Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Faster C5 Or Ss?

This is a discussion on Faster C5 Or Ss? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I was off a bit, not by much....

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

I was off a bit, not by much.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I raced a C5 vette in my Z when all I had was a Lid and free mods. I know he had at least and exhaust and Z06 rims (not a perf mod of course). I beat him 2 out of 3 races. The only one I lost was the one from a roll when he got the hit on me. I beat him the other 2 times with 2.73's. Both were autos.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

yes these are obviously same engines as we all know, The vette loses some more power in the drivetrain due to rotational mass of torque tube and different rear end than fbody. Plus also there are variances in production power levels from engine to engine, for example you may have an fbody that came from the factory on the high end of the acceptable compression ratio with a little wider bearing clearance in the bottom end resulting in less friction and a factory ringer, vs a vette that may have been on lower side of acceptable compression ratio and has a tighter bottom end resulting in vette getting smoked especially with hwy gears in it, could go either way.
    My 98 z28 M6 is one of those ringers, I have blwn some vettes doors off no problem when I was stock. Keep in mind that firebird in the dyno test put down 292 there have been fbodies that put down well over 300 completely stock, but could be variance in dynos as we all know but it has been duplicated many times. Not to say that many vettes wont put down 300 cause the will. Lining them up in real life tells the real tale though vette should win with lighter weight but not always the case!
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-07-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    The LS1 engine initially produced 345 hp, but that was increased slightly in 2001 to 350 hp (261 kW). So in other words, they have the Same power, a 99 would have 345hp and the camaro is bout the same, this might sound stupid, but i would put my money on a SS, just because all the races i have seen, ''stock vs stock'' camaro ss vs c5 vette, the camaro is just as good or better.
    Every race I have seen between the two, victories always go to the SS's. Every race I have been in, victories go to the SS's. Just what I have seen, driver mod maybe the difference. I would say its a drivers race.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

[QUOTE=CamaroFan71;1502014]Wow factor?? The ONLY vette I ever give a second glance to is the new Z06. Otherwise I'll turn my neck to the breaking point to spy out the nearest F-Body.

Yes I agree as fellow fbody owner, but you have to figure the average citizen or a lot of pu$$y is gona get more wowed with the vette when you are cruising around, yea its kinda lame but true but its perceived as more expensive car so you may get more admirerers, gold diggers and haters alike but comes with the territory.
    But when I drive my Y2k SS ho's are jockin, kids are waving and fellow car owners are staring and waving so fbody is great for wow factor also I definately agree and i'm happy.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Every race I have seen between the two, victories always go to the SS's. Every race I have been in, victories go to the SS's. Just what I have seen, driver mod maybe the difference. I would say its a drivers race.
    you also have to take into consideration that while most f-body owners mod their cars, most vette owners dont.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

[QUOTE=BlwnCamaro;1502274]
    Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    Wow factor?? The ONLY vette I ever give a second glance to is the new Z06. Otherwise I'll turn my neck to the breaking point to spy out the nearest F-Body.

Yes I agree as fellow fbody owner, but you have to figure the average citizen or a lot of pu$$y is gona get more wowed with the vette when you are cruising around, yea its kinda lame but true but its perceived as more expensive car so you may get more admirerers, gold diggers and haters alike but comes with the territory.
    But when I drive my Y2k SS ho's are jockin, kids are waving and fellow car owners are staring and waving so fbody is great for wow factor also I definately agree and i'm happy.
    back when i had the vette, i would get scoped out way more than my formula.

Senior Member Blown Interceptor's Avatar

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Are you forgetting the significant weight difference? Stock vs. stock, the corvette would win. The only stock corvette that a stock SS has a chance against would be the 96 and lower, with the crappy LT motors. There is more to going fast than just horsepower.

1999 Black Camaro SS

Lid, Fast Toys, 3.90's, N20

More to come!!!!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    My 98 was a GU5 = 3.42 (only came in auto), nasty car off the line. Smoking people with a coffee in your hand, damn I miss that !, also gave you the aluminum driveshaft.
    My 98 is an M6 and the gear code on the door sticker is GU6. I'd like to know where you got your information. What I've been able to find states that for V8 F-bodies an A4 equipped car had either GU2 (2.73) stock or GU5 (3.23) optional and the M6 was GU6 (3.42) only from the factory.

FYI: GU2 (2.73) = steel driveshaft and GU5 (3.23 optional gear) = aluminum driveshaft with an A4 tranny. GU6 = 3.42.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 06-07-2008 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Corrected info

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by criticalss View Post
    Whats Faster A Stock 2001 Camaro Ss Or A 1999 C5 Corvette Both Automatic Both Bone Stock?
    bone stock.... the cars are pretty equal in power. the camaro has a live axle. the vette has a weight advantage.

thus, the cars are pretty damn even matched, i say drivers race. better driver would win in either car.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    you also have to take into consideration that while most f-body owners mod their cars, most vette owners dont.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

^^Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    My 98 is an M6 and the gear code on the door sticker is GU6. I'd like to know where you got your information. What I've been able to find states that for V8 F-bodies an A4 equipped car had either GU2 (2.73) stock or GU5 (3.23) optional and the M6 was GU6 (3.42) only from the factory.

FYI: GU2 (2.73) = steel driveshaft and GU5 (3.23 optional gear) = aluminum driveshaft with an A4 tranny. GU6 = 3.42.
    YOU r correct, it was a 3.23 my BAD.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

The original post compared a '99 C5 to an '01 SS.

Did the '99 C5 have the LS6 intake manifold?

If not, there is going to be a bit of a horsepower advantage to the SS.

Personally, I never gave the C5 a second look. The C6 on the other hand looks great.

Now that I have an LS powered car, I notice ALL LS powered cars!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    The original post compared a '99 C5 to an '01 SS.

Did the '99 C5 have the LS6 intake manifold?

If not, there is going to be a bit of a horsepower advantage to the SS.

Personally, I never gave the C5 a second look. The C6 on the other hand looks great.

Now that I have an LS powered car, I notice ALL LS powered cars!
    I say if both are bone stock and its a 99 vs 01, it would take a hell of a driver to beat the SS. It has LS6 intake and a few other differences for being 01. Or it would just need a shitty SS driver. Either way with all races its a drivers race but I would say in this case SS FTW.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I say if both are bone stock and its a 99 vs 01, it would take a hell of a driver to beat the SS. It has LS6 intake and a few other differences for being 01. Or it would just need a shitty SS driver. Either way with all races its a drivers race but I would say in this case SS FTW.
    both cars are auto driver shouldnt be big factor, just push gas and go LOL!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    both cars are auto driver shouldnt be big factor, just push gas and go LOL!

Gotcha, Maro FTW. C5 would need help.

i will hopefully be picking up an o2ss next week dont know if it will be faster than a c5 but it sure will be easier to put my 2 young girls in the back and cruise to a car show. thats why im not considering a vette.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by m1a2d3 View Post
    i will hopefully be picking up an o2ss next week dont know if it will be faster than a c5 but it sure will be easier to put my 2 young girls in the back and cruise to a car show. thats why im not considering a vette.

Yes thats what is nice about camaro, back seats come in handy LOL! Good luck

trying not to get to excited yet. ill post some pictures if it all works out

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information