Red
    1999 Camaro SS(LS6 Swap)

First time running new LS6 (ZO6) at the track!!

I ran my new motor in the 1/8 mile track and i was a little disapointed at my times. My best time was 8.4 at 85 mph but i have an auto and was running my normal street tires and other people said that is was a very strong time for an Auto with street tires. I need some of yall's input, tell me what u think!!

The block has 405 hp with an auto, Yank 3300 stall, port and polished throttle body, mass air flow, slp exhaust, and hypertech 3 and stock gears 3.23 i think!
    Last edited by mglangley21; 07-14-2007 at 06:34 AM.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS(LS6 Swap)

Nobody has anything to say?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

You're right, your times are not impressive. For example I know a guy who had LT's, true duals, no cats and 3400 stall and he ran a 12.6 quarter on a set of ET Streets. Then again my car isn't all that fast either and I don't have a high stall converter, just exhaust work (LT's, !cats, 3" ORY & cutout) and 3.73 gears. We run roughly the same times. Your time will net a low 13 quarter. How do you know you have a LS6/Z06 engine? Not critiquing, just asking.

1st off I'd ditch the HPP3 settings. Their settings are junk. Only thing an HPP is good for is if you've changed gears, tire diameter or want to lower your fan settings. A good tune on a dyno would net more hp and tq as well as give an accurate reading of where you are at regarding A/F ratio and real hp and tq at the rear wheels.

2nd, I've no doubt that your car needs sticker tires to allow it to hook up when launching, especially with a 3300 stall. Nitto 555R or BFG Drag Radials will help in that department. If you're more venturesome, try ET Streets as, short of real slicks, they are the stickiest of all.

I'd also put a TA cover (or similar) on the rear end to help stabilize the caps and housing. Might also want to consider traction devices, i.e., welded in sub-frame connectors (keeps your car from twisting itself into a pretzel) and aftermarket torque arm (will help plant the tires and avoid wheel hop which will trash the rear end).

Just these basic things should get you a 12 second time slip.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 07-14-2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: fixed misspelled words

Red
    1999 Camaro SS(LS6 Swap)

I bought the motor myself from crateenginedepot.com, thats how i know, and i have not tuned the new motor since it has been put in. do u think that could be the problem, because the pcm is that of a LS1 setting?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

You're definitly not making what your engine is capable of using the LS1 tune in your PCM. You're probably not hurting it, you're just not letting the combination live up to it's capabilities.

Like I said, find a good tuner and have the tune done on a chasis dyno. Unless you know how to tune using a laptop computer and suitable program (HP Tuners is what my friend uses - there are others) then expect to pay around $200-400. When I had my car dyno tuned I netted an extra 20 hp and 19 pounds-feet of torque at the rear wheels.

Best I've turned in the 1/4 mile prior to tuning and with Nitto 555R's on the back and 3.42 gears was a 13.14 ET @ 107 mph but it was wheel hopping really bad off the line. I now have 3.73's gears, have added an aftermarket torque arm plus I've have had the car dyno tuned but haven't taken it to the track due to the over 90 degree night time temps here @ Firebird.

Later this year I intend to add a high stall converter with a tranny cooler (you do have a tranny cooler with the stall converter don't you?) and a shift improver kit.

With tuning, you're car should be running mid to high 12's with the combination you've stated.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Tune that bad boy Brian, and you'll see a world of differance!

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I'm running sub 7.9 1/8th mile times and totally stock was close to what your running now with my 02 Z28 A4. All I have is LT headers, 3400 stall , catback, fipk and nitto drag radials.
    What was your 60 foot times? With mods you have your 60 foot times should be at least in the 1.6's.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS(LS6 Swap)

Like i said a can't get a grip, i was spinning through 1,2,and 3rd gear. My slip say's
    REACTION: .071
    I1: 1.929
    I2: 5.574
    E.T: 8.427
    MPH: 85.124

So i know i need a tune and i can't grip, so i need some slicks and a tune huh?

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

At least some Nittos drag radials at the right pressure and your 60 foot times should drop down alot. On 1.9 60 foot times I was running a 12.9-13.1 1/4 mile before the stall converter.

Thread Information