Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Fuel Pump Questions

So My fuel pump started to whine real bad so im guessing its on its way out. is it easier to just make a door for it and cut a piece of my trunk out or tear the whole back end apart?

Royal pain in the.... Phantom2kz's Avatar

2001 Z-28 A4 NBM
    2002 35th anni SS M6#1696

don't hack a hole in your hatch. it really isnt that bad to put a fuel pump in a f-body
    tank doesn't even have to come all the way out, drop the shocks and panhard rod,yank heatshields,pull tank about half way out and swap pumps. empty tank make the process much easier.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I've seen it done both ways. The "door" is probably the ugliest way to go. All that covers it up is a piece of jute and the carpet, other than that it is wide open. If you can, do what phantom said and just drop the tank a little bit and do it the right way. That way in the long run, you won't be disappointed in doing it, ie. when you go to sell the car.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

update

So here is a question, my fuel pump stopped whinning for about a week, but started to again yesterday when my car got warm sitting in traffic and such. But also when it gets that warm it starts to hesitate on take off and buck a little at low RPM. Why does the puel piump start to whine and does it have anything to do with the bucking, cuz it has been doing the bucking thing ever since i installed the LT on it over a year ago.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by AF1Strider View Post
    So here is a question, my fuel pump stopped whinning for about a week, but started to again yesterday when my car got warm sitting in traffic and such. But also when it gets that warm it starts to hesitate on take off and buck a little at low RPM. Why does the puel piump start to whine and does it have anything to do with the bucking, cuz it has been doing the bucking thing ever since i installed the LT on it over a year ago.
    More information... is your service engine light on? Are your o2 sensors installed, cats? Check the wiring to the fuel pump too.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

I have a lower thermostat, no cats, bosch 13111 o2 sensors installed, i put them in about 7 months ago. car only does it when the temp gauge reads 210. yesmy ses light is on but because i have no cats.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by AF1Strider View Post
    I have a lower thermostat, no cats, bosch 13111 o2 sensors installed, i put them in about 7 months ago. car only does it when the temp gauge reads 210. yesmy ses light is on but because i have no cats.
    The o2 sensor code may be causing your engine to run slightly rough. Also, since the light is on constantly, how do you know there is no other engine codes that have tripped? Get someone to read it for you and figure out what codes you have. Also, just get your fuel pump replace for the whining noise.

Throw a fuel pressure gauge on it and go for a drive.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

the codes shouldnt matter tho since its the rear o2 sensors right? they are just for cats. Im just curious why my fuel pump whines but only if the car gets hot. the bucking/ hesistation im used to cuz it started when i put the headers on.

Thread Information