Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57

enlighten me please

This is a discussion on enlighten me please within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; tHanks for the insight ls1. I guess what I got out of it is it just isn't the same. To ...

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    50

    blue
    2000 camaro

    tHanks for the insight ls1. I guess what I got out of it is it just isn't the same. To me the SS is a performance package of the z28, so I believe it should be a superior car no matter what. Performance package should be suspension work and more horsepower, this is where I see a flaw in the fourth gen SS, even though it was an option by slp, it shouldn't have been it should come equipped just because you're buying the super sport package if u didn't want it then u have the choice of the regular z28 and that should of been that. But this is my opinion. off topic but Do y'all know which car was the first to sport the ss badge.

  2. #22
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,589

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    1961 Impala

  3. #23
    Senior Member snaggeltooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    7,203

    Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    1961 Impala

  4. #24
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    1961 Impala
    While you're correct regarding Cheverolet, Mercedes Benz sported an SS model in the late 20's.

    http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...-Benz-SSK.aspx

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Age
    54
    Posts
    464

    BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

    Ss != ssk

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    harrisburg pa.
    Age
    61
    Posts
    868

    black
    02 vette vert

    i don't know which is the low point for a once proud muscle car, what they did to it just hanging around to die in the '74my, or 'bringing it back' in '77 as a sticker package.

  7. #27
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    Ss != ssk
    If you checked the article out you'd note that they had an S, an SS and an SSK, all versions of the same model with the SSK (Super Sport Kurz - kurz being german for short) being the smallest and fastest.

  8. #28
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    i don't know which is the low point for a once proud muscle car, what they did to it just hanging around to die in the '74my, or 'bringing it back' in '77 as a sticker package.
    The 73 model Z28 had a low compression solid lifter engine while the 74 was a hydraulic lifter version of the same engine (this limited RPM capability). They cancelled the option as they didn't want to downgrade any further what was once a small block race car.

    The 77 model Z28 actually had an engine with better internals and a slightly hotter cam which produced 15hp (net) over the basic 4 bbl 350.

    Like I stated above it was brought back as a mid-year car in response to the Trans Am.

  9. #29
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    If you doubt that the term "SS" was applied to a car prior to Chevrolet's usage then I suggest you obtain a copy of Terry V. Boyce's "Chevy Super Sports 1961-1976". My copy is from 1981 and I bought it at the local Chevy dealership in 1981. In a part of the book's preface titled "The First Super Sport?" he outlines prior usage by Oldsmobile in the 20's as well as the moniker being applied to several European racing machines as well as pre-war Jaguars.

    This book should be a part of any gearheads library.

    AAMOF, I believe the author rewrote and rerealeased the book in the mid to late 90's in conjunction with the Impala SS and Camaro SS being reborn.

  10. #30
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    The 73 model Z28 had a low compression solid lifter engine while the 74 was a hydraulic lifter version of the same engine (this limited RPM capability). They cancelled the option as they didn't want to downgrade any further what was once a small block race car.
    Don't mean to be picky Jim, but 72 was the last year for the solid lifter engine. I had a 72 Z28 that my sister was nice enough to total for me, ugh...I still have the complete drivetrain from that car sitting in the shop.
    They were identical to the 70 version, just 9:1 compression instead of 11:1. Still ran the solid cam, aluminum intake, 780 holley, 2.02 heads, pink rods etc...Very nice running engine package for what it was. Last year for a real LT1.

    When they went hydraulic in 73, they also went to a cast iron intake with a quadrajet, but it still had the 2.02 heads. This engine was used in the corvette too just as the LT1 was,,,and it was dubbed the L82. Still a decent running engine considering the smog era was upon us.

  11. #31
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Sorry Larry. Chalk it up to "Oldtimers" disease...

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    harrisburg pa.
    Age
    61
    Posts
    868

    black
    02 vette vert

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    The 73 model Z28 had a low compression solid lifter engine while the 74 was a hydraulic lifter version of the same engine (this limited RPM capability). They cancelled the option as they didn't want to downgrade any further what was once a small block race car.

    The 77 model Z28 actually had an engine with better internals and a slightly hotter cam which produced 15hp (net) over the basic 4 bbl 350.

    Like I stated above it was brought back as a mid-year car in response to the Trans Am.
    hmm, i know how the downgrade went from 70 1/2 to 74 [ styling change wasn't exactly an upgrade either ], but i didn't recall anything under the hood of 77.
    maybe if the stickers weren't so gaudy it may have been more memorable.
    of course now that i think about it, the 74 was a sticker mess too wasn't it?

  13. #33
    Senior Member snaggeltooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    7,203

    Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

    Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    hmm, i know how the downgrade went from 70 1/2 to 74 [ styling change wasn't exactly an upgrade either ], but i didn't recall anything under the hood of 77.
    maybe if the stickers weren't so gaudy it may have been more memorable.
    of course now that i think about it, the 74 was a sticker mess too wasn't it?

  14. #34
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I kinda dug the sticker Z's. I remember they weren't well received at the time but to see one now is a rare treat indeed.
    More of these are starting to be restored, and Phoenix Graphics is offering the decal packages now too. So there is a following for them it seems.

    For the record, 72 was also the last year for the small chrome bumpers, and the optional RS package that had the split bumper front, (mine didn't have it) In 73 they went to the larger crash impact bumpers and a slight styling change. 74 was the last year for the small back window, what some consider to be the best design that only lasted from 70-74.
    75 went to the larger back window that was somewhat less attractive.

  15. #35
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Reminds me of the Monza Spyders I had from the late 70's with the large Spyder decals on the hood and all around the car.
    Ah the sticker era of the 70's. There is just something cool about it now. I actually wouldn't mind owning a mid to late 70's Z just to be a little different from everything else. Would make a great daily driver.

  16. #36
    Senior Member snaggeltooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    7,203

    Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Reminds me of the Monza Spyders I had from the late 70's with the large Spyder decals on the hood and all around the car.
    Ah the sticker era of the 70's. There is just something cool about it now. I actually wouldn't mind owning a mid to late 70's Z just to be a little different from everything else. Would make a great daily driver.
    that stupid 5mph bumper thing killed the looks of the mid 70s f-bodys ...

  17. #37
    Senior Member snaggeltooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    7,203

    Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Reminds me of the Monza Spyders I had from the late 70's with the large Spyder decals on the hood and all around the car.
    Ah the sticker era of the 70's. There is just something cool about it now. I actually wouldn't mind owning a mid to late 70's Z just to be a little different from everything else. Would make a great daily driver.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

    Monza Spyder page .... And they say the Cobra II was ugly

  18. #38
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

    Monza Spyder page .... And they say the Cobra II was ugly
    Yep, that's some cool stuff. I sold my last spyder about 5 years ago. Just don't see them anymore. Great power to weight ratio when you shove a little 406 in there

  19. #39
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    that stupid 5mph bumper thing killed the looks of the mid 70s f-bodys ...
    Ya for some people. I still primarily own pre 72 muscle, but I've had a 74 formula in the past. After a while that stuff kinda grows on ya. I didn't like them for the longest time. But now that newer cars got even more "Butt Ugly" the stuff from the 70's isn't all that bad looking all the sudden

    They have now grown in popularity, driving prices up. I'm glad to see it.

    It took me 5 years to accept the 97-98 4th gen camaro style changes. I'm still not a huge fan even though I own 2 of them. But I've gotten to the point where I can tollerate it

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    harrisburg pa.
    Age
    61
    Posts
    868

    black
    02 vette vert

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I kinda dug the sticker Z's. I remember they weren't well received at the time but to see one now is a rare treat indeed.
    More of these are starting to be restored, and Phoenix Graphics is offering the decal packages now too. So there is a following for them it seems.

    For the record, 72 was also the last year for the small chrome bumpers, and the optional RS package that had the split bumper front, (mine didn't have it) In 73 they went to the larger crash impact bumpers and a slight styling change. 74 was the last year for the small back window, what some consider to be the best design that only lasted from 70-74.
    75 went to the larger back window that was somewhat less attractive.
    no, 73 only set the front bumper away from the body a couple inches with a filler panel to cover the space, same bumper [ i think?]. the rear was unchanged. 74 was the nose and tail styling change and larger bumpers.
    back then the big stickers were like 'wtf are they doing to these cars?', but i agree that now it's somewhat cool, i guess cuz it's old. i think 80-81 was a nice refinement for an end to the generation.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 04-18-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. enlighten me...
    By jiveass in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 03:12 AM
  2. Sarge: Please enlighten these folks..
    By Zapper2003 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •