front turn signal housing/bulb rant

This is a discussion on front turn signal housing/bulb rant within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; friggin crap. my turn signals intermittently worked last year so this spring i replaced the sockets with some that i ...

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

front turn signal housing/bulb rant

friggin crap.

my turn signals intermittently worked last year so this spring i replaced the sockets with some that i picked up from work. they've worked excellent for the past 2 or 3 months...however long it has been since i took the car out of storage. i'm sure you guys know the look of bad sockets...all burned up and blackened and twisted and shit.

well...la dee dah guess what. my turn signals started working intermittently again and tonite i take out the bulb to check it...the bulb is fine...but the brand fuckin new socket is burned up already. i greased it with dialectic grease and everything. i'm pissed.

damn you gm...why can't you design a turn signal that doesn't fuck up after 2 months! WHY?!

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    friggin crap.

my turn signals intermittently worked last year so this spring i replaced the sockets with some that i picked up from work. they've worked excellent for the past 2 or 3 months...however long it has been since i took the car out of storage. i'm sure you guys know the look of bad sockets...all burned up and blackened and twisted and shit.

well...la dee dah guess what. my turn signals started working intermittently again and tonite i take out the bulb to check it...the bulb is fine...but the brand fuckin new socket is burned up already. i greased it with dialectic grease and everything. i'm pissed.

damn you gm...why can't you design a turn signal that doesn't fuck up after 2 months! WHY?!
    get rid of the daytime running lamps!

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

that would be this correct?

http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html

man...i dunno...i just get nervous at the thought of soldering on a pc board on my headlight system.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

i feel ya . . . replaced my passenger side a couple weeks ago for the second time. . . how does your housings looks? the passenger side on mine was in pretty bad shape, with small cracks throughout the lens. So i went ahead and bought new housings for both sides, well see if this prevents the little moisture from gettin into the sockets. And fyi, you dont realized how nasty your orginals look until you get new ones. Next, I plan on converting the bulbs over to leds, to cut down on the heat.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    i feel ya . . . replaced my passenger side a couple weeks ago for the second time. . . how does your housings looks? the passenger side on mine was in pretty bad shape, with small cracks throughout the lens. So i went ahead and bought new housings for both sides, well see if this prevents the little moisture from gettin into the sockets. And fyi, you dont realized how nasty your orginals look until you get new ones. Next, I plan on converting the bulbs over to leds, to cut down on the heat.
    Im wanting LEDs too. Is there a specific spot that people are getting these for our cars?

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Truck Stops!!!! they usually have the best selection.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
    Im wanting LEDs too. Is there a specific spot that people are getting these for our cars?
    ive been using and askin questions to autolumination.com . . . keep in mind you cant just replace the bulbs. you need to change your flasher and they recommend an led protector on each light.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

my lenses are actually in good shape. i was thinking of replacing them with a clear set though in the future and i was also wanting to do yellow LED bulbs for them. you can get load equalizers at autozone and wire them in series...it's a glorified resistor basically.

silver
    1999 T/A WS6 A4

Yup I know the problem well, first time I bought the 35 dollar sockets, yeah I got . Second time bought the Autozone sockets, melted again, finally switched to LEDs and my sockets don't freakin melt anymore.
    If nothing else at least GM put good motors in the cars.

black
    02 vette vert

that would be this correct?

http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html

man...i dunno...i just get nervous at the thought of soldering on a pc board on my headlight system.
    i see you are m-6. i dont know still if the unplugging of the drl, auto headlamp plug disables just the remote rear hatch button under the dash, or all remote function of the hatch. im a4 and the only thing that i lost is the brake warning light for the p-brake, no biggie. ive never seen[at least that i remember] anyone chime in to say for sure on the hatch thing for m-6. but you just unplug the smaller connector on the right side and no more melted sockets, melted housings, and you can turn your lights on or off when you want to.

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro convertible

I did the DRL and auto-headlight disable. It solved both of my problems at the same time. I wanted control of my headlights and my turn signal bulbs would only last a few months before burning out (that and I didn't want the DRL's on in my clear corners). After the disable, my bulbs have not burned out once yet, and it's been well over a year now. If you're not comfortable with soldering, find someone who is... it's a pretty simple job. I'd do it for you if you lived near me...

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i know that i can do the job...i've soldered circuit boards before...i'm just a lil paranoid.

black
    02 vette vert

i know that i can do the job...i've soldered circuit boards before...i'm just a lil paranoid.
    dont party the night before, you dont want the hands shaking.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    dont party the night before, you dont want the hands shaking.
    hahaha...i'll try not to

Thread Information