Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which exhaust is right for me?

This is a discussion on Which exhaust is right for me? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have a 98 z28 ls1 and have recently upgraded the intake system. So now that I have more air ...

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Question Which exhaust is right for me?

I have a 98 z28 ls1 and have recently upgraded the intake system. So now that I have more air coming in I want to upgrade the exhaust. I am torn between the Borla, SLP Loudmouth and Magnaflow cat back systems. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

maganaflow, it has a nice rumble to it.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

What future mods do you have planned? Are you going to be doing headers, or removing cats in the future?
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    What future mods do you have planned? Are you going to be doing headers, or removing cats in the future?
    The only thing i plan to do next after the cat-back system is possibly get a shift kit because my car is an A-4.

silver
    89 BII, 02 SS

I would say Corsa or Hooker, but you don't have either one of those as a choice, so I would pick magnaflow

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98_Z28_ls1 View Post
    The only thing i plan to do next after the cat-back system is possibly get a shift kit because my car is an A-4.
    If you plan to keep the stock manifolds and keep your cats, I would recommend the Loudmouth out of your 3 options. It sounds great with cats and stock manifolds.

If you plan to get long tubes and remove your cats at some point, most people don't like the Loudmouth catback with that combo, its LOUD and raspy. Some do like it though, but most don't.

Borla and Magnaflow are both good, I would listen to soundclips of both at LS1sounds.com to help your decision there. Hope all this helps out.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    I would say Corsa or Hooker, but you don't have either one of those as a choice, so I would pick magnaflow
    Ok, so out of all cat back systems, which one gives you the most torque and horsepower? thanks

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

im sure their all very similar in hp/torque #'s. i would go with loudmouth

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

instead of getting a catback, get a tci stall converter. a streetfighter 3000 rpm will cost you around 500. a shift kit and trans cooler will be about another 150.
    a stall will make even youre stock exhaust louder because it stays in every gear longer and you will shave a good 1/2 second off your times.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    instead of getting a catback, get a tci stall converter. a streetfighter 3000 rpm will cost you around 500. a shift kit and trans cooler will be about another 150.
    a stall will make even youre stock exhaust louder because it stays in every gear longer and you will shave a good 1/2 second off your times.
    +2 for a stall

Yank 3200 though

white/yellow
    96/2010 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 98_Z28_ls1 View Post
    Hey ive got a trans go stage 2 shift kit, brand new, if you want, ill sell it cheap. thanks, Jim

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I got a custom made Flowmaster catback and I like it. just bought a 80 series muffler and had my exhaust guy do it. he's been doing my family's exhausts for years so I knew he would do it right. and you get to choose your tips.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Magnaflow is what I have, loud when on it, not so loud when at idle. I found that after I added LT headers and didn't put the cats on the Magnaflow was really loud, but with the cats is perfect. Stainless steel, great warranty and good price, fit is good too.

white
    2002 z28

man i had flowmasters on my TA and just got a 02 Z. it came with eddlebrock 2 3/4 and honestly it sounds really proper. not to troughty but a real deep raor.

Loudmouth if u wanna stay stock.. im a stock m6 ss and its great..

sorry to high-jack.. but im gettin ready to upgrade the headers.. should i switch 2 borla? thats what i was thinkin.. im still lookin for that smooth rumble sound at idle and a head-jerking sound when u hit the gas.. any suggestions?

2001 WS6, 2003 SRT4(sold)

Don't go Flowmaster! The power sucks! I know personally - I just removed my 80-series muffler in favor of a magnaflow catback and the difference is substaintial.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by RandomOmen View Post
    Don't go Flowmaster! The power sucks! I know personally - I just removed my 80-series muffler in favor of a magnaflow catback and the difference is substaintial.
    I have a Flowmaster exhaust with an 80 Series Muffler on my car right now...you really noticed a difference just switching to a Magnaflow catback?? People say the 80 Series are restrictive, but its been on there since I bought the car, so I don't know personally.

I'll be getting LT headers and a True Dual exhaust in the near future anyway though, so its not too big of a deal.

black
    2000 camaro z28

i have borla...on my 2000 z28...its more expensive but your buying top quality...keep in mind with cats and the stock manifolds the borla peaks very nice but is definately the quietest out of those 3... but loud doesnt mean fast!! i think the slp loudmouth sounds like ass..its too loud.. the borla sound expensive...if thats possible...quality wise...borla all the way.. mine sounds great! and the power jump over stock was huge..it peforms great.....i also get alot of compliments at the track especially because not alot of camaros or firebirds have borla.

2001 WS6, 2003 SRT4(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I have a Flowmaster exhaust with an 80 Series Muffler on my car right now...you really noticed a difference just switching to a Magnaflow catback?? People say the 80 Series are restrictive, but its been on there since I bought the car, so I don't know personally.

I'll be getting LT headers and a True Dual exhaust in the near future anyway though, so its not too big of a deal.
    Yes, I definitely noticed a seat of the pants difference. It's so far been worth every penny. Get rid of that 80 series!

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

No LM for an A4. +3 on a stall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information