Thread: doing mods

Hugger Orange
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

doing mods

Hey everyone. I'm finally going to start doing stuff to my car, but I have some questions first. The only thing i have done to it is a CAI and magnaflow exhaust. I plan on getting pacesetter longtubes because i have heard nothing but good things from people on here, and they are relatively cheap. I want to get gears... I hear a lot of people get 3.73s as well as 4.10s. I know 4.10s are more of a drag set up.. but i'm still not sure what would be best.. also does someone know of a good place to purchase them? Also i have an A4 so i was thinking of a stall. How is hookup on street tires with say.. a 3600 stall? Should I get a torque arm as well? I also wonder how the stall works... does it launch every single time you take off.. or do you have to engage it or press a button to make it launch? Sorry this is so long... just trying to do things the right way, and I know many people on here know what they're talking about. So anything will help.. thanks!

Pewter
    2001 Z28

I have the pacesetter longtubes and they are ok, but they bang on the floor boards otherwise they are really nice, I want to get gears too probably 3.42s though.

Psycho Therapist
    I take "the" out of

Quote Originally Posted by MNZ28 View Post
    I have the pacesetter longtubes and they are ok, but they bang on the floor boards otherwise they are really nice, I want to get gears too probably 3.42s though.

If you get some aftermarket motor mounts it will solve the problem of the lontubes banging on the floor board. they are like 50-90 dollars for the pair, and if you know what your doing, they may just take a short time to install.
    Check the sponsors on the side, or a local speed shop.

white
    2000 Z28

well us a4 guys dont have enough gears to where we would be hardly affected with 4.10s like the m6 guys so for mild play a solid choice is 3.73 so we wouldnt lose too much up top and gain enough down low to where it would be enjoyable and competitive. also its not a noticeable damper on gas mileage. unless of course you nitpick and are trying to keep that 1-2 mpg. a 3600 stall is what i am planning for aswell. it will not launch every time you move from a stop. im pretty sure it revs a bit higher but still will roll while in gear and act normal while driving and/or coasting. but when you floor it the rpms will spin freely up to close to specified stall speed and then the torque will be applied. so it doesnt change daily driving much from what ive seen and heard. but before applying all that torque to the tranny and frame. i would get some subframe connecters, a shift kit(transgo hd2 for the 4l60e is highly recommended), and a tranny cooler. just a little insurance. i would watch out for the tranny though. a stock 4l60e is a solid tranny for a little play but not real good for competition so just be wary.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

3600 stall + street tires + full throttle = slip and slide......

Normal driving = 3k rpm thru 1st, 2nd, 3rd and OD. Mine is set so the clutch engages at 40mph at normal throttle. I have a Fuddle 3400. I also have 3.73 gears.

I'd look into some SFC's so your car doesn't turn into a pretzel.

Even at 43k miles my A4 was showing some wear. I had it rebuilt to Stage 3 specs (Beast stainless steel sun shell, Raybestos clutches, torque management delete and a tranny shift kit + a few other mods that my tranny guy keeps a secret - his car runs 11.70's so I think he knows what he's doing) and I added a tranny cooler.

Last time at the track I ran a 12.66 @ 107+ with a 1.69 60'. This was with Nitto 555r's at 24 lbs.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 01-22-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MNZ28 View Post
    Have you tried the bumpstop hanger worked well for me and easier than motor mounts. I got mine at the ws6 store.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

thanks for the replies guys.. your help is much appreciated.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    3600 stall + street tires + full throttle = slip and slide......

Normal driving = 3k rpm thru 1st, 2nd, 3rd and OD. Mine is set so the clutch engages at 40mph at normal throttle. I have a Fuddle 3400. I also have 3.73 gears.

I'd look into some SFC's so your car doesn't turn into a pretzel.

Even at 43k miles my A4 was showing some wear. I had it rebuilt to Stage 3 specs (Beast stainless steel sun shell, Raybestos clutches, torque management delete and a tranny shift kit + a few other mods that my tranny guy keeps a secret - his car runs 11.70's so I think he knows what he's doing) and I added a tranny cooler.

Last time at the track I ran a 12.66 @ 107+ with a 1.69 60'. This was with Nitto 555r's at 24 lbs.
    +1 Right on the money!

That's how I totaled my SS.

485HP + 3600 Stall + Street Tires + Full Throttle = BAD DAY!!!!
    No Full Coverage, No Salvage, No Money, Lost about $23K! LIVE AND LEARN.

metallic pewter, red
    2002 Z28, 1972 Z28

So going from 2.73 to 3.73 how much top end would I lose?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by 1972_Z-28 View Post
    So going from 2.73 to 3.73 how much top end would I lose?
    How much top end do you need?

I have 3.73's and I'm at 2700rpm at 75mph in OD.

Thread Information