their products.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post

I never understood why so many harp on SLP either. I guess mainly because alot of the people here are kids that don't have that kind of money to spend.
    Most complain of ground clearance on SLP headers too,,,but most also have there cars lowered to within an inch of there life too,,,so the complaint is moot in my opinion.

I believe the SLP headers are one of the few if not the only headers on the market that are "tuned" length" so that is some of the price you are paying for and probably the reason they are tough to fit and are closer to the ground,,,pretty self explainatory if you ask me. Most of the other manufactures only sell what I call "standard" headers with unequal length tubes, they can package them much tighter this way and makes for a better fit. Doesn't mean SLP headers are junk or terrible,,,it's the equal verses unequal length tubes that makes a difference in design.

Most are quick to harp on SLP and I agree that some of there stuff is pricey too,,,,but none of us should forget that if it wasn't for SLP we wouldn't have some of these cool cars like the SS camaro and many other neat cars they have come out with since the 80's. Most of these cars are low production and many of them are fetching pretty hefty prices now.
    SLP is the modern version of the very famous places like Baldwin Motion, Yenko, Nickey, (to name a few) of years before,,,,and we all know what kind of prices these cars are grabbing.
    I view SLP as being very much like this in a modern sort of way while complying to the dreadfull EPA,,,,,which is what put alot of the others I mentioned out of business. We should be happy SLP is still here. Hopefully they will come out with some more cool cars if GM ever gets off their ass and makes something worthy. Larry.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I never understood why so many harp on SLP either. I guess mainly because alot of the people here are kids that don't have that kind of money to spend.
    Most complain of ground clearance on SLP headers too,,,but most also have there cars lowered to within an inch of there life too,,,so the complaint is moot in my opinion.

I believe the SLP headers are one of the few if not the only headers on the market that are "tuned" length" so that is some of the price you are paying for and probably the reason they are tough to fit and are closer to the ground,,,pretty self explainatory if you ask me. Most of the other manufactures only sell what I call "standard" headers with unequal length tubes, they can package them much tighter this way and makes for a better fit. Doesn't mean SLP headers are junk or terrible,,,it's the equal verses unequal length tubes that makes a difference in design.

Most are quick to harp on SLP and I agree that some of there stuff is pricey too,,,,but none of us should forget that if it wasn't for SLP we wouldn't have some of these cool cars like the SS camaro and many other neat cars they have come out with since the 80's. Most of these cars are low production and many of them are fetching pretty hefty prices now.
    SLP is the modern version of the very famous places like Baldwin Motion, Yenko, Nickey, (to name a few) of years before,,,,and we all know what kind of prices these cars are grabbing.
    I view SLP as being very much like this in a modern sort of way while complying to the dreadfull EPA,,,,,which is what put alot of the others I mentioned out of business. We should be happy SLP is still here. Hopefully they will come out with some more cool cars if GM ever gets off their ass and makes something worthy. Larry.
    now if we could just get Yenko on board for '09.....

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    now if we could just get Yenko on board for '09.....
    That would be very cool. I miss those days.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by chevyss1234 View Post
    Hey I started this thread a real long time ago and instead of bolt-ons i bought a warranty (i just started college i'd rather have the peace of mind.) if i did lt headers, cat back (magnaflow or borla) smooth lid, pulleys, maybe an MAF sensor, what would that put me at. i dont care if it's a "sleeper" any more i realized that's kinda retarded. What i'm lookin to do is not void my warranty. I was wonderin if any of yall know which of these parts may void a bumper to bumper gm warranty. also with all this stuff do i need a new cat-converter or could i keep the same one? any other "safe" mods ya'll can think of would be great... thanks
    I don't know about the GM warranty, but DON'T MOD OR YOUR AFTER MARKET WARRANTY WILL BE VOID!!!! I bought my car from a dealership. It was inspected by the dealership, and they gave an after market warranty with it. A few months pass and my tranny dies. The warranty company send an adjuster to the repair shop. He inspects and takes pictures of the car and tranny. He comes back two days later and inspects some more. He tells the repair shop the car has been modded so the warranty is void. The mod at the time was a loudmouth cat back installed by the previous owner! I start bitching to the inspector, the warranty company, the dealership and the BBB. The only thing I got was the shaft.

Sorry, rant mode off...

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

3500 tc,gears, intake,p&p intake..the rest is on you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information