Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 96

Dual Exhaust ?

This is a discussion on Dual Exhaust ? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; $900 wow thats insane for an exhaust. how much would it be to have an exhaust shop weld you an ...

  1. #61
    Member DVrec21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    202

    Pewter
    99 z28

    $900 wow thats insane for an exhaust. how much would it be to have an exhaust shop weld you an X-pipe with full piping (no mufflers or cats). should be alot cheaper right?!?!

  2. #62
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post
    $900 wow thats insane for an exhaust. how much would it be to have an exhaust shop weld you an X-pipe with full piping (no mufflers or cats). should be alot cheaper right?!?!
    did'nt read that othe rpost "yup" I would have to say yes.. $900.00 for exhaust work is nuts.. Prolly mostly labor too.. Especially when I/you can get pipe for only a few bucks per foot..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  3. #63
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    did'nt read that othe rpost "yup" I would have to say yes.. $900.00 for exhaust work is nuts.. Prolly mostly labor too.. Especially when I/you can get pipe for only a few bucks per foot..
    It depends,,,are you comparing the $900 Bassani stainless setup to stainless piping from a muffler shop??

    Sure you could probably do it cheaper, with cheaper aluminized piping (which eventually corrodes over time), and you can find a shop that would bend something up, (probably crush bends as compared to Bassani's mandrel bends).

    It's all a matter of what you can put up with as far as quality, appearance, and of course, cost. Personal preference.

  4. #64
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    I don't mean to thread jack, but does anyone know where the heck I can find the muffler that comes on the bassani true dual setup, or any bassani muffler at all for that matter? I've looked for about a week now and I can't find any sellers, not even on ebay.
    I seriously doubt you will find the Bassani muffler sold seperately from any vendor. It's Bassani's design, more than likely only available throught them, and probably not seperately since it's made to use as a kit.

    I know what you are trying to do, and I've been down that road on an H-body monza. I can tell you what I did, if you want a transverse muffler it's probably your only option.

    The H-body Monza's share the same chassis design as the 3rd and 4th gen Fbodies, just on a smaller scale. They were the predecessor to this platform.
    I wanted true duals on mine, over the axle and out the back. These cars also used a transverse muffler in the rear, but the problem was,,,,No one on the planet even made an exhaust kit for these cars of any kind in any form,,,,,period. So no matter what I did it would have to be custom.

    I first took measurements in the muffler location to get an idea what would fit. Then I sat down with Flowmasters master catalog that lists every muffler they made complete with dimensions. At the time Flowmaster had the largest supply of aftermarket mufflers in various shapes and forms for just about every application.
    I found a muffler they made for a small SUV that fit my dimensions as well as the pipe sizing I was going to use. The muffler alone was $120, this was 7-8 years ago.

    Bought the muffler and took the car to a local shop who was a very good friend of mine, I knew I could work with him. I showed him what I needed, how I wanted it routed and so forth. No easy task to run dual pipes over the axle on a monza that is half the size of a 4th gen if you can imagine. Probably very hard nowadays to find a shop that would even touch it.

    In the end I think I spent ~$600 for the setup, and we are talking 7-8 years ago for crushed bends and aluminized piping. But it was unique and the only true dual H-body setup I was aware of,,,,hell the only H-body still on the road for that matter

    In all seriousness, finding a transverse muffler to do what you want would be easier now since alot of other companies have stepped up with this design since I fooled with it. Or you could always run a pair of small (in/out) mufflers on either side of the car just behind the rear bumper, and you should have enough room to squeeze tailpipes on it.

    My honest opinion though, if you don't want to coin up for a good dual exhaust system and want something cheaper. I'd do a 4" single Mufflex system. We ran a dozen 3" catbacks on a very stout 4th gen several years back and found the Mufflex 4" system outperformed them all, sounded mean, relatively cheap and good fitment.
    I never got the chance to compare it to the Bassani true dual system, quite frankly it was more than I wanted to spend for a simple test, and there weren't many out there at the time that I could borrow.

    In any event, If I were building a max effort 4th gen and wanted a nice system that went over the axle, I'd probably go straight for a Mufflex 4" system. They also make this system in a 3 1/2" setup. They have a wider choice of mufflers too since I last used them.
    If your heart is set on a real dual system, then in my opinion, Bassani is the way to go. It's nice that someone else stepped up to the plate with a similar setup (Kooks) but the price is a big turnoff.

  5. #65
    rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arlington,Texas
    Age
    26
    Posts
    815

    Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I seriously doubt you will find the Bassani muffler sold seperately from any vendor. It's Bassani's design, more than likely only available throught them, and probably not seperately since it's made to use as a kit.

    I know what you are trying to do, and I've been down that road on an H-body monza. I can tell you what I did, if you want a transverse muffler it's probably your only option.

    The H-body Monza's share the same chassis design as the 3rd and 4th gen Fbodies, just on a smaller scale. They were the predecessor to this platform.
    I wanted true duals on mine, over the axle and out the back. These cars also used a transverse muffler in the rear, but the problem was,,,,No one on the planet even made an exhaust kit for these cars of any kind in any form,,,,,period. So no matter what I did it would have to be custom.

    I first took measurements in the muffler location to get an idea what would fit. Then I sat down with Flowmasters master catalog that lists every muffler they made complete with dimensions. At the time Flowmaster had the largest supply of aftermarket mufflers in various shapes and forms for just about every application.
    I found a muffler they made for a small SUV that fit my dimensions as well as the pipe sizing I was going to use. The muffler alone was $120, this was 7-8 years ago.

    Bought the muffler and took the car to a local shop who was a very good friend of mine, I knew I could work with him. I showed him what I needed, how I wanted it routed and so forth. No easy task to run dual pipes over the axle on a monza that is half the size of a 4th gen if you can imagine. Probably very hard nowadays to find a shop that would even touch it.

    In the end I think I spent ~$600 for the setup, and we are talking 7-8 years ago for crushed bends and aluminized piping. But it was unique and the only true dual H-body setup I was aware of,,,,hell the only H-body still on the road for that matter

    In all seriousness, finding a transverse muffler to do what you want would be easier now since alot of other companies have stepped up with this design since I fooled with it. Or you could always run a pair of small (in/out) mufflers on either side of the car just behind the rear bumper, and you should have enough room to squeeze tailpipes on it.

    My honest opinion though, if you don't want to coin up for a good dual exhaust system and want something cheaper. I'd do a 4" single Mufflex system. We ran a dozen 3" catbacks on a very stout 4th gen several years back and found the Mufflex 4" system outperformed them all, sounded mean, relatively cheap and good fitment.
    I never got the chance to compare it to the Bassani true dual system, quite frankly it was more than I wanted to spend for a simple test, and there weren't many out there at the time that I could borrow.

    In any event, If I were building a max effort 4th gen and wanted a nice system that went over the axle, I'd probably go straight for a Mufflex 4" system. They also make this system in a 3 1/2" setup. They have a wider choice of mufflers too since I last used them.
    If your heart is set on a real dual system, then in my opinion, Bassani is the way to go. It's nice that someone else stepped up to the plate with a similar setup (Kooks) but the price is a big turnoff.
    wow thanks, but I'm not looking to do a true dual setup quite yet since I already have a full 3in system hooked up to the stock manifolds. I would just like to find a universal bullet style muffler from bassani to put onto the I-pipe while i'm in there installing headers. a Corsa muffler was my second choice, but $120 for a muffler! wow what are they smoking Lol that's almost as much as the ebay headers I'm looking at.

  6. #66
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It depends,,,are you comparing the $900 Bassani stainless setup to stainless piping from a muffler shop??

    Sure you could probably do it cheaper, with cheaper aluminized piping (which eventually corrodes over time), and you can find a shop that would bend something up, (probably crush bends as compared to Bassani's mandrel bends).

    It's all a matter of what you can put up with as far as quality, appearance, and of course, cost. Personal preference.
    I can do stainless for a few bucks a foot too. I have a supplier.. But I see your point..

  7. #67
    Junior Member 99_SSinful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    24

    Navy Metallic Blue
    1999 Camaro SS

    Hey everyone.. I havent been on in quite awhile.. I want to thank all of you for the imput.. we now have salt on the roads so I will not be taking the camaro out anymore this year so hopefully I have time to find a true dual set up that I want.. I also found on google shopping something that caught my eye.. the bowtie exhaust tips.. anyone have any expierence with them?

  8. #68
    rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arlington,Texas
    Age
    26
    Posts
    815

    Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 99_SSinful View Post
    Hey everyone.. I havent been on in quite awhile.. I want to thank all of you for the imput.. we now have salt on the roads so I will not be taking the camaro out anymore this year so hopefully I have time to find a true dual set up that I want.. I also found on google shopping something that caught my eye.. the bowtie exhaust tips.. anyone have any expierence with them?
    wow I just googled those, super tacky imo

  9. #69
    Junior Member 99_SSinful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    24

    Navy Metallic Blue
    1999 Camaro SS

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    wow I just googled those, super tacky imo
    I do agree that they look tacky being spread apart.. but with my car.. the duals come out closer together so it might not look soo bad... its just an idea for right now.. thanks for the opinion though

  10. #70
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Paying 900 for an exhaust is just plain crazy. Will it make a few more HP than a typical cat back sure, but its just not worth it.

    hell a person can get a magnaflow stainless system and a ls6 intake and make more power
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  11. #71
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ft worth tx
    Posts
    22

    maroon
    2001 z28

    help i guess lol

    ok im new too this and...can you do the duals dumped like in pics shown using stock exhaust manifolds i have a 01 z28 , and also im in texas anyone know if its legal?????

  12. #72
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by txmz28 View Post
    ok im new too this and...can you do the duals dumped like in pics shown using stock exhaust manifolds i have a 01 z28 , and also im in texas anyone know if its legal?????
    i dont think its legal in tx...b/c i know someone with them and he told me they were not soooo idk

    tsp and LPP sells a kit if you want...they go for about $400

  13. #73
    Senior Member bluehawk2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,492

    midnight blue
    2000 trans am

    I have the texas speed x pipe with the dynomax bullets and 1 7/8 LT and it cost me about 200 bucks to put on so over over a little over a grand with cats!!!


    Edit: Yea I have drank a few over over beers!!!

  14. #74
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by txmz28 View Post
    ok im new too this and...can you do the duals dumped like in pics shown using stock exhaust manifolds i have a 01 z28 , and also im in texas anyone know if its legal?????
    What i dont like about dual dumps is that you and whoever else is in the car get to smell it.

  15. #75
    Member DVrec21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    202

    Pewter
    99 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    the cheapest way is to have it custom done BUT alot of shops wont do true duals on these cars
    any chance that meineke will??

  16. #76
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post
    any chance that meineke will??
    i have no idea BUT im going to guess and say no

  17. #77
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    What i dont like about dual dumps is that you and whoever else is in the car get to smell it.
    Which is one of the reasons the true duals all the way out the back are beneficial.

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Paying 900 for an exhaust is just plain crazy. Will it make a few more HP than a typical cat back sure, but its just not worth it.

    hell a person can get a magnaflow stainless system and a ls6 intake and make more power
    $900 isn't that bad for a complete system when you think about it. I'll bet I have at least that much in the chevelle system, made of 3 different manufacures. It adds up quick. If you knew what I had in exhaust systems from experimenting with this car looking for speed it would probably make you puke.
    Worth it?? You really have to weigh cost per speed aquired to make that assumption. When we tested the 3 inch catbacks, they all provided about the same performance, but stepping up to the 4 inch Mufflex gained over 3 tenths and nearly 4 mph on the same car. Spent about $200 more than any of the other 3 inch catbacks cost. More than worth the money for a gain like that.
    It led us to believe a real dual system might have yielded even more on this car, but never got the chance to try it. But to Steve, he wouldn't have hesitated on cost if it made the car faster. It's all a matter of what you want out of a car. Do you want duals over the axle??
    Can you live with it dumped at the rearend?? Put up with ground clearance issues, noise, fumes??
    To me these 4th gens are too cushy and make nice cruisers to do something like that to it. But I'm not using them for all our drag cars either

  18. #78
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ft worth tx
    Posts
    22

    maroon
    2001 z28

    ok... what about all of the trucks that have dumped pipes and....mustangs lol guys in other forums are sayinf its just not legeal in houston or el paso lol .......and idea i guess il just call around...
    Last edited by txmz28; 11-28-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling

  19. #79
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Which is one of the reasons the true duals all the way out the back are beneficial.



    $900 isn't that bad for a complete system when you think about it. I'll bet I have at least that much in the chevelle system, made of 3 different manufacures. It adds up quick. If you knew what I had in exhaust systems from experimenting with this car looking for speed it would probably make you puke.
    Worth it?? You really have to weigh cost per speed aquired to make that assumption. When we tested the 3 inch catbacks, they all provided about the same performance, but stepping up to the 4 inch Mufflex gained over 3 tenths and nearly 4 mph on the same car. Spent about $200 more than any of the other 3 inch catbacks cost. More than worth the money for a gain like that.
    It led us to believe a real dual system might have yielded even more on this car, but never got the chance to try it. But to Steve, he wouldn't have hesitated on cost if it made the car faster. It's all a matter of what you want out of a car. Do you want duals over the axle??
    Can you live with it dumped at the rearend?? Put up with ground clearance issues, noise, fumes??
    To me these 4th gens are too cushy and make nice cruisers to do something like that to it. But I'm not using them for all our drag cars either
    I guess what i should of said was depending on application it may or may not be worth it. The more the car is pumping out, more so it behooves a person to get duals if looking for max hp.
    I hear you about dumping tons of cash into cars as i have myself threw out the years.
    I had a sweet 73 T/A back in the late 80s i ruined by making it into a drag car.
    I also had a 1981 Z/28 that i would just beat the hell out of and have to replace motors every year.
    The aftermarket has easily got 30k out of me and thats why i always suggest to peeps not to get trapped in that never ending hole

  20. #80
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    I guess what i should of said was depending on application it may or may not be worth it. The more the car is pumping out, more so it behooves a person to get duals if looking for max hp.
    I hear you about dumping tons of cash into cars as i have myself threw out the years.
    I had a sweet 73 T/A back in the late 80s i ruined by making it into a drag car.
    I also had a 1981 Z/28 that i would just beat the hell out of and have to replace motors every year.
    The aftermarket has easily got 30k out of me and thats why i always suggest to peeps not to get trapped in that never ending hole
    You got that right, it's a never ending hole But I don't know what else I'd be doing it it weren't for cars. At least my wife always knows where I'm at

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Chrome stainless steel dual/dual exhaust tips!
    By Ripper415 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 03:28 PM
  2. SS Dual Dual SLP Exhaust Question
    By aerojt in forum External Engine
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 01:34 PM
  3. SLP Dual Dual exhaust cat converters
    By Red Chevy in forum External Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 08:45 AM
  4. FS: Firehawk SLP Dual/Dual LS1 Exhaust System
    By John02Hawk in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 04:35 AM
  5. New SLP Chrome Exhaust Tips (dual/dual)
    By usafpilot05 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2006, 11:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •