Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Faster C5 Or Ss?

This is a discussion on Faster C5 Or Ss? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; since you are both autos it should be very close, with the gearing advantage going to the ss and weight ...

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

since you are both autos it should be very close, with the gearing advantage going to the ss and weight advantage to c5. Plus since you are both autos driver difference is going to be nonexistant, if you cant drive auto you really cant drive then LOL!
    As far as a 3.42 geared 6spd z28 or ss vs an auto c5 with 2.73 gears its a devastating loss for vette if you can drive 6spd right. I handed my old boss his a$$ in my Z28 6spd against his auto C5 4 times in a row anywhere from 2-4 cars lengths. He was devastated and kept wanting to run em then he wanted to sell vette and he did and bought c6 and now wont race me because im all modded now! Its cause he doesnt want to be devastated with his new vette! Closest race between us was from his sweet spot around 25 roll with him in auto first. Anywhere else I was pulling him really bad. He said man If I knew those cars were that fast i wouldnt spent that much for vette and then he said now I know. I take pride in destroying vettes in my Camaro their look is priceless.
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-06-2008 at 04:39 PM.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28importslayer View Post
    a newer camaro ss (98-02) is like 10-15k stock, a newer 98-04 corvette (40k-45k) personally i think its funny because look at the price of the vette and the SS is almost beating it ...
    your off on your pricing.
    c5 vettes were 40-45k brand new. they are cheaper now.
    also why do f-body owners always try to compare prices.
    they are 2 different cars. the only thing in common the two cars have is speed.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I'm gonna sound like an asshole...what else is new..but these threads always drive me nuts! I wish the person that starts the thread would be more specific.
    Do they mean which car is QUICKER? As in the 1/4 mile, or do they mean FASTER? As in top speed? In other words, which car did GM set the top speed limiter higher at is what this thread should have stated. Sorry guys, it just drives me f-in' crazy every time this stuff comes up.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

but 6spd to 6spd would be close with vette having weight advantage and is probably faster, many properly driven c5's at sea level have seen easy high 12's where it is more rare for bone stock fbody to see 12's, (see evan smith!)

Oddly enough my SS A4 has 3.42's stock and it really screams. When I first bout it I had to get out and check codes for gearing cause it was hauling the most a$$ out of any stock auto fbody i'd driven. I raced a 2.73 A4 trans am in my SS and just destroyed him by many car lengths. Kinda a more rare setup as usually auto cars only go up to 3.23 option. It's almost kinda like the SS M6 with stock 3.73's that old boy on here didnt believe me bout. Anyone else have stock 3.42's on ther auto SS?

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    I'm gonna sound like an asshole...what else is new..but these threads always drive me nuts! I wish the person that starts the thread would be more specific.
    Do they mean which car is QUICKER? As in the 1/4 mile, or do they mean FASTER? As in top speed? In other words, which car did GM set the top speed limiter higher at is what this thread should have stated. Sorry guys, it just drives me f-in' crazy every time this stuff comes up.

its safe to assume Most guys on here are probably thinking stoplight type dig race in approx. quarter or maybe some rolls in the 25-60 range. Obviously the vette has more top end because of gearing and aerodynamics and limitations but people dont race to 170 like on fast and furious. Its a close race guys i've ran dozens and dozens of vettes and im not exaggerating
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-06-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    your off on your pricing.
    c5 vettes were 40-45k brand new. they are cheaper now.
    also why do f-body owners always try to compare prices.
    they are 2 different cars. the only thing in common the two cars have is speed.

Your right in price issue but fbody owners compare because they are sharing almost same drivetrain for a fraction of price and many vette owners are very cocky and look down on fbody so its great to put them in there place for pennies on dollar.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    SS=Poor man's Corvette
    Back in late 66 early 67 when the 67 Camaro had 1st came out there was a magazine ad that contained those very words. It shows a red Camaro RS/SS with the caption: Poor man's Corvette?

I collect 67 Camaro memorabilia (beings I'm into 67 Camaros) and have this ad.

black

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    Your right in price issue but fbody owners compare because they are sharing almost same drivetrain for a fraction of price and many vette owners are very cocky and look down on fbody so its great to put them in there place for pennies on dollar.
    heres the thing, vette owners arent doing the dollar to h.p ratio like f-body owners are.
    drive trains are basically the same, but thats where it ends.
    back when i had my 02 C5 with just drag tires i was doing 12.88 and really doing f-bodies badly.
    it was a six speed.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

heres the thing, vette owners arent doing the dollar to h.p ratio like f-body owners are.
    drive trains are basically the same, but thats where it ends.
    back when i had my 02 C5 with just drag tires i was doing 12.88 and really doing f-bodies badly.
    it was a six speed.

Oh I believe you brother I was sayin c5 m6 is solid high 12 second car. Furthermore your getting crazy cornering and suspension, better interior, higher top speed, more wow factor and more. Clearly the vette is higher class car and gm did a great job especially with new ones. It's cool caus the vette beats out expensive euro rides so it too gets the bang for buck comparison against 100k plus cars so it is similar. Its just great to run em right there with fbody but i have much love for vette too. Peace

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

but 6spd to 6spd would be close with vette having weight advantage and is probably faster, many properly driven c5's at sea level have seen easy high 12's where it is more rare for bone stock fbody to see 12's, (see evan smith!)

Oddly enough my SS A4 has 3.42's stock and it really screams. When I first bout it I had to get out and check codes for gearing cause it was hauling the most a$$ out of any stock auto fbody i'd driven. I raced a 2.73 A4 trans am in my SS and just destroyed him by many car lengths. Kinda a more rare setup as usually auto cars only go up to 3.23 option. It's almost kinda like the SS M6 with stock 3.73's that old boy on here didnt believe me bout. Anyone else have stock 3.42's on ther auto SS?
    I'd have to see proof to believe this as the factory didn't put 3.42's in A4 cars just as they didn't put 3.73's in M6 cars. I don't rule out the possibility of a dealer taking a new car and doing it though.

At any rate this was about stock auto Vette vs stock auto SS. Vette would be 3.15 gear while SS would be 3.23. Pretty close but the Vette weighs less and has freer flowing exhaust.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I'd have to see proof to believe this as the factory didn't put 3.42's in A4 cars just as they didn't put 3.73's in M6 cars. I don't rule out the possibility of a dealer taking a new car and doing it though.

At any rate this was about stock auto Vette vs stock auto SS. Vette would be 3.15 gear while SS would be 3.23. Pretty close but the Vette weighs less and has freer flowing exhaust.

Have code on door will post pics of my ss with stock 3.42's, didnt buy ss m6 with 3.73's but saw with my own eyes and wouldnt steer you guys wrong. Slp was probably setting them up like that with other ss mods but on my car it says right code for 3.42 and it screams with those gears. As far as vette gearing I could be wrong as I am more read on Fbodies.

black

Oh I believe you brother I was sayin c5 m6 is solid high 12 second car. Furthermore your getting crazy cornering and suspension, better interior, higher top speed, more wow factor and more. Clearly the vette is higher class car and gm did a great job especially with new ones. It's cool caus the vette beats out expensive euro rides so it too gets the bang for buck comparison against 100k plus cars so it is similar. Its just great to run em right there with fbody but i have much love for vette too. Peace
    im glad you posted above, not many f-body owners take in consideration what you wrote above.
    driving a vette and f-body is nite and day.

black

67CamaroRSSS is correct, for an auto C5 the gear is 2.73 or 3.15.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Like I said I don't rule out the dealer puting in a different gear, but I've never seen a GU5 (5/6? I forget) code with an auto, only GU2 (2.73) and GU4 (3.23). I don't claim to know everything though.

I put 3.73's in my 02. It was a big change from the 2.73's it started out with.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

67CamaroRSSS is correct, for an auto C5 the gear is 2.73 or 3.15.
    yes I stated 2.73 for auto vette originally

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    SS=Poor man's Corvette
    Not hardly

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Like I said I don't rule out the dealer puting in a different gear, but I've never seen a GU5 (5/6? I forget) code with an auto, only GU2 (2.73) and GU4 (3.23). I don't claim to know everything though.

I put 3.73's in my 02. It was a big change from the 2.73's it started out with.
    My 98 was a GU5 = 3.42 (only came in auto), nasty car off the line. Smoking people with a coffee in your hand, damn I miss that !, also gave you the aluminum driveshaft.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red

2009 CTS4 Ice Black

2013 1500 Silverado Z71

02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Wow factor?? The ONLY vette I ever give a second glance to is the new Z06. Otherwise I'll turn my neck to the breaking point to spy out the nearest F-Body.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Not hardly
    Some people eh man??

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Dyno's don't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    Tell the HP #'s to the JBA mustang dyno...
    I have somewhere in my house an article from I believe CAR CRAFT from 1998. They dyno tested a bunch of new cars. The GTP grand prix, a T/A and a C5 to name a few. Anyway ,the Trans Am laid down 294rwhp to the Vettes 286. So the article wen't on to say that "either we have a ringer, or the vette is seriously overrated and the pontiac underrated from the factory". I could find it if anyone doubts my story. Just google it, I'm sure someone can find the article.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information