Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

driving 6 speed manual on ice

This is a discussion on driving 6 speed manual on ice within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Downshift too early and i can see you spinning out, upshifting would pointless imo But i dont live up where ...

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Downshift too early and i can see you spinning out, upshifting would pointless imo
    But i dont live up where you people live so what do i know

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Your buddies advice of trying to stay in 2nd is good. Don't start in 2nd though just don't be in too low of a gear, the extra torque is going to kill you!

I have always ran G-Force all weathers in the winter. The car performs great for what it is with those tires.

Deffinetly not a car you want to drive in the snow if you have a 4x4 in the driveway but if a second car is not an option you can do it just fine.

Good luck!

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    I had a buddy tell me once to upshift to slow down cuz downshifting will make you spin out dunno if its true I don't drive manuals in winter. My T/A handles just fine with the auto as long as you don't drive with your head up your ass. Then again I prefer RWD or 4WD vehicles to FWD vehicles in any road condition.
    Downshifting can help you slow down but your are at more risk for spin outs because when you downshift the RMPs climb...

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    My auto does okay in the snow until I try to get up my driveway. 30 degree incline that increases to 45 in the last 100 feet.
    Get a 4x4 suv or old pickup. Other thatn that. just follow the suggestions already made.
    I don't chains will work on the 4th gen. at least not with the stock wheels.
    I didn't mean snow chains, maybe more like snow cables like: http://www.fasteronline.co.uk/images/pr_snow_chains.jpg

But I imagine the ride wouldn't be too pleasant.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Some all season tires or snow tires makes a big difference. Take off tcs if you have it. When going a little bit of spinning will get you moving. Then just be light with the throttle. I have driven rwd vehicles all my life through the snow. Never got stuck even with the ice storms we have.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

for the amount of money to switch to winter tires each year, buy some cheap car... say a 93 buick lesabre like me $800 goes far

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    for the amount of money to switch to winter tires each year, buy some cheap car... say a 93 buick lesabre like me $800 goes far
    Reguardless I use winter tires on all my DDs in the winter months. Winter tires make a world of difference on any car, FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD. I laugh when I see all these huges 4x4 suvs and trucks sliding and getting stuck because they have crappy tires. 4WD dont mean shit if you dont have good tires.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsWS-6 View Post
    for slowing down use the gears and down shift. but i agree, dont drive it unless necessary. i drove mine on ice as well, felt like ice skating with a car. if you need to drive it, they also have studded tires.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Reguardless I use winter tires on all my DDs in the winter months. Winter tires make a world of difference on any car, FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD. I laugh when I see all these huges 4x4 suvs and trucks sliding and getting stuck because they have crappy tires. 4WD dont mean shit if you dont have good tires.
    Especially with those 20"+ wheels and summer tires.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Especially with those 20"+ wheels and summer tires.
    Haha yep, a buddy of mine bought a 02 m3 and told me when its cold he cant get any traction even on slightly damp streets. I took one look at his tires and said thats cause your summer tires freeze when its below 30 and its like driving on ice with ice tires lol.

black
    2000 camaro ss m6

get a beater! or a atv! camaros weren't made for the snow/ice, just the strip!
    It's nothing my credit card can't fix!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by damons00maross View Post
    get a beater! or a atv! camaros weren't made for the snow/ice, just the strip!
    actually they do just fine with the right type of tire...

SOM
    2002 SS

This post is just funny. There are no cars Designed specifically for winter driving. The tires are the only thing that contact the ground. Low tread depth, High heat compound and wide tires are just all BAD for snow and ice.

Put winters or good all season tires on a Camaro and you are BETTER off than many cars. they will drive great. I just put my winters on and wow yesterday we had a freak ice condition where I rolled past numerous vehicles stuck and I was laughing.

Do NOT put weight in your trunk if you can help it. Put the weight behind the 2 front seats on the floor, or on the back seats. The further back you put the weight the more of a pendulum effect you will get if you do slide. I showed this to a buddy in a pickup where we moved the sandbags behind the cab vs the end and the difference is dramatic. Keeping it close to the centre will make the car easier to control.

Arctic White, red/gray

While you are right that the tires are the only contact to the ground, ground clearance and power going to more wheels is always better for snow.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

My SS with wide tires actually gets pretty good traction in slick conditions, just as long as I don't "gun it". If you apply too much throttle, you're going around backwards.

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Move to Florida.
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Black
    2001 WS6

I recently bout a set of tires for both cars. They're continental conti extreme contact. I had them on the vette, and took the vette out in the snow. These tires did so well that i actually had to try to break free. They felt very planted. They're all season tires. I had my old 99ws6 in canada with me for school. Canada gets some bad blizzards. I drove the car all winter, and only got stuck once trying to get into an unplowed parking lot ( to do some doughnuts). It was an auto. Those who tell you to keep the rpms low, listen to. Try to keep the rpms around 1500. It's enough torque to keep you going, but not enough to cause u to spin out. As long as you have a constant speed, and ready torque, u should be fine, and I ALWAYS take off tcs in the snow. I rather have full control of the vehicle rather than the fuel get cut off and be in a worse spot than i was 2 seconds previous. Look into those tires, theyve got a deep snow traction rating. Theyre like $160 each? give or take a few. Keep some extra weight in the back, and drive as if anything stupid u do will put u in the ditch.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

If you do weight the rear: don't put it in the trunk. It will only help to aid traction if the weight is over the driven axle. The package tray is about the best location on an f-body. Just make sure if you use sand you double bag it to protect against leaks.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    I recently bout a set of tires for both cars. They're continental conti extreme contact. I had them on the vette, and took the vette out in the snow. These tires did so well that i actually had to try to break free. They felt very planted. They're all season tires. I had my old 99ws6 in canada with me for school. Canada gets some bad blizzards. I drove the car all winter, and only got stuck once trying to get into an unplowed parking lot ( to do some doughnuts). It was an auto. Those who tell you to keep the rpms low, listen to. Try to keep the rpms around 1500. It's enough torque to keep you going, but not enough to cause u to spin out. As long as you have a constant speed, and ready torque, u should be fine, and I ALWAYS take off tcs in the snow. I rather have full control of the vehicle rather than the fuel get cut off and be in a worse spot than i was 2 seconds previous. Look into those tires, theyve got a deep snow traction rating. Theyre like $160 each? give or take a few. Keep some extra weight in the back, and drive as if anything stupid u do will put u in the ditch.
    Another memeber on this site put them on the car. He said they worked well in the dry and rain too. I guess I know which tires I will be getting when the time comes.

RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

get a front wheel drive vw diesel rabbit. I don't touch my SS from October till April. the diesel rabbit hammers through snow and all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information