Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does California SS Camaro = Less Power?

Does anyone know if the 2002 SS cars that went to CA have less power than other states? There is RPO codeS for CA cars YA7 AND YF5.

Thanks
    Last edited by firehawk71; 12-22-2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Sorry should have stated the year 2002 SS

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I dont think it would have anything to do with it.

Black
    2000 T/A

I'm pretty sure that the only diff is a smog emitter? which couldn't make much of a diff..idk though

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

the only thing i know of is that some cars built in california are weaker, take the 4 cylinder iron-block i think it was called. you know, the camaro everyone tries to forget about, have something like 90 HP. they have a california edition corvette from the 80's also that was the same way. But just cuz it was sold in california shouldnt make a difference.

A buddy of mine got his STi in cali and it was a freakin beast.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Back in the day..and I'm from Cali, our cars were dogs..we used to try to go to Arizona and pick them up. The smog laws killed our cars perfomance. The factory had cars built to "California Specs" read 'slugs'. Not only that, but for quite some time, you couldn't even get a manual shift car! Imagine going into a dealership to purchase a brand new Camaro, or Vette, or even a truck and having them tell you "Nope, you're going to have to settle for an automatic" Those were rough times to be a Calif. resident. Still is hard with their tough smog laws now. Everybody gets a sniffer test, unlike here in Washington, and elsewhere from what I've read on this board, it's a simple OBD plug in and go as long as you're not tripping any codes. My car would never make it in Cali, I'd be in handcuffs calling my lawyer lol! Nope..I don't miss Cali at all...I'll take all this rain anyday over all the BS smog crap they have to go through, not to mention the actual smog they have to live with. I grew up and lived there for 43 years, no disrespect to any Cali people. Still a die hard Raiders fan, and have to take a bunch of crap for it here in Seattle for it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

^^ I hear ya bro. LA native transplanted to Tempe, AZ. Still a Raiders fan myself (and still taking crap for their lack of a team). OBDII here is the same: No codes and you're good to go. I love the way my car sounds with LT's & TD's dumped at the axle.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 01LSS6Camaro View Post
    Back in the day..and I'm from Cali, our cars were dogs..we used to try to go to Arizona and pick them up. The smog laws killed our cars perfomance. The factory had cars built to "California Specs" read 'slugs'. Not only that, but for quite some time, you couldn't even get a manual shift car! Imagine going into a dealership to purchase a brand new Camaro, or Vette, or even a truck and having them tell you "Nope, you're going to have to settle for an automatic" Those were rough times to be a Calif. resident. Still is hard with their tough smog laws now. Everybody gets a sniffer test, unlike here in Washington, and elsewhere from what I've read on this board, it's a simple OBD plug in and go as long as you're not tripping any codes. My car would never make it in Cali, I'd be in handcuffs calling my lawyer lol! Nope..I don't miss Cali at all...I'll take all this rain anyday over all the BS smog crap they have to go through, not to mention the actual smog they have to live with. I grew up and lived there for 43 years, no disrespect to any Cali people. Still a die hard Raiders fan, and have to take a bunch of crap for it here in Seattle for it.

How come there is so much SMOG on Cali? I would amagine that it would be alot worse in other areas?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    How come there is so much SMOG on Cali? I would amagine that it would be alot worse in other areas?
    Easy. California has some 60,000,000+ cars registered there. The LA basin (LA/OC area - pop approx 20 million) has some of the most heavily traveled freeways in the nation. They're more like long narrow parking lots. The 10 (Santa Monica) freeway in particular has THE most traffic in the nation (cars per miles traveled). And when the wind blows off the ocean it blows all the smog into the East and North. Some days you could literally cut it with a knife.

Also, from what I've read, the Sacramento area isn't much better.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Easy. California has some 60,000,000+ cars registered there. The LA basin (LA/OC area - pop approx 20 million) has some of the most heavily traveled freeways in the nation. They're more like long narrow parking lots. The 10 (Santa Monica) freeway in particular has THE most traffic in the nation (cars per miles traveled). And when the wind blows off the ocean it blows all the smog into the East and North. Some days you could literally cut it with a knife.

Also, from what I've read, the Sacramento area isn't much better.
    Yeah, actually I just googled it. They state that the envirnments sourounding Cali effect it also. Certain times a year it will be forced east and other times west. The climated pocket the smog in Cali.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

yeah living in cali has its benefits, well benefit, the day after a windy day and all the smog is gone, the weather is actually nice, other than that, pretty much traffic depicts my life, probably will never afford my own house till im 30, gas prices and stupid fucking foreigners, holy shit do asians have no clue on how to drive,

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    yeah living in cali has its benefits, well benefit, the day after a windy day and all the smog is gone, the weather is actually nice, other than that, pretty much traffic depicts my life, probably will never afford my own house till im 30, gas prices and stupid fucking foreigners, holy shit do asians have no clue on how to drive,
    Hey, you had 2 B.E.A.utiful F-Bodys, and I would be happy to have that!

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

yeah, i can say that everytime i get in one of my camaros i feel all better, until it gets wet or something lol,

yeah i had 3, the insurance jsut cut the check, my 99 fetched 10,800, which aint bad, the car had 150k miles on it, i bought it for 10 like 3 years ago lol, so all in all a success i should say, now its time for the procharger for my 02 haha lol,
    jk im just gonna take the differenace and pay it towards my 02

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

yeah, i can say that everytime i get in one of my camaros i feel all better, until it gets wet or something lol,

yeah i had 3, the insurance jsut cut the check, my 99 fetched 10,800, which aint bad, the car had 150k miles on it, i bought it for 10 like 3 years ago lol, so all in all a success i should say, now its time for the procharger for my 02 haha lol,
    jk im just gonna take the differenace and pay it towards my 02
    It still sucks to lose a car! I lost my 97SS. I got 12K for it but, damn, I miss it! I hope you got plenty of picS!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Corona, huh? Unfortunately you get all the crap air in the LA basin. I was lucky enough to have been born and raised in the South Bay area (Gardena) but I could never afford a house. I now live in Tempe, AZ and have a house with a pool. I'm actually glad to be away from the hustle and bustle of LA but I do miss the weather in the Summer.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    It still sucks to lose a car! I lost my 97SS. I got 12K for it but, damn, I miss it! I hope you got plenty of picS!
    got plenty, and plenty of memories as well, that was my first "fast car" i love that car.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Corona, huh? Unfortunately you get all the crap air in the LA basin. I was lucky enough to have been born and raised in the South Bay area (Gardena) but I could never afford a house. I now live in Tempe, AZ and have a house with a pool. I'm actually glad to be away from the hustle and bustle of LA but I do miss the weather in the Summer.

well actualy, since my house is in the mountains, or high up, i look over that valley and see all the smog settling, it really doesnt gather in the foothills,

as for the cali summer, its nice but for living in arizonia in the summer, that would take some getting used to for sure

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

That's funny 67RSSSCamaro..Because I grew up in Torrance, then inheritited a house in Moreno Valley in 1991. In retrospect, should have sold the house in MoVal, and put the money down on a home closer to work in Santa Monice. I made that crazy 160 mile commute DAILY for 3 years from Moreno Valley to Santa Monica and back on the 10 Frwy / 60 Frwy (past Corona) But the home was completely paid for, and I was a young man who thought I wanted the American dream of owning a home [outright]. Camarojunky knows what happened to property values in the Inland Empire after the early 90's boom, they sunk to a all time low, and my entire block became rentals, lost about 70K in value.
    Sold it and moved to the Emerald City. My lungs have been thanking me ever since, I will never live in a valley again.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

nice well like you said the market took a huge shit, at least you could sell most cant and are forced into forclosure and bankruptcy, i think its pretty funny actually, when the housing market boomed, i would see all the local real estate agents buying bran new escalades and houses and all sorts of shit, now they commute to a minimum wage job in beat up civics and share a apartment with 5 other people in the same boat, kinda shitty but thats what happens when you live outside of your means ya know, sorry off topic i know

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

You said it...if my house wasn't paid for, I would have been in trouble too. When I decided I could no longer drive 160 miles a day, and work/drive 14+ hours daily, I quit that lucrative position, and opened my own business in Palm Desert, when that folded 4 years later, I was in the same boat. Nothing but min. wage jobs locally, hard to make a living unless I went back to driving into LA again. Nothing I could see to do but bail out...
    I apoligize too for being off topic...I'm all done

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

well it looks like you landed on your feet, kudos,

as for the cali cars having less power, im not sure what year it was mandated but pretty much for all GAS automobiles, they all had the same standard smog equipment, i wanna say when obd2 hit in 96,

Thread Information