Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first mod

White
    00 z28

Lightbulb first mod

Hello everyone just have a question. I just bought a 99 z28 65k miles on it about 2 months ago. 6 speed and wanted to do the first mod to the car in about a month as a birthday present to myself from myself. .

My overall goal is to have a dd car with a mild cam that sounds bad ass but with some speed to back it up. I would love to just drop a cam in it and then go from there but that would be pretty backwards right?.

so ive decided to do all of the backround work like headers and intake beforehand. for me having about a grand to throw at a stock car what should be my first upgrade.

I know everyone is going to have diffrent opnions but all are welcome.

Thanks.

rice..a growing epidemic PAT-LS101's Avatar

blue
    2002 camaro z28 a4

air lid, filter, catback

White
    00 z28

ok thanks and any opnions on type and a place to purchase?

rice..a growing epidemic PAT-LS101's Avatar

blue
    2002 camaro z28 a4

Quote Originally Posted by espskillz View Post
    ok thanks and any opnions on type and a place to purchase?
    well I bought my Granatelli air lid for 50 bucks off ebay is good condition and I have flowmaster 80 series muffler but it sucks

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

If you can manage it (depending on smog laws) LT's + TD's are a good bang for the buck. Add in the LS6 intake and a dynotune and you should be close to 340-350rwhp.

Q: Do you have SFC's on the car. I suggest this as the 1st thing you should get done so the car doesn't turn into a pretzel.

Also, with the 6 speed you might want to be gentle with the launch and shifts or consider upgrading the clutch and rear end.

White
    00 z28

sfc? if i had a quess it would be system factory clutch? if so then yes.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

magnaflow catback and slp lid

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

sfc = Sub Frame Connectors, preferably weld in type.

A buddy of mine bought his 2000 SS new and went for modding and 1/4 mile racing from the get. He didn't go for SFC's til the car had 50K miles on it (this was in 2005). It was so twisted that I had to fab up a 1/2" spacer to get the connectors to fit on the right (pass) side. Luck for him he bought the type that don't go all the way back to the trailing arm or it wouldn't've worked.

Mind you this was a H/C/N2O car that ran 11.1 in the 1/4.

LT = Long tubes or regular headers

TD = True Duals or dual exhaust. Tough to do on these cars as they weren't designed for the traditional 2 mufflers under the rear seat placement but it can be done if you find a skilled exhaust guy.

Mind you, both of these mods are frowned upon by the smog police as it involves removal of most of the pollution control devices.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 10-13-2008 at 10:58 AM.

SOM / NBM
    2002 Pro Z28/2001 TurboTA

Exhuast = fun

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

SUB FRAME CONNECTORS keep the car from twisting

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

My 02 has SFC's, LT's and TD's with an X-pipe and MagnaFlow mufflers. I also have a Volant CAI and 3.73 gears along with an adjustable TA (torque arm). All this plus a Fuddle 3400 stall and she flat gets with the program (i.e., tire smoke on stock tires for ever).

I'll have new times in a few weeks when I go to the track. I use DR's (Drag Radials) there. I'm hoping for mid to low 12's.

White
    00 z28

Ok sounds like a plan. so pretty much exhaust and headers for the first step. AS for the smog cops I live in florida so im good. dont have to do any inspections or anything like that. your car can pollute all you want! as for the sfc Dont know anyone that would be able to do that for me. I have a few mechanics that can do headers cam and everything like that but sfc i would have to ask.

Any good websites to order from? ive heard of texas speed. but anything else?
    Last edited by espskillz; 10-13-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

check out some of the sponsers on this site. since you plan on this being your DD then go with Pat-LS101's advice. Get her breathing right and sounding good and the bonus is that you should get better mileage out of her,(depending on how you drive). Mine is also my DD and at first i had some unrealistic goals for her, but all i've done so far is a MTI Lid, SSRA, and Hooker catback. i'de like to do a lot more but i have to keep reminding myself that this is my DD and gas prices aren't getting any lower and the goal is to only have to hit the station up once a week.

Since you have some money to spend i'de also get Headers and a off road y-pipe(ORY). It can be a little pricey to have them installed at a shop from what i hear so you might want to DIY. a lot of members here will recommend Pacesetter Long Tube Headers (LT's) due to performance and clearance, also the price isn't bad either. As far as catback systems go.... well IMO i'de go with either a Hooker or Magnaflow system. Both flow great and the sound is good. but there are others out there and if you want to hear them then search ls1sounds.com and you can hear just about all of the best ones on the market. hope this helped

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    SUB FRAME CONNECTORS keep the car from twisting
    Yeah, UMI 3 point weld-ins work pretty well for me.

White
    00 z28

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    check out some of the sponsers on this site. since you plan on this being your DD then go with Pat-LS101's advice. Get her breathing right and sounding good and the bonus is that you should get better mileage out of her,(depending on how you drive). Mine is also my DD and at first i had some unrealistic goals for her, but all i've done so far is a MTI Lid, SSRA, and Hooker catback. i'de like to do a lot more but i have to keep reminding myself that this is my DD and gas prices aren't getting any lower and the goal is to only have to hit the station up once a week.

Since you have some money to spend i'de also get Headers and a off road y-pipe(ORY). It can be a little pricey to have them installed at a shop from what i hear so you might want to DIY. a lot of members here will recommend Pacesetter Long Tube Headers (LT's) due to performance and clearance, also the price isn't bad either. As far as catback systems go.... well IMO i'de go with either a Hooker or Magnaflow system. Both flow great and the sound is good. but there are others out there and if you want to hear them then search ls1sounds.com and you can hear just about all of the best ones on the market. hope this helped
    Thanks for the good advice I do have a mechanic that gives me good prices. on labor, so im not worried about that. just so many choices you can get all mixed up and confused about what is the best with everyone saying something different. And the once a week gass station is most definitely a must.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

I did as robcas47 stated about headers and an ORY when my car was a DD. Since I now have a different car as a DD (1st a 89 RS; now a 98 Z28) I can do as I like and not have to worry about it.

White
    00 z28

Question

Is there a sticky or somthing with abbreviations or somthing? I am very interested in learinging all of these terms but google search only goes so far with acros.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by espskillz View Post
    Is there a sticky or somthing with abbreviations or somthing? I am very interested in learinging all of these terms but google search only goes so far with acros.
    here ya go
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75798

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

I also vote for SFC first. After that in this order lid and air filter, catback or TD, headers, if you still have money left heads and cam. With the added power I’d upgrade the suspension as well.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

SFC first

Thread Information