Midnight Blue

Is This a Good Deal?

I've always wanted an LS1 camaro, especially a black 6 speed. Well I found one, it's an ex undercover police car, and it's a black 6 speed just like I wanted. It's got 125,000 miles on it, and it's not in PERFECT shape, but I talked him down to 6 grand cause it's got a broke seat, an alternator problem, and a couple small things like the door locks on one side dont work. Thing is I'd rather have a dirt cheap car I can fix up, cause I wanna redo it all anyways. So is this a decent deal? I haven't seen an LS1 this cheap ever!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I wouldn't buy it...you can find a lot better for not much more money. Ex-police car with 125k and comes with a "alternator problem" along with stuff that doesn't work....wouldn't take it if you gave it to me If I was you i'd check the for sale section here, and then browse autotrader.com for hours....do a nation wide search there if you have to. Good luck

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

not a good deal, it has alot of miles and it sounds like it will nickel and dime ya to the poor house. sounds like it was well abused. try checking out www.cars.com

Midnight Blue

Well basically all the lights in the car pulsate and go bright and go dim, go bright, then go dim. And they do that at like all times. So hopefully that's the alternator.... But he's gonna have that checked out.
    Other than that the cars not that bad. You guys think it would be decent if I could talk down to the 5500$ range? I'm only 20 and really can't afford much more than 6 grand, plus, I wanna keep my '88 cause I have so much into it.

Black
    2001 Z28

My 2001 Z28 with 67,000 miles does that soame thing with the light and I have heard of it being a common problem. A guy I know went and got a new Optima battery and a new Napa alternator and said his are fine now. No more problems.

In my opinion, if you are 20 and on a budget, go for it. But check your insurance rates first. I was going to buy a Z28 when I was 19 and the monthly insurance was going to be higher than the car payment. So I waited. And I did not have a bad record. 1 ticket, no accidents. Just something to think about.

From what I understand, most police departments keep records on their fleet of cars and file them individually per car. They fix and repair until the cost of repairs get to a certain point and then they sell. Car may be low mileage, or could be high mileage. Apparently they dont want to fix this car anymore. If you have the spare change, and the knowledge to do it yourself, then enjoy!!

05 Wrangler

That's a nice lookin 3rd gen killerbeez...why not just put the 6k into her? You really sound like you're set on trying to get this ls1...btw what year ls1 is it? If you want it then buy it....but i'd look around to try and find a better deal first.

Midnight Blue

Yeah check out my thirdgen at cardomain. ID= kbeez
    I don't really wanna put 6k more into my thirdgen since I've done as much as I want to do to it besides a motor swap, plus I want a stick, and I wanna try and get a 1st, 3rd, and 4th gen fbody!!!
    Well I talked to the guy down to $5750, so I'm gonna try and get it. Just gotta talk to the bank!

LPM, & Blk
    2001 Z/28, 2010 2LT/RS

Ex=cop car w/ 12k you can find a better one

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Id say drive it around, dont mod it or anything untill you rebuild the motor and maybe even the tranny. Or atleast have it looked at. 125k miles is alot of miles on an LS1

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

do what ever makes you happy, you only live once, you could die tomorrow and wish you had been able to drive that mighty LS1
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Midnight Blue

Well there's only 45k on the tranny and clutch. it was replaced at 80k. And btw, I got the car. It's tought to find a black 6 speed I can afford. I'll do some bolt ons, maybe headers, cam, and exhaust, and intake, and then rebuild the motor later.
    But yeah, I love the car, it's freakin awesome. Runs great

05 Wrangler

Right on...congrats man!!

IS THAT YOU IN MY MIRROR itsyasoldier's Avatar

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

I would look around. I bought my one owner, garaged kept, mint condition w/ only 40,000 miles, fully loaded 2000 camaro ss for only 13,000. But I know that it isnt always easy to just go to the bank and borrow that kind of money so you got to do what you have to work with. Good Luck on getting an LS1.

Thread Information