Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

driving 6 speed manual on ice

This is a discussion on driving 6 speed manual on ice within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Usually the front of the trunk is over the axle. Behind the cab doesn't do any good on a truck ...

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Usually the front of the trunk is over the axle. Behind the cab doesn't do any good on a truck either cause then its too far forward.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

my total cost for a winter beater 93 buick lesabre has been

*car $800
    *decent hankook winter tires $300
    *saving my camaro.... ...priceless

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

hahaha i wish i had a winter car my camaro is my dd and my drag car lol

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

F-bods are great winter cars! Really, they are. Rwd makes for awesome turning control. You can actually take a corner without it pushing through the turn. I hate fwd in slippery conditions. I only run weight in the very back when the snow is supposed to be deep if it's only going to snow a couple of inches there is no need for extra weight. Pick up a set of stock 16's and put a set of good winter tires on them, 225/55/16's are the perfect size. Blizzak's are best for ice/deep snow. Good Year Ultra Grip GW3's are the best all arounder, and that's what I'm running now. They are great in the dry and really take turns nice. Blizzaks are like driving on sponges and wear very fast which is bad because once they are below half tread they are no better then a good all season tire. Snow sports handle good, but suck in the ice/packed snow/deep snow. I have not tried the X-ice's yet, and from what I hear they are very similar in performance to the Blizzaks. Yeah if your gutless and have no sense of adventure get an AWD car. Earlier this week there was an awd Volvo that spun out right in front of me! I was like take that for practical sucker!

Almost forgot, 2nd gear is good for taking off. If your spining then your putting to much gas into it. Go easy on all pedals and don't be afraid of taping the gas going into a corner to lock it in then get back on the gas to power out of it. I'm not talking about punching it to the floor just enough to slip a bit and go.
    Last edited by Hot Black Trans-Am; 12-18-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Red
    2001 Z28 Camaro

shit if there is ice or snow in my drive way i cant get the car out or back in the drive at all especially cuz my drive way is like a damn hill climb, but these cars are not made for the winter. just store it and get a pos that's what i do its also what i suggest

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    F-bods are great winter cars! Really, they are. Rwd makes for awesome turning control. You can actually take a corner without it pushing through the turn. I hate fwd in slippery conditions. I only run weight in the very back when the snow is supposed to be deep if it's only going to snow a couple of inches there is no need for extra weight. Pick up a set of stock 16's and put a set of good winter tires on them, 225/55/16's are the perfect size. Blizzak's are best for ice/deep snow. Good Year Ultra Grip GW3's are the best all arounder, and that's what I'm running now. They are great in the dry and really take turns nice. Blizzaks are like driving on sponges and wear very fast which is bad because once they are below half tread they are no better then a good all season tire. Snow sports handle good, but suck in the ice/packed snow/deep snow. I have not tried the X-ice's yet, and from what I hear they are very similar in performance to the Blizzaks. Yeah if your gutless and have no sense of adventure get an AWD car. Earlier this week there was an awd Volvo that spun out right in front of me! I was like take that for practical sucker!

Almost forgot, 2nd gear is good for taking off. If your spining then your putting to much gas into it. Go easy on all pedals and don't be afraid of taping the gas going into a corner to lock it in then get back on the gas to power out of it. I'm not talking about punching it to the floor just enough to slip a bit and go.

I have AWD and blizzaks and it is badass. Sometimes just for fun i decide to spool the turbo and take on completly unplowed roads with 8-12 inches of snow on them just for fun and see how much it takes for this car to get stuck. I can go through snow that is above my fog lights and almost up to my hood lol
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-22-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

I used to enjoy driving on the snow and it was never a big deal. When I purchased my 02 z28 with an m6 it didn't even cross my mind. Then came the first ice storm last year, on the Bridgestone Potenza. I drove home from work at a 45 degree angle on the final stretch, about 30 minutes, on pure ice. The ATS was lit up with all of the other lights like I was knight rider about to boost. When I was almost home I started to go up a small hill. The car actually started to slide backwards at its favorite angle. Everyone behind me just cut around like I was on crack. At that point I might as well have been. I'm sure a cop would have been suspicious I was totally freaking out. Stopping at a red light was awful. I'd pull into the lane on the right every time and scare the hell out of the person next to me.
    Last edited by ezwip; 12-23-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information