Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Gas

Has anybody ever ran anything other than 93 octane? I have a 2000 ss 6spd and was just curious of any problems or comments people have.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

I was referring to running 89 octane

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

It would prolly cause it to knock/detonation (sp?) which you don't want.
    I only run the best in mine-one time I put the mid grade in and it pinged when I got on it- F that.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Out here in the "Hot Ass Desert" of PHX the best we get is 91 octane. Still gets my ride into the mid 12's with minor "bolt on" mods...

If only we had "good air" (like I used to get in L.A.) I could cut a low 12 (at least)...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

91 is all we get in Oklahoma as well. Owners manual recommends 91 octane or higher. If you run less than 91, you run the risk of detonation.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    91 is all we get in Oklahoma as well. Owners manual recommends 91 octane or higher. If you run less than 91, you run the risk of detonation.
    True dat! Which is why I run 91 in all of the cars I own.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    True dat! Which is why I run 91 in all of the cars I own.
    Really? Why? I am curious. I d/d a honda accord and I run 89 in it just for the hwy mileage.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    Really? Why? I am curious. I d/d a honda accord and I run 89 in it just for the hwy mileage.
    You could run 87 in that Accord and would be fine.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

My "race car" and my DD are both LS1 cars. The 67 needs "High Test" also...

Check my sig for details...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    My "race car" and my DD are both LS1 cars. The 67 needs "High Test" also...

Check my sig for details...
    You running lead? I have'nt heard that term in years..

OP, 91 or better (rule o' thumb) in the performance cars .. Even my 6 only gets 93 or higher... It never pings... The differance is cents saved compare that to dollars on valve/head work and it quickly becomes not worth even running cheaper fuels... Put 89 in the mower not the hot rod..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-27-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

OP, 91 or better in the performance cars .. Even my 6 only gets 93 or higher... It never pings... The differance is cents saved compare that to dollars on valve/head work and it quickly becomes not worth even running cheaper fuels...
    I could but at the current price (~$7/gal for 108 leaded at Love's) it's prohibitive. Even then I could still get 100 octane unleaded if I go to the right station (some Love's and select Union 76 stations) but it's still ~$7/gal...

"High test" these days refers to the highest octane of unleaded available (91 octane in Arizona). I remember "regular" leaded being 100 octane (Chevron "Blue") while the original "High test" leaded was 106 octane (Chevron "Red"). FWIW, I might have that ass backwards but the fuel was tinted "red" and "blue" to distinguish the octane level. That was back around 1970...

Ohhh, how the mighty have fallen...
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 08-27-2010 at 10:15 PM.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Thanks for the information. I was thinking that it would have detonation
    But still had to ask

red
    2002 camaro ss

we got 110 and 100 around here at our local sunoco, but i think the 110 is leaded, and the 100 for street, i love the smell

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

OP, 91 or better (rule o' thumb) in the performance cars .. Even my 6 only gets 93 or higher... It never pings... The differance is cents saved compare that to dollars on valve/head work and it quickly becomes not worth even running cheaper fuels... Put 89 in the mower not the hot rod..
    Cents? Around here 93 is like $0.30 more than 89. You're talking around $4 per fillup. Or around $200/year.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

i run 93 in all my cars and also go exclusively to shell. i have read on here that shell has one of the best quality fuels.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Where i live we are a mile up in altitude so we can get away with medium grade gas but i just stick to hi grade. either grade and the car gets the same mpg and performance up here.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The PCM actually has separate timing tables for high and low octane fuels. If a problem occurs, I believe it defaults to the low octane table to prevent engine damage from pre-ignition. Other than that, no idea how it tells the difference in fuel octane unless it is simply reading the counts from the knock sensors.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    we used too have 93 at a few synclair gas stations. one in moore...that was nice now only places you can get higher octane is edmond nichols hills...101 octane baby!..or was it 108? i cant remember i used to have too use that gas until i got a proper tune.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    we used too have 93 at a few synclair gas stations. one in moore...that was nice now only places you can get higher octane is edmond nichols hills...101 octane baby!..or was it 108? i cant remember i used to have too use that gas until i got a proper tune.
    We had 93 in Tulsa until Gasgate happened. OKC and Tulsa lost it about the same time IIRC.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

This was not in my Trans Am, but in my Cobra...

The manual for the Cobra is apparently the same as the one for the GT, except it has a small 'Cobra supplemental' at the end. Before I realized that, I had already found the section on recommended octane, and it only called for 87. I was quite surprised, but hey that's what the manual said so I went with it. About 2 months later I needed to look something else up in the manual and then realized it had that Cobra supplement at the end, and sure enough in there it specified 91 octane, and I immediately switched over to 93. Lazy ass manual writers, couldn't just put out a distinct manual for the Cobra. I know much of the car is the same, but still...

So anyway, for that 2 month period I experienced no knocking or any obvious performance issues running on the 87 octane. Of course, these are difference engines and this is probably not relevant to an LS1...

Thread Information