Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gas mileage

This is a discussion on Gas mileage within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Okay I'll definetly do that. A friend told me you almost never need to change the spark plugs on camaros. ...

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Okay I'll definetly do that. A friend told me you almost never need to change the spark plugs on camaros. Why would he say that? And I got a whole haynes manual on the camaro. That would be enough to change the spark plugs? Sorry tryin to learn this mechanic stuff on my own.

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

Quote Originally Posted by 1972_Z-28 View Post
    This site is useful for finding stock gas mileage.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm
    thats a bunch of bs my maro gets 24 mpg and up on the high way thats doin 70-80 but that site said it bests only 20

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Okay I'll definetly do that. A friend told me you almost never need to change the spark plugs on camaros. Why would he say that? And I got a whole haynes manual on the camaro. That would be enough to change the spark plugs? Sorry tryin to learn this mechanic stuff on my own.
    he would say that bc its a bitch to do it lol

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Is it really THAT hard to change them?

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

Why are the wires more expensive then the plugs? And should I change both?
    has to do with the metal they use to send the juice or so they say

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

it is a bit.......sporting

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I used the guide from installuniversity.com which made it so much simpler. At least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Normally I get about 15mpg in the city. I found that if I drive and accelerate reeeeaaaaalllllyyyy sloooooooow I can get almost 20 in the city but doing that is boring was hell. This is in the 98 with an M6.

Don't even ask about the 02. I drive it like I stole it all the time.
    You have peaked my interest. Since I am moving to Arizona soon, but you are down in the valley. I'm moving up to Prescott,,,about 5,300 feet up.

Are all the stations out there 10% ethanol mix??? I haven't yet found any that weren't.

Your MPG is alot worse than mine, and I'm curious how the climate, altitude, and crappy gas is going to affect mine when I finally move there.

I'm thinking 2-3 mpg at most, but I would have to drop 5-7 mpg to match your car. Interested to see how much change I do experience...

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

People are getting 20mpg CITY in their LS1? Wtf

People are getting 20mpg CITY in their LS1? Wtf
    Yep, I find it rather easy in both my 6speed and automatic LS1. Even my wifes old LT1 6speed would get 20-21 in the city with 100,000 miles on it.

I find it rather easy to do, without really trying at all. I know there are many others but I actually find it surprising to find so many that don't.

But as I said, I believe there are many other variables that I have mentioned to take into account.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Well I live in CA and isnt it sea level and not above?

Well I live in CA and isnt it sea level and not above?
    Ya you should be very near sea level at Long Beach. My inlaws live in Sacramento,,,about 2 hours inland and they are still only 50 feet above,,,,lol.

California doesn't have the best gas though, only 91 octane and all the stations I stopped at had 10% ethanol mix, which doesn't help either.

Arizona is the same way,,,which I will be moving to soon. I'm willing to bet I'll loose some gas mileage out there.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Why are the wires more expensive then the plugs? And should I change both?
    you don't have too, but its one of those piece of mind while you're there things. I didn't because i changed mine at about 92k or so miles. I'm almost positive my car is all original and the owner original and 1st owner never did a thing.

this is just my cheap, hah, very cheap, dumb opinion, but i don't buy fancy plugs and wires. I have auto lite plugs and wires. I think the wire set ran about 33 bucks or something at a parts store. I have heard way to many opinions on plugs and wires, so i just go against the grain to be difficult, lol...

I have a 99 and thought it was missing as your dad thought. then someone explained that was normal and that funny sewing machine kind of noise.

i don't do too much city driving and only pull about 26 miles day, with about 22 of that high way. I avg about 20 mpg with an A4 3:23 rear and thats running 60-65 mph.

I wonder if your rear gear is still the same? what is your RPM at say 65? I know mine is like 1900ish.

the only plug that kicked my butt was rear passenger. I was literally kneeling in the engine bay. Every nut and bolt on my car is frozen, rusted, and ceased on with ten years of anger. I had to use a break bar to get that plug out.

I would agree with that ethanol idea. That was one of the things i heard about cars that run an 85 blend. it may be dirt cheap but your MPGs suck.

good luck, enjoy the ride, I hope you get the MPGs up.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

well, lets just say that last passenger side will test your patience. Like I mentioned i was in the engine with a breaker bar. I think it will definitely depend on how the plugs are in, with anti cease or not.

i forget which guide i used, possible a little bit of every one's.

i removed the coil packs and as much of the AIR and EGR stuff as I could on that side. I almost took the oil dipstick off. but thats only because i need all the room i could get for better leverage. I also dug through my tools for just the right combo of socket and wrench. I think I used a spark plug socket with a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter and 1/2 ratchet. I only did that because the adapter gave me just that right amount of extension away from the block and a big enough ratchet to get my breaker pipe over the handle in there.

good luck, make sure to buy the parts you like and that you think will last a long time, because I sure didn't want to do the plugs twice. Hence the change the wires while your there and already in deep.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You have peaked my interest. Since I am moving to Arizona soon, but you are down in the valley. I'm moving up to Prescott,,,about 5,300 feet up.

Are all the stations out there 10% ethanol mix??? I haven't yet found any that weren't.

Your MPG is alot worse than mine, and I'm curious how the climate, altitude, and crappy gas is going to affect mine when I finally move there.

I'm thinking 2-3 mpg at most, but I would have to drop 5-7 mpg to match your car. Interested to see how much change I do experience...
    AFAIK, all the gas sold here is 10% Ethanol blend and has been for as long as I can remember. We get the same gas as Cali. It's made in Texas and pumped to Cali. Az taps that line.

If my gas mileage seems worse it's no doubt due to the fact that all my driving is stop and go type in the city. I've only had the 98 for 2 months and, although it's an M6, I've yet to drive the car very far on the freeway. I'm sure it would go way up if I drove on the freeway for any extended period of time.

For example, my 2002 w/A4 gets about 12~13 in the city due to driving style and gears. On the hiway at a steady 75 mpg (~2800 rpm) I get better than 27 mpg (29 mpg is the best I'v achieved at 65mph). I'm sure the combined mpg in the 98 would increase significantly if I were to drive it any distance on the hiway.

Can't wait for spring... GraigZ28's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Z28 M6 40,000 Miles

I will second that...

Quote Originally Posted by txz28 View Post
    thats a bunch of bs my maro gets 24 mpg and up on the high way thats doin 70-80 but that site said it bests only 20
    Just took mine for a road trip, 337 miles averaging 70 to 75 MPH and pulled 26.8 MPG. I did try some "extreme driving", coasting down hills, turned engine off at stop lights, but was pleasantly surprized when I ran the numbers at the end of the trip and filled it back up.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

My RPM at 90 is 2k exactly I dunno if that really matters...

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

wow, i can barely reach 70 at 2k rpm, lucky you...

SILVER
    1998 Z28

90 mph @ 2k should yield good mpg.....i'm near 2k @ 85 mph. Either traffic is a real b*tch, you foot is dang heavy, or your plugs are shot.... and yes changing that one plug is that bad.........

Yea you need too tune her up if you are getting that kind of gas mileage. I was getting 22-26 mpg with 120k with factory plugs etc..., now 26-30 mpg with new plugs and wires driving; 1/3 country, 1/3 highway, and 1/3 city

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_m70 View Post
    90 mph @ 2k should yield good mpg.....i'm near 2k @ 85 mph. Either traffic is a real b*tch, you foot is dang heavy, or your plugs are shot.... and yes changing that one plug is that bad.........

Yea you need too tune her up if you are getting that kind of gas mileage. I was getting 22-26 mpg with 120k with factory plugs etc..., now 26-30 mpg with new plugs and wires driving; 1/3 country, 1/3 highway, and 1/3 city
    what rear end gear do you guys have to get that kind of RPM at that speed?

or is it the 4th gear ratio? I would assume all 4L60Es came with the same ratios.

I know my car has the 3.23 rear, and I'm doing good to stay under 2k at 65.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information