Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Question Free Ram Air Mod?

What does it do? How much does it help(HP&Torque)? How do you do it(on a 98 Z28)? Any pictures or instructions? & Are there any negative effects? Any answers are much appreciated?

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Frees up air to come in from underneath the car by the radiator. Yes it does add more air, hot radiator air while idling, should net gains while the car is moving however and cooler air rushes in. Gains have been guessed in the 6-10 hp range. Negatives are hot air while idling, whether on road or in staging lanes at the track. Also your air filter will get dirtier...MUCH dirtier and need changing/cleaning more often. Google LS1 install university to find a how to

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

white
    2002 z28

if your going to do do that mad you should look into getting the fast toys ram air that takes full advantage of that mod even more. good luck

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

yea fra is good for a while because its free. i did it when i installed my new lid and could feel and hear a diff from before and after....though i'm sure it was more the lid than the fra. eventually i went with the ssra because i wanted a REAL ram air kit instead of just a hole hoping to suck up some air.

white
    2002 z28

ssra ? is that the one with the snorkle under front bumper

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

umm i guess you could call it that, but its really just a box. i have some pics on my cardomain page of it installed if you're interested. the consensus is that it gives about 15 rwhp over stock, but those numbers can vary depending on what else you've done to the car. i've seen dyno gains as low as 12 rwhp and as high as 18 rwhp on other sites.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

I was told that the company making the SSRA is out of business. This was by a sponsor site! They told me after I bought it and i had to get the SLP cai instead. Lucky you got one. I think its better than the SLP one too. But they make a kit that you can attach to the bottom of it now that makes it a true ram air. I should be getting that next.

black
    02 z28 vert M6

thinking about doing it also....just got the lid

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    I was told that the company making the SSRA is out of business. This was by a sponsor site! They told me after I bought it and i had to get the SLP cai instead. Lucky you got one. I think its better than the SLP one too. But they make a kit that you can attach to the bottom of it now that makes it a true ram air. I should be getting that next.
    lol it's still being made and i got it like 3 weeks ago. it was never made by a company, but by a private guy who came up with the design. he uses some manufacturer to build it for him though. i know a few months ago they switched the material it was made of to a stronger type of plastic (polypropeline i think). maybe that's what you heard? and yes, the slp is crap. its metal, obstructs the radiator and isnt very long. even the fast toys piece is better than the slp.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

lol i was just about to close this website when i saw a link on the top side for lmperformance. thats where i got my ssra. now that i know they're a sponsor i can post the link.
    http://www.lmperformance.com/1858/15.html

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Yeah, they told me that its some guy (a pilot I think) but his company is called Austin Performance. So yeah...its a company. I spoke to the owner of Macewen Motorsports who told me personally that the guy was flaky and that he was too small time to keep up with demand...what a shame (his words not mine).

I thought I smelled BS, so I canceled my order with him and ordered the SSRA from another company and that guy from maryland speed (the owner)told me that the thing was backordered cause the guy is a pilot and he leaves town for days/weeks at a time.

This kinda made me think twice so I went ahead and ordered what most other here have. The SLP piece. It works ok enough.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

ok guys i just created a poll/discussion thread in the external engine forum so everyone can find out more about different cai kits. here's a link
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48247

Thread Information