Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Firebird vs. Camaro

This is a discussion on Firebird vs. Camaro within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Ryanater What about an lt1 ws6? I saw one at a dealer and it looked really cool! ...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanater View Post
    What about an lt1 ws6? I saw one at a dealer and it looked really cool! Is there a noticable differance in performance compared to an ls1 ws6? What about suspension? straight line? Is it really worth the extra $4,000 to get an ls1?
    in a word.....YES.
    i have alot of respect for LT1s. alot of people have made them fast. my friend has a 95 and is die hard about it. he could easily afford an ss or ws6 ls1 but wants to built his lt1 into the 11s. but he is honest and calls himself stupid all the time because of the amount of work that has to go into them to get them to break into the 12s and 11s. its not easy with the optispark either. but anything takes work. with the ls1 you have a much higher hp and torque baseline to work with and dont have to worry about alot of problems that seem to plague the lt1s older technology. i say its def. worth the 4 grand if you are comparing the same ballpark car. if you are comparing a 40k mile lt1 with a 120k mile ls1 then i might give you different advice...any gm 347 you get will be reliable to some degree depending on how it was maintained, but i vote to go with the ls1. just my 2 cents.......good luck

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Light Pewter Metallic or Sunset Orange Metallic Camaro Z28 or SS. I just like the clean lines of the Camaro better.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    in a word.....YES.
    i have alot of respect for LT1s. alot of people have made them fast. my friend has a 95 and is die hard about it. he could easily afford an ss or ws6 ls1 but wants to built his lt1 into the 11s. but he is honest and calls himself stupid all the time because of the amount of work that has to go into them to get them to break into the 12s and 11s. its not easy with the optispark either. but anything takes work. with the ls1 you have a much higher hp and torque baseline to work with and dont have to worry about alot of problems that seem to plague the lt1s older technology. i say its def. worth the 4 grand if you are comparing the same ballpark car. if you are comparing a 40k mile lt1 with a 120k mile ls1 then i might give you different advice...any gm 347 you get will be reliable to some degree depending on how it was maintained, but i vote to go with the ls1. just my 2 cents.......good luck

Doesn't the ws6 lt1 motor have 340hp? And the ls1 have 325hp? I know the ls1 is under rated but is the ls1 really going to be that much faster?

And what about handeling? I don't want a car that can go like a bat out of hell on the straights but is just plain scary when it comes to cornering and braking.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

The LT1 motor was underrated in the fbodies as it's advertised power for the Corvette (300) was a more realistic number. The same applied for the LS1 in the fbodies. A more realistic power number for them is 350.

Doesn't the ws6 lt1 motor have 340hp? And the ls1 have 325hp? I know the ls1 is under rated but is the ls1 really going to be that much faster?

And what about handeling? I don't want a car that can go like a bat out of hell on the straights but is just plain scary when it comes to cornering and braking.
    Last edited by SiggyZ; 03-22-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Pewter
    2000 z28

dude fuck no!!! no stock lt1 has anything near 300. no no no. the ws6 lt1 vs lt1s is basically the same as the ws6 ls1 vs. ls1. only minor minor hp differences. and yes the suspension.
    i just looked on camaroforums.com and a gm documentation page was posted for the lt1. it gets between 265-275 at the crank which works out to about 235-245 maybe 250. ls1s are easily getting 290 to the wheels as they were (yes this is fact) underated for the crank hp figures by gm. i dont wanna jump your shit but i think anyone will tell you honestly to get the ls1. it way more powerful by about 45 hp and alot less headaches. get one with decent milage but there are many still kicking hard at over 100k. so yes the ls1 will be ALOT faster with way more torque and the same suspension or better than even an lt1 ws6

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

but like I said I'm concerned with handeling. How much of a differance is there? Are they balanced as well? and how much more does the lt1 weigh?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

If you mean by engine weight?

LS1
    459(automatic)
    503(manual)

LT1
    562 (automatic)
    620 (manual)

If you mean by car as in reference to the Camaro Z28?

Camaro Z28 LS1
    3424(automatic)
    3403(manual)

Camaro Z28 LT1
    3521(automatic)
    3436(manual)

but like I said I'm concerned with handeling. How much of a differance is there? Are they balanced as well? and how much more does the lt1 weigh?
    Last edited by SiggyZ; 03-22-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Pewter
    2000 z28

handling will not be an issue in an ls1 man. i dont know of any site that provides specs for the suspension of both, but i have driven my buddy's 95 z. i will outhandle him. im seeing severely inflated hp # on some forums for lt1s and i know the ws6's ram air didnt add no 40 horse. at best (and i am stretching at best) the ws6 put out 290 at the crank. at best. ive seen alot of malarky today and im getting agitated...sorry. the lt1 weighs a good couple hundred more because it was and iron block, not sure about the heads, but i think they were iron as well. the ls1 is an all aluminum engine that dissipates heat more efficiently and weighs alot less.
    im feeling like im swaying you here but yes i am bias and yes i do kind of know what im saying bc i have an ls1 and my buddy has an lt1. i sincerely swear that at youre age (same as me) and your income and what you wanna do the ls1 is the way to go. believe me, ive done a SHITTON of research. only now i cant remember.........

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    If you mean by engine weight?

LS1
    459(automatic)
    503(manual)

LT1
    562 (automatic)
    620 (manual)

If you mean by car as in reference to the Camaro Z28?

Camaro Z28 LS1
    3424(automatic)
    3403(manual)

Camaro Z28 LT1
    3521(automatic)
    3436(manual)
    Wow 33lbs! So I pretty much have to gut the interior to get the lt1 down to the weight of the ls1. idk guys, 33lbs is lot of pundage.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Wow 33lbs! So I pretty much have to gut the interior to get the lt1 down to the weight of the ls1. idk guys, 33lbs is lot of pundage.
    for some reason that looks to close to me. dude youre killing me, what do i have to do to convince you. look around at this site. the guys who have lt1s running fast are bad asses!!!! it takes work. why not start with more and better mpg, top speed, hp, tq, no optispark, hp, tq, hp , tq hp tq and horsepower and torque!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are all 4th gen, but the 98-02 came along way i promise........

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Uhhh...I think you have sold him on getting an LS1 instead as I'm sure he would rather not gut the interior.

for some reason that looks to close to me. dude youre killing me, what do i have to do to convince you. look around at this site. the guys who have lt1s running fast are bad asses!!!! it takes work. why not start with more and better mpg, top speed, hp, tq, no optispark, hp, tq, hp , tq hp tq and horsepower and torque!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are all 4th gen, but the 98-02 came along way i promise........

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Uhhh...I think you have sold him on getting an LS1 instead as I'm sure he would rather not gut the interior.
    i dont know man, hes putting up a good fight. i just dont wanna see him go through all that crap to be fast. its just older tech. and i see what my friend has gone through, wrenching every weekend. the guy is the same age as me, i know about the college thing and a lack of a thing called money. just dont wanna see him go through alot of hell.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

i dont know man, hes putting up a good fight. i just dont wanna see him go through all that crap to be fast. its just older tech. and i see what my friend has gone through, wrenching every weekend. the guy is the same age as me, i know about the college thing and a lack of a thing called money. just dont wanna see him go through alot of hell.
    I was joking about the 33lbs. I don't think it would really make a differance.

But yeah I think you guys are right about the ls1. There faster, newer, lighter, handle better, more reliable, better looking, and all that with better gas mileage. It's just that extra 4-5 grand. So yeah, I guess I will just save up for an ls1.

Now back to the real question. Camaro or firebird

Pewter
    2000 z28

I was joking about the 33lbs. I don't think it would really make a differance.

But yeah I think you guys are right about the ls1. There faster, newer, lighter, handle better, more reliable, better looking, and all that with better gas mileage. It's just that extra 4-5 grand. So yeah, I guess I will just save up for an ls1.

Now back to the real question. Camaro or firebird
    you son of a bitch. im sitting here with a burst blood vessel in my head and you wanna change subjects?????? ha ha jk. anyway i have a z but i love t/a. im torn. do you wanna look aggressive or downright scary??? cops are too scurred to pull over ram air t/a's. im scared too just thinking about the front clip

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Firebird = Snake scaring you on the street
    Camaro = Snake waiting for you behind the bushes

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

in a word.....YES.
    I agree 100%
    Borla XR-1 energy bushings UMI B&M Spohn suspension techniques eibach edelbroc K&N Richmond Eaton F.A.S.T FlashTuner NGK MSD SLP J&M - I owe it all to my mentor- my dad.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

You could skip both + get a mustang.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mystic-z View Post

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by mystic-z View Post
    I figured that would raise some eyebrows.
    Only took 2 mins for a reply, Which was a punch in the smiley face.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Hey this is the 220th post to this thread!!! I would like to thank all of those who participated in this thread. I would also like to thank my family, without them I probably wouldn't even have a computer. And most importantly. I would like to thank my best friend Aaron for telling me abou this site. (even though he isn't even a memeber)

When does it become a sticky?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread Information