black
    1999 camaro ss

exhaust question from a newbie

Hi all,

I am wondering then benefit of changing over from my stock exhaust to a 2.5" true dual system. How much gain could I expect from this change...also I will be for now retaining the factory manifolds and losing the cats. Anyone have any idea if this is a worthwhile venture and how much would one expect to spend?

Thanks for any experienced input!

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by racingrev View Post
    Hi all,

I am wondering then benefit of changing over from my stock exhaust to a 2.5" true dual system. How much gain could I expect from this change...also I will be for now retaining the factory manifolds and losing the cats. Anyone have any idea if this is a worthwhile venture and how much would one expect to spend?

Well if your doing the exhaust you might as well try to change everything while you can. It is better to replace all the factory OEM equipment, and you don't really want to do it by piece since you would have to take it all apart then put it back together each time. I don't have a TD system, but I replaced the headers, and the whole exhaust system. It is all 3", and I have Dynatech Headers (Which I got a deal on for alittle over $500), and Borla exhaust system ($1,200 roughly) It alows for better flowing through your exhaust, and you will see the difference compaired to a stock setup. They said with Borla it is like a 7-10% HP increase or something.. however if you do the exhaust you might as well do the air induction too..

black
    1999 camaro ss

Thanks for the input...already did the induction thing (SLP lid, high flow filter/smooth bellows) and I already have what I think is considered a tru dual set up with center mount exhasut at back/y-pipe. Just looking at original manifolds and cats still on the car...not sure why that wasnt changed at same time as the rest.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

well if you already have a true dual system then i would just get LT's for it and an off road y-pipe
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Just to throw my .02 in, if you have a Y pipe, thats not a true dual set up, you would need an X pipe or an H pipe for it to be true duals.

black
    1999 camaro ss

That is kinda what I though I was surprised when the exhaust guy I took my car to said he would consider it dual...

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well, the reason its not "true duals" is because the y pipe goes into one pipe, then, for most mufflers, splits into two tips. I run LT's with an ORY, I love it. But I have heard true dual set ups and they sound amazing, so you cant lose either way

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

If you want to spend more money get true duals.

Or you can get a really nice Magnaflow Cat back for around $450

black
    1999 camaro ss

What is an ORY?

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

ORY is short for Off Road Y pipe

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by racingrev View Post
    Hi all,

IMO, if you want hp increases there are other things that you can do first that will give you better numbers than installing a true dual set-up. The biggest change you will notice with exhaust is sound, and that should be what you should focus on with exhaust, find one that you like. dont look at the 5 hp differences in different companies.

but that was just my opinion.

black
    1999 camaro ss

I love the sound of the car already. The only reason I was considering the headers was due to HP gains for a smaller amount of bucks (I dont have a ton to spend...). I was under the impression that there was 10 or so HP to be gained...

Another question i have is regarding clearance issues. I have heard many recommendations on LT headers, however I do want to lower the car as well. If I install long tubes is there going to be anussue with speed bumps, driveways, etc. Should a guy consider shorties for that reason?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

shorties is a waste of money. you will be fine with LT's...Do it all at once....if you dont you will have to modify your pipe set up to fit the LT's b/c they will be longer....it will end up costing you more if you get a set up made for your stock manifolds and then get LT's

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    shorties is a waste of money. you will be fine with LT's...Do it all at once....if you dont you will have to modify your pipe set up to fit the LT's b/c they will be longer....it will end up costing you more if you get a set up made for your stock manifolds and then get LT's

Thread Information