Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Good deal on 2002 Z28??

I am looking at buying a 2002 Z28 and wanted to see waht the general opinion was on the price. I have negotiated down to $8250.

2002 Z28 Silver
    A4, 70,000 miles
    T-Tops
    All power
    Leather, power driver seat
    Sport Appearance Package
    Cd Player and CD Changer
    Stock chrome wheels, new tires

Issues:

Roof is bubbling due to the adhesion problem
    front headlights are hazed over but not a big deal to fix
    the passenger side rocker ground effect will need to be painted
    the front drivers side ground effect needs painting
    Passenger side motor needs to be replaced
    Driver seat is worn but not torn

Carfax says no wrecks and this car has been very well maintained by the local chevy dealer as all of the maintenance is documented in the carfx report. The car also has absolutely no modifications.

Interested in all opinions. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by UATahoe; 03-18-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

That sounds like a good price to go with for that car. KBB lists it at $8,330 in fair condition.

Black
    1999 Z-28 LS1

Sounds like a good deal, even with the issues you described, those are easy fixes. As far as the carfax, I dont believe in that, nor do I do one on anything I buy anymore. Carfax will only give you the information it OBTAINS from people/shops that report to it. I bought a used 2005 Hemi Ram and did the carfax on it, and came up clean. I got rearended, and needed the bumper replaced. The bodyshop I took it to, advised me that the truck had frame damage to it, and that it was fixed, but still noticable. If I were to do another carfax, it would be to see where the car had been registered. i think its a waste of money, and has to many people suckered into it. Thats my .02
    1999 Camaro Z-28 LS1 M6
    Cam, Heads, Exhaust

2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Actually agree with you on the carfax deal. I generally do it to see where the car has been registered so i have an idea of where the miles were put on at. I dont really have any faith in it other than for that.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Sounds like a good deal on a low mileage car. A few easy fixes and you'll have a nice ride.
    I also would consider carfax to be of little value. A stack of paper service records with the vin are much more convincing for maintenance records.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

EVIL-LS1 on here is selling his bright red 2002 Z28 (A4 t-tops) w/ 49k miles for payoff... think he said it was a hair over $9k. So if you think that's a good deal, you can always contact him. He's a local around my parts, it's a nice car, leather, lid, loudmouth, ORY

1999 F-150

decent deal, but could go a bit lower imo

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Nolar.Bear41 View Post
    decent deal, but could go a bit lower imo
    Is it just me, or are LS1 fbodys going for great prices in Texas recently? Seems like that's where the deals are, from what I've seen on here, tech, and ebay

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by UATahoe View Post
    I am looking at buying a 2002 Z28 and wanted to see waht the general opinion was on the price. I have negotiated down to $8250.

2002 Z28 Silver
    A4, 70,000 miles
    T-Tops
    All power
    Leather, power driver seat
    Sport Appearance Package
    Cd Player and CD Changer
    Stock chrome wheels, new tires

Issues:

Roof is bubbling due to the adhesion problem
    front headlights are hazed over but not a big deal to fix
    the passenger side rocker ground effect will need to be painted
    the front drivers side ground effect needs painting
    Passenger side motor needs to be replaced
    Driver seat is worn but not torn

Carfax says no wrecks and this car has been very well maintained by the local chevy dealer as all of the maintenance is documented in the carfx report. The car also has absolutely no modifications.

Interested in all opinions. Thanks for the help!
    Get that transmission looked at. Cars where I live that are Camaros z28's thier transmissions tend to die out at 75,000 miles deffinatly before 100,000 miles. If other items are broken in that car like the door motor etc. I bet the idiot was kittens around in there and kittened up some other kitties!

Another note how are the cats where they replaced? or how about the utter disintigration of my kitten O2 sensors when they changed the cats out I guess what you can count on that kitten error code that I got with my car...kitty cats hid the problem....

It would cost you more money to repair the seat then to buy a new one.
    Depending on the quality of paint your looking at 500 dollars for a good paint job(minus the roof). A place where the clearcoat costs $130 for 24oz like my shop. If the roof is bubbling the hood, spoiler, bumber is going to start bubbling too.
    Your looking at 3,000 dollars for an excellent paint job.

And kitty cat GM wiring that kitteh is horrible, you can totally think about the kitty buttons and heat control going dark on you once you pop 100,000 or use the kitty cat heat in the winter. They dash and buttons get hot to the touch with the heat on.
    Last edited by 0rion; 03-20-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Sounds like a good deal on a low mileage car. A few easy fixes and you'll have a nice ride.
    I also would consider carfax to be of little value. A stack of paper service records with the vin are much more convincing for maintenance records.
    I dont think little. I had to put $600 into my car because of the cat problem and if his transmission goes at 85,000 miles like mine did and a few of my other friends did thats atleast 3,000 dollars.

Paint suspect and bubbling areas $3,000 max.
    Few hours on body time at around $35 an hour. 35*6= $210 + parts needed.

Do possible fixes in future
    $3000 paint + body time
    $3000 transmission
    $700 cats(unless covered by gm)
    $350 for door parts
    $300 for seat
    $1000 dollars for intake manifold or gasket ($-600) that is known to be bad.
    Yea not a good deal.

My Camaro and I have a love hate relationship.
    Last edited by Hot head; 03-20-2011 at 09:33 AM.

1999 F-150

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Is it just me, or are LS1 fbodys going for great prices in Texas recently? Seems like that's where the deals are, from what I've seen on here, tech, and ebay
    it's true, you can get them for dirt cheap down here. tons of z28s with<80k miles going for under $7500 down here

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Hot head View Post
    I dont think little. I had to put $600 into my car because of the cat problem and if his transmission goes at 85,000 miles like mine did and a few of my other friends did thats atleast 3,000 dollars.

Paint suspect and bubbling areas $3,000 max.
    Few hours on body time at around $35 an hour. 35*6= $210 + parts needed.

Do possible fixes in future
    $3000 paint + body time
    $3000 transmission
    $700 cats(unless covered by gm)
    $350 for door parts
    $300 for seat
    $1000 dollars for intake manifold or gasket ($-600) that is known to be bad.
    Yea not a good deal.

My Camaro and I have a love hate relationship.
    Sounds like parts are extrememly high in your neck of the woods.
    My trans cost 1600 pulled, rebuilt, and reinstalled.
    Intake manifolds are less than 200 in junkyards.
    Felpro gasket set for the entire LS1 is 200 from autozone.
    Window motors are easy to find for less than 50 and can be had for 30 if you search for a while. Every switch in the door is less than 100 combined.
    These cars are not that expensive to repair if you do most of the work yourself. Too bad about your bad luck with the car.
    I have 2 Z28s. One has had no problems since new. The other (bought new also) has needed trans rebuild, hvac head unit, both window motors, lock and window switches, wheels corroding, cats and probably a few things im forgetting.
    To me that car the op posted sounds like a good deal. A diamond in the rough maybe, but it will shine if you polish it.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Sounds like parts are extrememly high in your neck of the woods.
    My trans cost 1600 pulled, rebuilt, and reinstalled.
    Intake manifolds are less than 200 in junkyards.
    Felpro gasket set for the entire LS1 is 200 from autozone.
    Window motors are easy to find for less than 50 and can be had for 30 if you search for a while. Every switch in the door is less than 100 combined.
    These cars are not that expensive to repair if you do most of the work yourself. Too bad about your bad luck with the car.
    I have 2 Z28s. One has had no problems since new. The other (bought new also) has needed trans rebuild, hvac head unit, both window motors, lock and window switches, wheels corroding, cats and probably a few things im forgetting.
    To me that car the op posted sounds like a good deal. A diamond in the rough maybe, but it will shine if you polish it.
    These cars are expensive maintenence.

When something goes I always replace it with performance parts. I was giving a ballpark answer to some of his items. Also, I wouldn't feel right about putting junk yard parts in this car maybe if it was a pos honda or buick I would go for it.

Regarding the paint job that is dead on.
    Last edited by Hot head; 03-20-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

These cars are expensive maintenence.

When something goes I always replace it with performance parts. I was giving a ballpark answer to some of his items. Also, I wouldn't feel right about putting junk yard parts in this car maybe if it was a pos honda or buick I would go for it.

Regarding the paint job that is dead on.
    Expensive to you. Cheap to me. Its all subjective.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Expensive to you. Cheap to me. Its all subjective.
    Well I am only 22 only making 45,000 a year. I only have one income and a house and bills etc. Almost have house payed off though
    Last edited by Hot head; 03-20-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Well I am only 22 only making 45,000 a year. I only have one income and a house and bills etc. Almost have house payed off though
    You make more money than I do. no house or car payments at least. Not much of a job either in recent time. The economy has forced me and many of my friends to become thrifty and resourceful. Like turning lead into gold i guess.

Pewter
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by oharam View Post
    Sounds like a good deal, even with the issues you described, those are easy fixes. As far as the carfax, I dont believe in that, nor do I do one on anything I buy anymore. Carfax will only give you the information it OBTAINS from people/shops that report to it. I bought a used 2005 Hemi Ram and did the carfax on it, and came up clean. I got rearended, and needed the bumper replaced. The bodyshop I took it to, advised me that the truck had frame damage to it, and that it was fixed, but still noticable. If I were to do another carfax, it would be to see where the car had been registered. i think its a waste of money, and has to many people suckered into it. Thats my .02
    I agree 100% people are too stupid to realize that carfax is simply a waste of money. All it is is just a report of what mechanics and shops have made over time about the cars history. Doesn't mean everything or anything at all was reported. It is a total waste of money, and to the OP I can sell u a camaro with NONE of those problems and I guarantee it runs / looks way nicer than the camaro your looking at. for only $4000 obo. has a little more miles on it, but a well maintained car can outbeat any car with slightly less miles on it.

P.S. I love these commercials u see on TV now with "Show me the carfax" LOL!! ok than not only are you spending an extra $100 some dollars or whatever it costs to review the carfax, but your possibly buying a pos that looks nice without seeing the car underneath. I've seen a handful of buckets at dealers that you would think are "ok" but really arent. Its basically an unintentional scam until the dealership has the mechanics put the car up in the air, take a look at it, point out various frame bends and rust spots, leaks etc... and does nothing about it but stick it back out on the lot for $20,000 lmao.
    Last edited by DVrec21; 03-20-2011 at 03:11 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Get that transmission looked at. Cars where I live that are Camaros z28's thier transmissions tend to die out at 75,000 miles deffinatly before 100,000 miles. If other items are broken in that car like the door motor etc. I bet the idiot was kittens around in there and kittened up some other kitties!

Another note how are the cats where they replaced? or how about the utter disintigration of my kitten O2 sensors when they changed the cats out I guess what you can count on that kitten error code that I got with my car...kitty cats hid the problem....

It would cost you more money to repair the seat then to buy a new one.
    Depending on the quality of paint your looking at 500 dollars for a good paint job(minus the roof). A place where the clearcoat costs $130 for 24oz like my shop. If the roof is bubbling the hood, spoiler, bumber is going to start bubbling too.
    Your looking at 3,000 dollars for an excellent paint job.

And kitty cat GM wiring that kitteh is horrible, you can totally think about the kitty buttons and heat control going dark on you once you pop 100,000 or use the kitty cat heat in the winter. They dash and buttons get hot to the touch with the heat on.
    little overboard on the language there.....I fixed it.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

Ray Charles blue

No, its not.

Quote Originally Posted by oharam View Post
    +11111

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Kitty kitty kitty mother smurfin kitty mother smurfer..................KITTY!

Thread Information