Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

First Mods

This is a discussion on First Mods within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Y-pipe runs the headers (or stock exhaust) into 1 pipe (The "I" pipe) then over the axel into the muffler. ...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Y-pipe runs the headers (or stock exhaust) into 1 pipe (The "I" pipe) then over the axel into the muffler.

I have QTP headers (LT or Long Tubes) which runs into a 3" custom Y-pipe which runs into the factory I pipe onto which I had a QTP electric 3" cutout welded. This in turn runs out the factory muffler and tips. Very quiet when closed. Very loud when open.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

What about performance wise? What is an advantage of having the Y pipe?

black & silver
    00 SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    Thanks for the reply ill give them a call. What do you think is the most rwhp i can get with a h/c combo with full exhaust on the stock cubic inches?
    ive heard of some guys getting close to that or right around that with the right heads and cam and all the valve train work as well ie.....shaft mount roller rockers springs and retainers with a large cam also make sure the heads that you get are 2.02/1.60 valves and that they are cathedral ported the shop will know what ya mean i have slp stage 3 heads and i love em with an ls1 intake and stock maf and what not and i had a mild cam i made 412 rwhp on a shitty tune dude tuned way to rich. i would of made more but oh well anyway hope that helps i think the other place i would call is cartek i think they may be a sponser on here if not look on ls1 tech im almost positive they are on there happy shopping..... later.

black & silver
    00 SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    What about performance wise? What is an advantage of having the Y pipe?
    the y pipe allows for much better exhaust flow. lets the car breath a little better. easy in and easy out allows for much better throttle response and hp less back up of exhaust in the exhaust. if that makes sense

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    The only thing lots of HP that you can't use is good for is bragging rights
    dude, i'm all about the bragging rights of unusable hp lol. after i install my lt's/ory, ud pulley and get a tune i should be around 400 hp at the crank. that number just sounds so much better than the stock 325 doesnt it? as of yet i havent done a single suspension mod to my car...maybe later once i run out of bolt ons to do

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Talk about awful grammar on my part ^

Silver
    2002 Z28

The moser 9 is a great rear end, but I wouldn't make that a first mod... Has noone here driven a bolt-on car with a 9-inch? It'll suck the fun right outta the car. Plain and simply, the 9-inch is the strongest answer to the weak 10-bolt, but that's because it's the most durable, and resultingly the heaviest. This creates enormous parasitic loss, and as far as I'm concerned, I don't want to give away that power until the car is making enough to threaten the 10 bolt!
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    The moser 9 is a great rear end, but I wouldn't make that a first mod... Has noone here driven a bolt-on car with a 9-inch? It'll suck the fun right outta the car. Plain and simply, the 9-inch is the strongest answer to the weak 10-bolt, but that's because it's the most durable, and resultingly the heaviest. This creates enormous parasitic loss, and as far as I'm concerned, I don't want to give away that power until the car is making enough to threaten the 10 bolt!
    So how much more does the moser 9 weigh than the stock 10 bolt? What other factors make the moser 9 create that much of a loss? I have heard of stock M6 cars breaking the rear end, in your opinion at what point does the stock rear need to be upgraded? And if you do break the rear is it just as simple as buying a new one and replacing it? Thanks

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

yeah i'm kinda curious about this too because after i do my header/ory install later this summer and get my ud pulley and dyno tune i should be making over 400 hp to the crank and around 350 to the wheels. i'm hoping i wont need to go spend like 2 grand for a new rear end on top of all the other mods.

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Ok I know the difference between the X and H pipe, H pipe better sound with more torque, X pipe more Hp, what does the Y pipe do?
    The Y-pipe is what came on F-bodies frome the factory ....

black & silver
    00 SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    yeah i'm kinda curious about this too because after i do my header/ory install later this summer and get my ud pulley and dyno tune i should be making over 400 hp to the crank and around 350 to the wheels. i'm hoping i wont need to go spend like 2 grand for a new rear end on top of all the other mods.
    as for your curiousity i have a 10 bolt and it was fine,if you spend a few bucks for some parts. a friend of mine built mine and it's good for a mid 10 pass n/a no nitrous on it or at least not the hole shot after is fine. i was at about 475 to 500 fwhp which was around 410 to the ground and i beat the shit out of that rearend and it held up fine. buy a detroit locker and at least motive gears or better(thats whats in mine) if it is built right the 10 bolt will hold 500 fwhp no problem hope that helps.

your list of first-to-do mods looks good. I'd add a set of 4.11's into the mix too. If you have the money, I would buy the Kooks headers-nothing replaces quality. To answer your clutch question, my stock one went out around 24,000 miles with basic bolt-ons on the car. From there I went with a SPEC stage 3 which lasted a couple years and replaced that with a Textralia Exo-Skel when the 408 went it. The car is now being swapped over to a TH400 as we speak.

As for the rear end....I would get a 12 bolt or 9 inch when you start to get serious with the mods-(HC/FI/bigger cubes,etc.) I kept my 10 bolt with GM Superior gears and a girdle when I had a cam and it was fine. My friend runs it now on his car with no issues as far as I know. I run a Strange 12 bolt w/ 33 spline axles and 4.11's. That being said, I broke it a couple fridays ago at the track launching from 5,000 RPMs with 4.30s in there when I still had the six speed. Now its got a full spool...

With basic bolt ons untuned my car made 344/354 to the wheels on a dynojet so you shouldn't have any problems making over 350 tuned. I've had alot of combinations on my car so feel free to get ahold of me if you have any questions.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

I'm dropping in a Moser 9" next week. It'll have Eaton Posi and 3.70s. Its from EPP Exotic Performance Plus. Weight wise, I was told it would only be like 5-10 pounds more than the stocker (aluminum case).
    I can't wait. It should be awesome!

Do not beef up the stocker...sooner or later, you WILL break it!
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Y-pipe runs the headers (or stock exhaust) into 1 pipe (The "I" pipe) then over the axel into the muffler.

I have QTP headers (LT or Long Tubes) which runs into a 3" custom Y-pipe which runs into the factory I pipe onto which I had a QTP electric 3" cutout welded. This in turn runs out the factory muffler and tips. Very quiet when closed. Very loud when open.
    How do you like those QTP headers? Any fitment issuses, good quality?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information