Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28, Bolt-Ons

Drag Radials.. first time purchase on virgin LS1!

After having my ass served on a silver platter to me by a suped up SRT4, i've been obsessed on my next encounter being absolutely dominating. So, to prepare for my next run, i've added 125 (maybe 150) shot of nitrous on a progressive controller, SLP lid, and a Quicktime cut-out (After cat, unfortunately, i live in Texas where they'll check.) Now, I'm interested in street-able drag radials that i can throw on just to embarrass this guy. My questions are as follows:

1.) Will my stock, 10-bolt rear end be in danger if i launch WITHOUT the nitrous

2.) What kind of tires would you suggest? (if at all)

Car has >40k miles on it, daily driven.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

1.) your stock 10-bolt is pretty much in danger on the launch no matter what if you actually hook. my best advise is dont launch with the nitrous and take it easy on the launch...you dont have to launch at a high rpm to get a good jump off the line

2.) never personally tried them but alot of people seem to really like the nitto 555r

NBM
    2002 Camaro

We were spraying a 175 shot off the line on a M/T 275/40/17 drag radial and never had a problem whatsoever. It would dead hook on the street on the spray.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    We were spraying a 175 shot off the line on a M/T 275/40/17 drag radial and never had a problem whatsoever. It would dead hook on the street on the spray.
    guess im speaking more from a broke college student POV. The rear end will probably be ok for a while....but I've heard/seen to many horror stories even on stock ls1 power to take the risk with hard launches

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28, Bolt-Ons

175 shot okay on stock motor??????

black
    99 z28 a4

ive read 20 hp per cylinder is considered safe on most stock engines and stock ignition timing but im not a spray guru... imo wouldnt risk any more with out havin it tuned or internals

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

While there's no doubt you can get away with it for a period of time, (unfortunately that period varies wildly) anything over a 150 shot is starting to put a good bit of stress on the stock bottom end. Since your car has a couple bolt ons, I'd feel comfortable with a 125 shot, maybe a 150 shot. If you add heads and a cam down the road, I'd exercise a bit more discretion with the amount of N2O you're spraying.

As for the drag radials -- results with the 10-bolt are a crap shoot at best. Slapping drag radial on the back of a 10-bolt car is a risk that you must accept going into it -- if you go that direction, try to exercise a bit of discretion with your driving habits. Dead hooking from 4,500 rpm could be real trouble for you -- it might take 300 hard launches, or it might take 3.

As for picking a good streetable drag radial, I'd highly recommend the Nitto 555R. Don't expect to go dead hook every time you run with them, however they are a substantial upgrade from the stock radials. You could go a little more extreme with the M/T DR's, however the usable lifespan is considerably shorter and hang on tight in the rain.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

White
    01 SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    While there's no doubt you can get away with it for a period of time, (unfortunately that period varies wildly) anything over a 150 shot is starting to put a good bit of stress on the stock bottom end. Since your car has a couple bolt ons, I'd feel comfortable with a 125 shot, maybe a 150 shot. If you add heads and a cam down the road, I'd exercise a bit more discretion with the amount of N2O you're spraying.

As for the drag radials -- results with the 10-bolt are a crap shoot at best. Slapping drag radial on the back of a 10-bolt car is a risk that you must accept going into it -- if you go that direction, try to exercise a bit of discretion with your driving habits. Dead hooking from 4,500 rpm could be real trouble for you -- it might take 300 hard launches, or it might take 3.

As for picking a good streetable drag radial, I'd highly recommend the Nitto 555R. Don't expect to go dead hook every time you run with them, however they are a substantial upgrade from the stock radials. You could go a little more extreme with the M/T DR's, however the usable lifespan is considerably shorter and hang on tight in the rain.
    x2 on the nitto 555Rs. I ran them for over a year on the street on my old car.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

are you going to run the tires all the time or just now and then? i say nitto for the life span if you want to run them all the time, but mt's for the hook if you only use them now and then. and you will want to look a new rear end if you run any of them.its only a mater of time befor it go's

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

My stock 10 bolt broke on street tires without launching. I mostly did roll racing. Be careful with it. I was completely stock too

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I've always said nitto 555r DR's are perfect for a bolt-on car. I got a bolt-on stalled auto and i use the 315 555R's, couldn't be happier. Dead hook on cement, asphalt sucks though.

You aren't going to the track every day, they will be perfect if you wait and spray in 2nd gear.

I was thinking about running like a 2 stage nitrous set up. 50 shot off the line, and 100 in second gear, still gotta read a lot cuz i dont know much about nitrous. That would put me at about 450rwhp, should be safe till a 150 shot.

Black
    98 Z28

I run the Nittos too, they hook pretty good as long as its not too cold. My advice for the rear end is to go ahead and replace it and add more gear. If the stock LS1 engine has the power to break the stock 10 bolt, nitrous without a doubt will seal the deal.

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

M/T 275/40/17 drag radials, or a wider than 275 nitto allbaugh 04 dang thoes are some wide tires, might also be why you grab so good.

Thread Information