Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Faster C5 Or Ss?

This is a discussion on Faster C5 Or Ss? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; since you are both autos it should be very close, with the gearing advantage going to the ss and weight ...

  1. #21
    Gold Member BlwnCamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Las Cruces,NM
    Age
    40
    Posts
    473

    Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

    since you are both autos it should be very close, with the gearing advantage going to the ss and weight advantage to c5. Plus since you are both autos driver difference is going to be nonexistant, if you cant drive auto you really cant drive then LOL!
    As far as a 3.42 geared 6spd z28 or ss vs an auto c5 with 2.73 gears its a devastating loss for vette if you can drive 6spd right. I handed my old boss his a$$ in my Z28 6spd against his auto C5 4 times in a row anywhere from 2-4 cars lengths. He was devastated and kept wanting to run em then he wanted to sell vette and he did and bought c6 and now wont race me because im all modded now! Its cause he doesnt want to be devastated with his new vette! Closest race between us was from his sweet spot around 25 roll with him in auto first. Anywhere else I was pulling him really bad. He said man If I knew those cars were that fast i wouldnt spent that much for vette and then he said now I know. I take pride in destroying vettes in my Camaro their look is priceless.
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-06-2008 at 04:39 PM.

  2. #22
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28importslayer View Post
    a newer camaro ss (98-02) is like 10-15k stock, a newer 98-04 corvette (40k-45k) personally i think its funny because look at the price of the vette and the SS is almost beating it ...
    your off on your pricing.
    c5 vettes were 40-45k brand new. they are cheaper now.
    also why do f-body owners always try to compare prices.
    they are 2 different cars. the only thing in common the two cars have is speed.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  3. #23
    Member Mr. Hyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Age
    57
    Posts
    913

    Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

    I'm gonna sound like an asshole...what else is new..but these threads always drive me nuts! I wish the person that starts the thread would be more specific.
    Do they mean which car is QUICKER? As in the 1/4 mile, or do they mean FASTER? As in top speed? In other words, which car did GM set the top speed limiter higher at is what this thread should have stated. Sorry guys, it just drives me f-in' crazy every time this stuff comes up.

  4. #24
    Gold Member BlwnCamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Las Cruces,NM
    Age
    40
    Posts
    473

    Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

    but 6spd to 6spd would be close with vette having weight advantage and is probably faster, many properly driven c5's at sea level have seen easy high 12's where it is more rare for bone stock fbody to see 12's, (see evan smith!)

    Oddly enough my SS A4 has 3.42's stock and it really screams. When I first bout it I had to get out and check codes for gearing cause it was hauling the most a$$ out of any stock auto fbody i'd driven. I raced a 2.73 A4 trans am in my SS and just destroyed him by many car lengths. Kinda a more rare setup as usually auto cars only go up to 3.23 option. It's almost kinda like the SS M6 with stock 3.73's that old boy on here didnt believe me bout. Anyone else have stock 3.42's on ther auto SS?

  5. #25
    Gold Member BlwnCamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Las Cruces,NM
    Age
    40
    Posts
    473

    Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    I'm gonna sound like an asshole...what else is new..but these threads always drive me nuts! I wish the person that starts the thread would be more specific.
    Do they mean which car is QUICKER? As in the 1/4 mile, or do they mean FASTER? As in top speed? In other words, which car did GM set the top speed limiter higher at is what this thread should have stated. Sorry guys, it just drives me f-in' crazy every time this stuff comes up.

    its safe to assume Most guys on here are probably thinking stoplight type dig race in approx. quarter or maybe some rolls in the 25-60 range. Obviously the vette has more top end because of gearing and aerodynamics and limitations but people dont race to 170 like on fast and furious. Its a close race guys i've ran dozens and dozens of vettes and im not exaggerating
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-06-2008 at 04:57 PM.

  6. #26
    Gold Member BlwnCamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Las Cruces,NM
    Age
    40
    Posts
    473

    Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    your off on your pricing.
    c5 vettes were 40-45k brand new. they are cheaper now.
    also why do f-body owners always try to compare prices.
    they are 2 different cars. the only thing in common the two cars have is speed.

    Your right in price issue but fbody owners compare because they are sharing almost same drivetrain for a fraction of price and many vette owners are very cocky and look down on fbody so its great to put them in there place for pennies on dollar.

  7. #27
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    SS=Poor man's Corvette
    Back in late 66 early 67 when the 67 Camaro had 1st came out there was a magazine ad that contained those very words. It shows a red Camaro RS/SS with the caption: Poor man's Corvette?

    I collect 67 Camaro memorabilia (beings I'm into 67 Camaros) and have this ad.

  8. #28
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    Your right in price issue but fbody owners compare because they are sharing almost same drivetrain for a fraction of price and many vette owners are very cocky and look down on fbody so its great to put them in there place for pennies on dollar.
    heres the thing, vette owners arent doing the dollar to h.p ratio like f-body owners are.
    drive trains are basically the same, but thats where it ends.
    back when i had my 02 C5 with just drag tires i was doing 12.88 and really doing f-bodies badly.
    it was a six speed.

  9. #29
    Gold Member BlwnCamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Las Cruces,NM
    Age
    40
    Posts
    473

    Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    heres the thing, vette owners arent doing the dollar to h.p ratio like f-body owners are.
    drive trains are basically the same, but thats where it ends.
    back when i had my 02 C5 with just drag tires i was doing 12.88 and really doing f-bodies badly.
    it was a six speed.

    Oh I believe you brother I was sayin c5 m6 is solid high 12 second car. Furthermore your getting crazy cornering and suspension, better interior, higher top speed, more wow factor and more. Clearly the vette is higher class car and gm did a great job especially with new ones. It's cool caus the vette beats out expensive euro rides so it too gets the bang for buck comparison against 100k plus cars so it is similar. Its just great to run em right there with fbody but i have much love for vette too. Peace

  10. #30
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    but 6spd to 6spd would be close with vette having weight advantage and is probably faster, many properly driven c5's at sea level have seen easy high 12's where it is more rare for bone stock fbody to see 12's, (see evan smith!)

    Oddly enough my SS A4 has 3.42's stock and it really screams. When I first bout it I had to get out and check codes for gearing cause it was hauling the most a$$ out of any stock auto fbody i'd driven. I raced a 2.73 A4 trans am in my SS and just destroyed him by many car lengths. Kinda a more rare setup as usually auto cars only go up to 3.23 option. It's almost kinda like the SS M6 with stock 3.73's that old boy on here didnt believe me bout. Anyone else have stock 3.42's on ther auto SS?
    I'd have to see proof to believe this as the factory didn't put 3.42's in A4 cars just as they didn't put 3.73's in M6 cars. I don't rule out the possibility of a dealer taking a new car and doing it though.

    At any rate this was about stock auto Vette vs stock auto SS. Vette would be 3.15 gear while SS would be 3.23. Pretty close but the Vette weighs less and has freer flowing exhaust.

  11. #31
    Gold Member BlwnCamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Las Cruces,NM
    Age
    40
    Posts
    473

    Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I'd have to see proof to believe this as the factory didn't put 3.42's in A4 cars just as they didn't put 3.73's in M6 cars. I don't rule out the possibility of a dealer taking a new car and doing it though.

    At any rate this was about stock auto Vette vs stock auto SS. Vette would be 3.15 gear while SS would be 3.23. Pretty close but the Vette weighs less and has freer flowing exhaust.

    Have code on door will post pics of my ss with stock 3.42's, didnt buy ss m6 with 3.73's but saw with my own eyes and wouldnt steer you guys wrong. Slp was probably setting them up like that with other ss mods but on my car it says right code for 3.42 and it screams with those gears. As far as vette gearing I could be wrong as I am more read on Fbodies.

  12. #32
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    Oh I believe you brother I was sayin c5 m6 is solid high 12 second car. Furthermore your getting crazy cornering and suspension, better interior, higher top speed, more wow factor and more. Clearly the vette is higher class car and gm did a great job especially with new ones. It's cool caus the vette beats out expensive euro rides so it too gets the bang for buck comparison against 100k plus cars so it is similar. Its just great to run em right there with fbody but i have much love for vette too. Peace
    im glad you posted above, not many f-body owners take in consideration what you wrote above.
    driving a vette and f-body is nite and day.

  13. #33
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    67CamaroRSSS is correct, for an auto C5 the gear is 2.73 or 3.15.

  14. #34
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Like I said I don't rule out the dealer puting in a different gear, but I've never seen a GU5 (5/6? I forget) code with an auto, only GU2 (2.73) and GU4 (3.23). I don't claim to know everything though.

    I put 3.73's in my 02. It was a big change from the 2.73's it started out with.

  15. #35
    Gold Member BlwnCamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Las Cruces,NM
    Age
    40
    Posts
    473

    Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    67CamaroRSSS is correct, for an auto C5 the gear is 2.73 or 3.15.
    yes I stated 2.73 for auto vette originally

  16. #36
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    SS=Poor man's Corvette
    Not hardly

  17. #37
    Senior Member Danger731's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    6,712
    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Like I said I don't rule out the dealer puting in a different gear, but I've never seen a GU5 (5/6? I forget) code with an auto, only GU2 (2.73) and GU4 (3.23). I don't claim to know everything though.

    I put 3.73's in my 02. It was a big change from the 2.73's it started out with.
    My 98 was a GU5 = 3.42 (only came in auto), nasty car off the line. Smoking people with a coffee in your hand, damn I miss that !, also gave you the aluminum driveshaft.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red

    2009 CTS4 Ice Black

    2013 1500 Silverado Z71

    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

  18. #38
    I flame retards CamaroFan71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    1,068

    QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    Oh I believe you brother I was sayin c5 m6 is solid high 12 second car. Furthermore your getting crazy cornering and suspension, better interior, higher top speed, more wow factor and more. Clearly the vette is higher class car and gm did a great job especially with new ones. It's cool caus the vette beats out expensive euro rides so it too gets the bang for buck comparison against 100k plus cars so it is similar. Its just great to run em right there with fbody but i have much love for vette too. Peace
    Wow factor?? The ONLY vette I ever give a second glance to is the new Z06. Otherwise I'll turn my neck to the breaking point to spy out the nearest F-Body.

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Not hardly
    Some people eh man??

  19. #39
    Member kensz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mississipi
    Posts
    181

    Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

    Dyno's don't lie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    Tell the HP #'s to the JBA mustang dyno...
    I have somewhere in my house an article from I believe CAR CRAFT from 1998. They dyno tested a bunch of new cars. The GTP grand prix, a T/A and a C5 to name a few. Anyway ,the Trans Am laid down 294rwhp to the Vettes 286. So the article wen't on to say that "either we have a ringer, or the vette is seriously overrated and the pontiac underrated from the factory". I could find it if anyone doubts my story. Just google it, I'm sure someone can find the article.

  20. #40
    Member kensz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mississipi
    Posts
    181

    Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: which is faster?
    By bballking_2007 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 09:50 AM
  2. Getting faster
    By Blown 98 Z in forum Rocky Mountain Members
    Replies: 139
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 06:44 PM
  3. Which is faster?!
    By Mike's02Z28M6 in forum Western Members
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-05-2007, 09:17 PM
  4. Need car to go faster
    By 01vette in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 05:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •